Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-30-2019, 02:37 PM   #21

I don't have a lot of really expensive stuff in my 5er storage compartments. My theory is I'd rather have someone use a key and take my cheap stuff than grab a crow bar and gouge the crude out of the compartment door and door frame. How much would that cost? Now I'd have to pay to get the 5er fixed and pay to replace some cheap stuff.
I do have a gen in the front that I chain to the front landing gear. That would be the big loss. My 5er sits at my house or at a CG when in use.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 03:28 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by goducks View Post
I don't have a lot of really expensive stuff in my 5er storage compartments. My theory is I'd rather have someone use a key and take my cheap stuff than grab a crow bar and gouge the crude out of the compartment door and door frame. How much would that cost? Now I'd have to pay to get the 5er fixed and pay to replace some cheap stuff.
I do have a gen in the front that I chain to the front landing gear. That would be the big loss. My 5er sits at my house or at a CG when in use.

That's what insurance is for. They will pay to have the trailer repaired and replace stolen items. I never worry about it beyond keeping the doors locked.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 03:37 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Earl View Post
That's what insurance is for. They will pay to have the trailer repaired and replace stolen items. I never worry about it beyond keeping the doors locked.

Earl
Depending on your deductible it could be more expensive.
I find it interesting that if you start a thread about stuff being stolen that 99% of respondents have had nothing stolen.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 03:54 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by goducks View Post
Depending on your deductible it could be more expensive.
I find it interesting that if you start a thread about stuff being stolen that 99% of respondents have had nothing stolen.
Kinda of. You can have no or low deductible insurance. These days it doesn't take much damage to meet or exceed your deductible. Especially when items are stolen. My RV insurance has no deductible. It's normally 500 at my choice but after 2 or 3 years of no claims it disappears and starts over after a claim. No extra charge either. Some companies charge for that feature. Pays to shop around when it comes to insurance for not only costs but what is included and the benefits. It will allow you to be carefree about worrying about your RV beyond keeping it locked.

I've had several insurance claims on my RV's but none for stolen items. But if some ever decided to take my 500.00 satellite or my hundreds of dollars of DVDs, etc my insurance will take care of it. I have plenty of personal and accessories coverage on my policy.

Not sure if people don't have their RV's insured or not insured enough for them to worry about locks getting picked and such. Have plenty of insurance, and don't worry about it. You can't stop anyone from stealing your stuff if they want it. Hell, it's common anymore for them to take the whole trailer from storage lots or dealer lots.

Long story short, get insurance and live without worries.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 04:06 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjack99 View Post
I was concerned when we purchased our 2014 287BHBE and I found out all the storage area locks for Jayco happened to use the same key. Coming from an Airstream I was dumbfounded. (sure wish I still had that Airstream, sigh).

To somewhat calm the issue in my brain, I purchased a set of those circular key locks, all coded the same, and installed them on all the cargo entry points. Now I don't have to worry about the storage guys and visitors at least that happen to have a Jayco key. Peace of mind is worth something.

And, since our TT has a front bed, when the hinge collapsed one night at 2:30 in the AM dumping wife and self into the front cargo storage area; when I fixed it (dealer will NEVER EVER get his worthless paws on my trailer again!) I got the bright idea of installing a bulkhead between the storage area and the space under the bed. So now, anyone breaking in via storage area is faced with a bulkhead keeping him out of the trailer. And if he thinks he go in via the rear cargo area and push up the cover under the bunk, hahahahaah, let him try! If he can fight his way through all that crap that is stuffed in there, then he deserves access I guess. Again, peace of mind.

But of course, anyone with crowbars / axes / etc could still get in. So far no problems in that area. But I sure miss my Airstream.......

cheers
cactus
Cactus - I love your story. :-) I'm envisioning that Desi and Lucy moment. That sort of thing always seems to happen in the middle of the night. And I agree with your philosophy, I do what I can to keep what's mine.
Moving Along is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 06:01 PM   #26

Somebody needs to invent a life sized Doberman with a motion activated amplified ferocious bark and growl.
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 06:53 PM   #27
75H

Viper

I was guided to Viper Smart Start by someone that really knows electronics. He pinned doors & outside cabinets but left the ignition alone. The entry door was tricky, had something to do with the steps, but he knew which capacitor or resistor was needed. A subscription gives us full-on alarm notification, ability to lock/unlock remotely, and GPS tracking via cell phone app.

Factory keyfobs still work. In a campground, I can arm/disarm silently so as not to disturb others. Armed, there is a flashing blue light blinking in the front window warning would-be key bumpers to move along to the next coach.

To date, the Smart Start s my favorite mod, it is very well thought out. During a year of use, the only downside encountered is battery drain after approximately one month of storage (lol, the app notified me). However, the storage place is more secure than the coach, so I simply added a twist disconnect to the vehicle battery. Keyfobs kept their programming, problem solved.

The thought of someone messing with our stuff is one I don't like carrying around on a trip.

2018 Greyhawk 29MVP
75H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 06:55 PM   #28

I am A locksmith and lock bumping is not as easy as some say. I can pick A lock on an RV faster than you use a key. You can put a $1000 dollar lock on your door and it will not make any difference. If someone wants in they will get in. Just make yours is less appealing than the one next door.
spacenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 07:31 PM   #29

Front door breach?
Attached Thumbnails
98CA536F-2231-489F-AB4B-9E8D62BBAED8.jpeg  
Bstrine99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 01:40 AM   #30

Fret not. There are easier entry methods.

Locks are time-delay devices for deterring theft, not for preventing theft. Any lock can be defeated with sufficient time. Bank vaults take more time to defeat. Padlocks take less time to defeat.

Commercial fishermen have occasionally purchased expensive corrosion-resistant locksets from my lockshop. I always advised them that their investment will not provide a return. I’ve always recommended inexpensive locks for small 32’ commercial fishing vessels. These can be changed every year or two when corrosion sets in. Commercial fishing vessel wheel houses are almost 360˚ of glass. A thief can defeat the glass in seconds, rendering the expensive lock pointless.

A travel trailer is much like a commercial fishing vessel. There are so many easy methods to bypass a travel trailer door or to defeat the travel trailer door-lock. As another forum-responder posted, obtain good insurance.
Arctic Bos'un is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 04:58 AM   #31

Quote:
Locks are for honest people. Theives will always get you. No need to pick a lock, break the window, break the fiberglass door, prybar the latch and etc. Have insurance and enjoy life as best as you can.

Earl
X2!

John from Central Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 06:37 AM   #32
Site Team

The 751 lock should not be referred to as a Jayco key. It will fit virtually any rv ever made. It;s the industry standard compartment lock until a few years ago when the slam locks came into play.

I have surprised many a camper who had no way to get in their storage by whipping out my key ring and letting them in their storage.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 03:28 PM   #33

Quote:
Locks are for honest people. Theives will always get you. No need to pick a lock, break the window, break the fiberglass door, prybar the latch and etc. Have insurance and enjoy life as best as you can.

Earl
Good Advice!
redley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bumping, deadbolt, door lock, key