Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-21-2020, 01:04 PM   #1

Keep the camper running box

While getting my camper ready for this year I have been going through the “keep the camper running box” I carry and rethinking it. I have a set of mechanics tools in my tow vehicle, so the box is additional camper specific items. Some of this stuff I could pick up at Home Depot if I needed it but I still want it for middle of the night problems and other items are specialty things it wouldn’t be easy to get out on the road. There are separate boxes for the typical hook-up stuff like black water fittings, tank treatment, drinking water hoses and electrical connectors for shore power.

The following is what I plan to carry in the “keep the camper running box” going forward, I would be interested to know what others carry and/or think of my list:

Electrical
1. Fuses – the DC power on a camper uses fuses (AC is circuit breakers), I went through the power distribution panel and carry spares for all the sizes in the panel, there are also a couple of fuses on the control board of my refrigerator, and I installed an inverter/charger and I carry extra fuses for the battery connection (400 amps!).
2. DC Splicing supplies – on my old travel trailer I had critters chew through the wires to the refrigerator and on my fifth wheel they chewed through the control wires for the stabilizer jacks. I carry 3 feet of red and black 16, 14, 12, and 10-gauge wire and a variety of crimps so I can repair damaged wire segments. I also carry some larger crimps for my battery and inverter charger connections in case they come loose and a wire stripper, and a crimping tool.
3. AC splicing supplies – 10’ each of 14-2 with ground and 12-2 with ground Romex and assorted wire nuts and in-line connectors.
4. Electrical tape
5. Batteries – I dry camp a lot and try to avoid having to run generators for the AC, I carry several battery fans that run on D cells. I carry 10 – D-cells, 3 C-cells (flashlights), and AA and AAA batteries.
6. Solar – I put 4 – 200 watts solar panels on the roof and I carry extra MC4 connectors in case one shakes loose on the roof from the air flow while driving.
7. Meter – Greenlee small digital multi meter plus tic tracer and outlet tester.
8. Tie Wraps – bag of 11” tie wraps

Plumbing
1. PEX – 3’ of ½” PEX tubing and SharkBite pro connect twist-on plastic fittings, 1 shut off valve, 2 – tees, 2 – elbows, 2 – end caps. I didn’t want to carry the standard brass/copper ones due to weight. I have never had a plumbing problem but if I ever have a line burst I figure I can cap it off or repair it with these supplies.

Propane
1. Regulator - I had the regulator fail on my travel trailer and I also own two utility trailers that I have installed propane appliances in and have had a regulator fail on one of them. What I hear is that propane regulators only last a few years so I carry a spare regulator.
2. Thread tape – gas line thread tape, I could also use this on any plumbing fittings.

Leaks
1. Roof tape – EternaBond 4” tapes for any roof leaks or tears.
2. Calking – Dicor, both leveling and non-leveling plus a calking gun

Miscellaneous
1. Parts – a variety of nails including small finishing nails, black wood screws, bolts, stainless steel self-tappers and screws.
2. Hammer and punch for recessing brads
3. Drill – a cordless drill with a set of drill bits and driver bits plus a #10 wood screw counter sink drill bit to use with the wood screws I carry.
4. Glue – wood glue and super glue and a spring-loaded clamp to hold things in place while I glue them. I have had doors break on my travel trailer.
5. Duct tape
6. Lube plates – 2 fifth wheel lube plates, I had the plate disappear once.
7. Clothes line and clothes pins, bungee cords and some foils catch pans for my grill.
8. Work gloves
9. Terry and microfiber cloths
10. WD40 – small spray can
11. Box of XL black nitrile gloves
12. Locking cable for securing generators to the camper bumper

I carry all of this in a waterproof plastic bin I bought at the container store with everything organized inside in smaller bins and parts organizers.
Scottenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 01:12 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottenj View Post
The following is what I plan to carry in the “keep the camper running box” going forward, I would be interested to know what others carry and/or think of my list:
Only thing missing is the spare refrigerator, air-conditioner and stove...

Never made a list or had everything in one place, but always had a "bunch" of repair parts on hand. As you said you never know.
Old 05-21-2020, 01:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Only thing missing is the spare refrigerator, air-conditioner and stove...

Never made a list or had everything in one place, but always had a "bunch" of repair parts on hand. As you said you never know.
That why I posted it, I am curious to see what kind of problems other people have had to fix. I know what I have seen but I am sure there are lots of problems that come up that I haven't seen yet. I have had utility trailers for 14 years, some modified for camping and campers for 7 years, always learning.
Old 05-21-2020, 01:41 PM   #4

Quote:
That why I posted it, I am curious to see what kind of problems other people have had to fix.
Actually never used the stuff much for repairs, but had it along. Used more for mods than anything.
Old 05-21-2020, 03:44 PM   #5
Site Team

One other item we carry in the TV is a pop rivet/nutsert tool, with a variety of rivets and nutserts. We also bring a few sheets of sand paper, especially fine wet-or-dry. That got me out of trouble (actually my BIL rented a pop up with a burned buss bar) with something that had to be made useable in order to have electricity in the camper, for a two week stay.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 12:19 AM   #6

Fuses, tool kit, spare tire, beer... if all else fails, at least the beer makes me feel better about it.

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 10:10 AM   #7

Duct tape and WD40. If it's not suppose to move and it does - duct tape. If it is suppose to move and it doesn't WD40.

Actually I use better versions of both, but y'all get the idea.

BTW, I've only ever been in a jam once. I needed a 40 Amp fuse which way away from any stores. Like two hour drive away. Luckily, the only other RV within sight had one.
Old 05-22-2020, 10:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
One other item we carry in the TV is a pop rivet/nutsert tool, with a variety of rivets and nutserts. We also bring a few sheets of sand paper, especially fine wet-or-dry. That got me out of trouble (actually my BIL rented a pop up with a burned buss bar) with something that had to be made useable in order to have electricity in the camper, for a two week stay.
Have you used the pop rivets/nutserts on your camper, I hadn't thought of that one, what kind of things did you secure with it?

Sandpaper is a good one, light and cheap and lots of uses.
Old 05-22-2020, 10:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyrotor View Post
Fuses, tool kit, spare tire, beer... if all else fails, at least the beer makes me feel better about it.
You carry beer in your keep the camper running box, I keep mine in the refrigerator, LOL.
Old 05-22-2020, 10:53 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaftCoach View Post
Duct tape and WD40. If it's not suppose to move and it does - duct tape. If it is suppose to move and it doesn't WD40.

Actually I use better versions of both, but y'all get the idea.

BTW, I've only ever been in a jam once. I needed a 40 Amp fuse which way away from any stores. Like two hour drive away. Luckily, the only other RV within sight had one.
I have only had relatively minor things fail on the road, most of the big stuff happened in my driveway. I freely admit I like to be more prepared than most other people.

For example, I'm sure very few people carry a propane regulator but I have had them fail twice, everything I read says they fail a lot, you can't just pick one up at Home Deport and we dry camp a lot. If we lost propane dry camping we would have no refrigerator, hot water, cooking or heat, that would be a big deal so to me it is worth the cost, size and weight to have peace of mind.
Old 05-25-2020, 11:36 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Have you used the pop rivets/nutserts on your camper, I hadn't thought of that one, what kind of things did you secure with it?

Sandpaper is a good one, light and cheap and lots of uses.
I've had the chance to use the pop rivets on a friends camper that got skirt panel damage, after a close telephone pole jumped out into the side of his TT!

The nutserts came in handy to repair a couple of stripped out lower door hinge screws, courtesy of the same pole. It's really a long story...

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 07:38 AM   #12

I carry spare Air Conditioner capacitors, both start and run, 2 complete wheel bearing assemblies (Inner - Outer and Seals). I have most of the other stuff you do as well for plumbing and electrical.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 07:40 AM   #13

I also carry 2 large heavy duty ratchet straps to use in case of a tank mounting failure. That is one of my biggest fears... The straps are actually car tie downs from my auto transport trailer.

2022 33RBTS
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Old 05-26-2020, 08:56 AM   #14

You carry a lot. If I full timed, I can see having more than I do. I have a tiny tools box maybe 4"x 4"x 12". If it is not in the box, I will go shopping, or limp through the weekend and fix it at home.

Your list is missing light bulbs.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 09:01 AM   #15

I also keep some Atwood water heater parts on hand.. extra nylon plugs, thermal couplers (had them go on me before)
Old 05-26-2020, 09:04 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
I carry spare Air Conditioner capacitors, both start and run, 2 complete wheel bearing assemblies (Inner - Outer and Seals). I have most of the other stuff you do as well for plumbing and electrical.
Thanks

Are the air conditioning capacitors something that fails a lot?
Old 05-26-2020, 09:06 AM   #17

Quote:
Thanks

Are the air conditioning capacitors something that fails a lot?
Yes, they are a commonly failed part and a pretty easy fix...

2022 33RBTS
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Old 05-26-2020, 09:07 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
You carry a lot. If I full timed, I can see having more than I do. I have a tiny tools box maybe 4"x 4"x 12". If it is not in the box, I will go shopping, or limp through the weekend and fix it at home.

Your list is missing light bulbs.
I have all LED lights so the chance of failure is pretty low.

I do carry a lot, I admit I like to be more prepared than most people. I also dry camp a lot sometimes at place where having to go out looking for parts would be a pain.