Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-03-2017, 04:31 PM   #1

Just winterized for first time. How did I do?

Just finished winterizing for first time. 29.5 BHDS. Here are my steps.

Bypassed water heater, relived pressure, and drained. Got some white sticky stuff all over my hands when I took out the drain plug. (Does that mean I need to put something on the threads when I get it ready for spring?)

I drained my freshwater tank.

I opened all my faucets and then opened the low point drains. Nothing came out. I then blew air through it, and still nothing came out.

Since nothing came out I closed the low point drain valves, and started blowing out the water lines one at a time at 30 psi until it was mostly air. This included outside kitchen, inside kitchen sink, bathroom sink, shower, toilet and outside shower.

Then I pumped RV antifreeze through the lines until I saw it run out of each faucet. Then with the remaining antifreeze I poured a little down each drain to fill up the p traps, and poured some in toilet to keep gasket from drying out.

After that I hooked my drain valve into my portable tank, opened my black tank valve and hooked my blow out valve to the black tank rinse and blew that out.

Finally I closed my black tank valve, and opened up all three of my grey tank valves and left them open to trickle out for several hours. (I live in a rural area, so no issue with grey water going into my pasture.)

Notes:
For anybody not sure where the low point drain valve is on a 29.5 BHDS, it is behind the outdoor stove. Just pull the drawer all the way out, and you will find them.

Should I be concerned that nothing came out of my low point drains?

How long should I have blown each line. I did it until I could no longer see water spraying out, and I could hear only air. I then went about another minute on each faucet just to be sure. However, even though I could not see any water coming out, If I put my dry hand under the faucet, I could still feel a very fine mist (very fine) coming out. Was this good enough, especially since I then ran antifreeze through the lines?

Anything else I might have missed? I guess I will find out when spring arrives.
tim665214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 05:02 PM   #2
Site Team

Use Teflon tape instead pipe dope.

When opening your low point drains you need to open the taps inside.

You may have done more than necessary with the blowing out then the antifreeze but overkill is good if it prevents any damage.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 07:21 AM   #3

Right if you are using antifreeze, there is really no need to blow air. I just make sure that I have some antifreeze in the grey and black tanks and I leave my fresh water tank open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mod: Dimming awning
Dimming Floor light
Shocks
Custom bike/kayak rack
SOMBATFAMILY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 01:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOMBATFAMILY View Post
Right if you are using antifreeze, there is really no need to blow air. I just make sure that I have some antifreeze in the grey and black tanks and I leave my fresh water tank open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I used to leave our fresh water drain open, but one year the dirt daubers got to it before I closed it! Often wonder it they got inside the tank.
AFDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 02:03 PM   #5

I have a new 2018" Jay Flight 28 RLS. I have not used the FW tank, only city water. Do I need to do anything to the FW tank?
dennygjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 02:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennygjr View Post
I have a new 2018" Jay Flight 28 RLS. I have not used the FW tank, only city water. Do I need to do anything to the FW tank?
Just drain your FW tank for winter and sanitize it before you use it in the spring.

You did/will winterize the rest of the water system, correct?
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 02:54 PM   #7

Quote:
No, you don't.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 09:54 PM   #8

You did good. Just to make sure you flushed the toilet and run the outside shower, to get antifreeze in those lines too.

I do two more steps, once I antifreeze, I blow the antifreeze out of the lines. Then I pour a little mineral oil down each trap and a little on top of the toilet too. The mineral oil keeps the antifreeze from evaporating. This something not many people do.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 10:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
I do two more steps, once I antifreeze, I blow the antifreeze out of the lines. Then I pour a little mineral oil down each trap and a little on top of the toilet too. The mineral oil keeps the antifreeze from evaporating. This something not many people do.
That's a good idea. I do that to my house toilets when I head to Florida for the winter. I use cheap baby oil from the dollar store.
Old 12-05-2017, 05:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim665214 View Post
Then I pumped RV antifreeze through the lines until I saw it run out of each faucet.
Did you do both hot and cold side on every faucet?
Old 12-08-2017, 10:14 AM   #11

Quote:
Just because you never used it doesn't mean the dealer didn't put some water in it and use the water pump during pre-delivery prep or if they did a walk through for you. I'd never assume it has been dry since the build.
rfortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 01:12 PM   #12

Quote:
I would open the low-point drains. The dealer should have put some water in the tank during their check-out process, so there might be a gallon or two sloshing around in there.
crumgater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 02:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by crumgater View Post
I would open the low-point drains. The dealer should have put some water in the tank during their check-out process, so there might be a gallon or two sloshing around in there.
... and if they did, it's likely they ran the water pump at that time. That could mean the water pump and the line to the water tank is full of water.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote