Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-30-2019, 05:21 PM   #21

THank you I will see if I can do that.
bourbonfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 06:49 PM   #22

vertiyak.com makes kayak racks for 2" receivers. The pictures attached show the 2 I have on a Tracer with an aftermarket Mount-n-Lock 4" aluminum bumper rated at 500 lbs. This setup if good for kayaks with lengths up to 11'. I plan on using the same setup on a Jayco 357MDOK but with a 6" Mount-n-Lock bumper. Though the kayaks only weigh 40-45 a piece, there can be a fair amount of flex if the ride gets rough.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0575.jpg   IMG_5036.jpg  
riesarott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 08:37 PM   #23

If you was to tow a trailer behind your 5th Wheel in Florida you would get a ticket that would cost more than a new Kayak would....
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 09:25 PM   #24

Dean made this rack for our 10' kayaks after looking online. We have a rear camera so are able to watch them while going down the road, they have never hit the back of the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
FB_IMG_1498312966977.jpg   20170623_161007.jpg  
NE Minnesota
deanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 06:29 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by riesarott View Post
vertiyak.com makes kayak racks for 2" receivers. The pictures attached show the 2 I have on a Tracer with an aftermarket Mount-n-Lock 4" aluminum bumper rated at 500 lbs. This setup if good for kayaks with lengths up to 11'. I plan on using the same setup on a Jayco 357MDOK but with a 6" Mount-n-Lock bumper. Though the kayaks only weigh 40-45 a piece, there can be a fair amount of flex if the ride gets rough.
We just purchased a Jayco 357MDOK and looking for a way to carry my Pelican Catch 120 Kayak that is 11' 8". I though about the Vertiyak or making something similar but looks like it will put the kayak to far above the roof and I also don't want to have it sitting to low where it will hit when going up a driveway. What setup did you go with?
matt1751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 08:37 AM   #26

Here is a Vertiyak installed on a 2021 357MDOK. We carry 2 12.5' Wilderness Systems Pungo 120 Kayaks on it. I decided to add a Mount-n-Lock 6" bumper so I could move the firewood out of the truck bed. The Vertiyak rack is adjustable so you can set ground clearance to suit your needs. In an above post I showed 2 Vertiyaks on a 2018 Tracer with a Mount-n-Lock 4" bumper. I like the racks, but be prepared for a lot of flexing. You're supporting 10-12' of vertical mass only at one point. This flexing was our decision to upgrade to the 6" bumper. The rack can also easily be moved from the trailer to the TV for transporting.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2186.jpg   IMG_2377.jpg   IMG_5886.jpg   IMG_8836.jpg  
riesarott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 11:52 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by riesarott View Post
Here is a Vertiyak installed on a 2021 357MDOK. We carry 2 12.5' Wilderness Systems Pungo 120 Kayaks on it. I decided to add a Mount-n-Lock 6" bumper so I could move the firewood out of the truck bed. The Vertiyak rack is adjustable so you can set ground clearance to suit your needs. In an above post I showed 2 Vertiyaks on a 2018 Tracer with a Mount-n-Lock 4" bumper. I like the racks, but be prepared for a lot of flexing. You're supporting 10-12' of vertical mass only at one point. This flexing was our decision to upgrade to the 6" bumper. The rack can also easily be moved from the trailer to the TV for transporting.
Thanks for the reply, We have a 2020 357MDOK. There is no factory rear bumper only a trailer hitch. I was looking at the Vertiyak mounts. I have a Aluminium cargo carrier that I am going to try to modify today to see if it will work to build my own rack otherwise I'll order the Vertiyak. My main concern was being over 13'6 with the Kayak. Thanks Matt
matt1751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 04:51 PM   #28
eow

Kayak hauling with a 5th wheel?

Having a FW, we recently went the inflatable route as soon as the Advanced Elements AirVolution inflatable kayak was introduced. We have no regrets going this route after many years renting kayaks for short touring trips.

Inflated to 10 psi, it is rock hard and stiff like a hard shell. I am impressed with the drop stitch tech used in its design and in use on SUPs.

It is worth noting that under deck storage is very limited in height due to the air chambers, so for our short trips we added deck bags.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1187.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	203.5 KB
ID:	62957

Here is a preview by AirKayaks.com that caught my attention: https://airkayaks.wordpress.com/2020...nced-elements/

And here is my review posted on their website:
Just What We Have Waited For

Having a fifth wheel trailer has meant that we had to rent kayaks at our destinations since it is impractical to haul hard body kayaks. Some rental kayaks were OK, but most were not very good for touring.
We have been watching the introduction of kayaks with the drop stitch technology", but the early offerings were more canoe like than a kayak and reviews suggested they may not be very stable.
As soon as we became aware of the AirVolution kayak we requested to be added to the notification list. The next day we were able to place our order for two and a few days later and just prior to our vacation they arrived.
I was very impressed with the quality of the AirVolutions and the attention to details. One concern I had prior to receiving the AirVolutions was how difficult it would be to clean the interior of sand and gravel. Turns out the concern was not warranted given how the interior is shaped to funnel water to the drain "cup" area and the absence of hidden folds.
Inflating the two chambers did not take much effort or time and transporting the AirVolutions on kayak dollies was effortless. Their stability was immediately apparent once in the water. At close to 200 pounds, I was able to sit on the side, rinse my feet of sand and then pivot into the cockpit without taking on any water.
I cannot judge the AirVolution’s speed or paddling effort relative to other kayaks. But I did notice that my wife and I were touring further and faster than other paddlers in the area. Our longest excursion was approximately 3 hours.
The AirVolutions were also a big hit with our adult children and granddaughters. The large cockpit allowed our granddaughters to sit facing their parent. The parents appreciated the stability of the AirVolutions and enjoyed the experience with their daughters. My son was even able to use the AirVolution as a paddle board.
We are very happy with the AirVolution kayaks and look forward to many more paddling adventures.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
eow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 05:52 PM   #29

eow - We have had the Advanced Elements AdvanceFrame Convertible 15' two person kayak for a almost 2 years. We faced the same issue you did, we had nice hardside touring kayaks that we love (and still have) but could not carry them once we switched from a travel trailer to a fifth wheel. We have had good use of ours, but I wish the ones you got were available when we bought ours. They look like the perfect set-up for fifth wheels. Other than weight and volume the inflatable is ideal: Advanced Elements is the best on the market.
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS Modern Farmhouse (16" wheels, spring shackles set on lower hole of frame, SumoSprings TSS-107-40, standard kingpin, B&W Companion slider, TST-507 TPMS, Progressive Industries hardwired 50A EMS HW-50C)
2019 F250 SRW SuperCab 4X4 SB 6.2 (10,000# GVW) 3.73 Axle 18" wheels
Nature Ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 06:38 PM   #30

Another Option - YAKUPS

I have also been evaluating options for carrying Kayaks and bikes. I came across the YAKUPS brand. Their website is https://www.rvkayakracks.com/.

They have different models for different setups, etc. Curious if anyone has experience with this brand, etc.?
Attached Thumbnails
Yakups.jpg  
GreenBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 09:21 AM   #31

I modified a cargo rack and built a Kayak nose holder out of PVC to carry two Kayaks. Plenty of space for other items as well. Works very well, easy to load/unload Kayaks. Total investment about $140 bucks.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1408.jpg  
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 09:06 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
Attachment 55223

Our 10’ kayaks on top of the truck using the rhino rack bars.
I’m replying to an old post regarding your kayak racks. We have the F250 with 6.5’ bed and the Pelican 10’ kayaks. We also have the Rhino Racks. Looks good. Any issues with turning or backing up? I’m new to this 5th wheel thing so appreciate your help.

2014 Jayco Eagle Touring 28.5 RKD

Waltdrechsler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 07:21 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltdrechsler View Post
I’m replying to an old post regarding your kayak racks. We have the F250 with 6.5’ bed and the Pelican 10’ kayaks. We also have the Rhino Racks. Looks good. Any issues with turning or backing up? I’m new to this 5th wheel thing so appreciate your help.
Not speaking for Magnolia Tom but I have a friend who hauled his 10 foot kayaks like this. The bed length doesn't really factor in so much (as long as you have a crew cab) you just have to be sure they are tied down at both ends in addition to strapping them down good to the Rhino bars meaning you will have cable or rope going down in front of the windshield. Also you might consider putting something down over the top of the cab (under the kayaks) like a mat that can be strapped down to help with the dust and sand. It can literally sandblast your paint on the top of the cab if you go through a lot of dust. My friend traveled from Texas to Florida and back and noticed the damage from dust/sand.
2016 Ram 2500 CC SWB 6.4 Hemi 3:73
2021 Jay Flight 33RBTS- +/- 10,500 lbs. on travel day
Hughes Power Watchdog Bluetooth surge protector
Jerry713 is offline   Reply With Quote