Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-22-2019, 11:26 AM   #1

Exclamation Key Bumping

Hello. I'm in search of any information concerning the susceptibility of RV door locks to key bumping. If you are not familiar with key bumping I advise you to become so. It is a simple technique to open about 90% of the household deadbolts out there alarmingly quickly. If your RV has a keyless entry with a keyed override, this may impact you as well. There are dozens of videos on the net demonstrating the technique on residential door locks. Does the same hold true for RV door locks? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
Moving Along is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 11:36 AM   #2

Locks are for honest people. Theives will always get you. No need to pick a lock, break the window, break the fiberglass door, prybar the latch and etc. Have insurance and enjoy life as best as you can.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 12:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar_earl View Post
locks are for honest people. Theives will always get you. No need to pick a lock, break the window, break the fiberglass door, prybar the latch and etc. Have insurance and enjoy life as best as you can.

Earl
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^this
dannyabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 12:29 PM   #4

If they want in, they will get in.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 12:42 PM   #5

I heard about key bumping about 10 years ago and I've even heard a few lock manufacturers making bump proof locks. I asked my wife's cousin (police detective) if he had heard of this and he had but they didn't know of any break-ins from lock bumping...at least in the area he covers.

If someone was small enough, you could use the CH751 key that is common on tons of RV cargo doors and access the trailer. On old 26BH, opening the rear cargo door then pushing up on the lower bunk gave you access to the inside of the TT.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 01:19 PM   #6

The deadbolt on the RV door is the only unique key. There are masters for the handle lock on the door. I just had our 2017 Jayco at the dealer for warranty work, didn't have to leave the key as long as I didn't lock the deadbolt, they had a master to enter the handle lock. As others have said, locks are for honest people or lazy thieves. My house has been broken into twice in the last 10 years, both times the steel entry door that was deadbolted was kicked in. Never broke the door jamb, just broke the door. Both were brand name steel entry doors
oh355mbqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 03:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh355mbqs View Post
The deadbolt on the RV door is the only unique key. There are masters for the handle lock on the door. I just had our 2017 Jayco at the dealer for warranty work, didn't have to leave the key as long as I didn't lock the deadbolt, they had a master to enter the handle lock. As others have said, locks are for honest people or lazy thieves. My house has been broken into twice in the last 10 years, both times the steel entry door that was deadbolted was kicked in. Never broke the door jamb, just broke the door. Both were brand name steel entry doors

My dealer has a Jayco master for both locks. Told me not to leave a key. Both locks locked.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 09:16 AM   #8

Bumping is a real thing, but not as easy as implied. It requires a unique bump key for each lock manufacturer or lock brand. It requires a bit of skill just like other lock pick methods do. You are not going to stick your ear to the combo lock on the chain securing your bike to the TT frame and open by hearing the tumblers. There are a dozen or more other ways for someone to break into an RV that require nothing more than a large screwdriver or pry bar.

Worrying about "lock bumping" is a waste of time. Ask yourself what is so valuable inside your RV that would make it a target? If a random thief picks your RV by accident, what are they going to steal? Just don't do anything that would direct attention to your unit and pay your insurance premium on time.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 09:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Worrying about "lock bumping" is a waste of time.
X2
Old 01-23-2019, 01:11 PM   #10

Thanks to all for your responses thus far. There appears to be no real world experiences with bumping or attempted bumping of RV door locks. None that I have found anyway. I have read that most break-ins are by brute force. Since RV doors swing out, and are directly over steps, it seems that kicking in the door less likely. Prying out seems most likely but that leaves tell-tale signs of break in. Bumping leaves no trace of break in, thus allowing all to look normal to passers-by and allowing the more sophisticated burglar less exposure and more time inside. Because the door locks on a Jayco have opposing rows of pins I can only surmise that bumping is doable but slightly more difficult. Therefore I plan to increase my security with a bump resistant deadbolt. Again thanks for your responses.
Old 01-23-2019, 01:26 PM   #11

Our previous 5vr was broken into 3 times. Door window broken out, driver's side rear dual pane window broken out & finally the crow bar. The only way we knew the second one happened, they left the door assist handle & steps out - yes, we found the break-in along with about 30 other units that day. Very sad.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 01:54 PM   #12

Key bumping is harder than it sounds, and I don't think it applies to RV locks. The locks that are "bumped" are locks like the one on your house the use pins to lock the plug. BTW the cylinder is the round thing about an inch an a quarter in diameter, the the plug, the round thing you put the key in, and the pins are what line up to let the plug turn to open the lock. Some of these things are called different names. From what I have seen RV locks are "wafer" locks (also called a cam lock) where other stuff has to line up to open the lock and they use double sided keys like your car that are REALLY hard to pick. Frankly I think you have a great deal more to worry about with a bad guy with a crow bar or big screwdriver that someone with a bump key. Here's a pretty good web site to check out. https://unitedlocksmith.net/blog/why...t-work-on-cars

Frankly really smart thives won't bother with an RV they'll go for a higher value target because the penalty is probably pretty much the same.

Now having said that any RV thief worth his bump key is going to have either a master key, a slide hammer or some other method that is a sure-fire way of getting in. Bumping makes some noise and takes a little while.

BTW this is from a guy who has picked more locks than he can remember. No I'm not a thief, I'm a landlord.
Johnny Lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 02:25 PM   #13

Here's a question, are you trying to increase security for storage in a rented facility, or just in general like when you are camping?

If it's in a storage facility, they don't care if they do damage. Very likely it will be days before anyone sees the damage. If you put in a bump proof lock, they will just break a window if they want to get it.

If this for extra protection camping, I'd recommend camping in better places. I'm not being snarky, I'm serious. If you are going places that have issues, I can find hundreds more that are safe and have no issues.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 04:22 PM   #14

You can pick the deadbolt and handle lock on a newer camper in about 3-5 min (I’ve done it twice to help out neighbors at our seasonal site). They are cheap simple locks and no one is going to sit there and bump one (too noisy, picking is silent). I’m leaning more toward an obvious external wireless camera pointed right at the front door. Even if it’s not functional, they don’t know that.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 10:28 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
Here's a question, are you trying to increase security for storage in a rented facility, or just in general like when you are camping?

If it's in a storage facility, they don't care if they do damage. Very likely it will be days before anyone sees the damage. If you put in a bump proof lock, they will just break a window if they want to get it.

If this for extra protection camping, I'd recommend camping in better places. I'm not being snarky, I'm serious. If you are going places that have issues, I can find hundreds more that are safe and have no issues.
Doc - It is so true about the forced entry. It is much more likely to occur to an RV, but
a bump attack can occur as well. As one tool meets both threats I've decided to beef up the RV door with a bump proof deadbolt keyed on both sides. It makes prying open just that much more difficult and prevents anyone who breaks the door window from just reaching in and opening the deadbolt. If the deadbolt holds, whatever they get would have to come out thru the windows. So as to not impede our ability to exit the 5th wheel, I would never lock us in using that deadbolt. If the attack occurred while we're inside, other measures would be employed.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:48 PM   #16

You can buy anything on the internet nowadays whether you are supposed to be able to or not. My 27DSRL has different keys for the main and bedroom entry doors which seems ludicrous to me so I purchased the green “master keys” online. No one ever asked if I was a dealer or locksmith even though the disclaimer on their site said I needed verification of one or the other to do so. Keys work great in our rig, our neighbors Grand Design, and others. Our whole little community at the seasonal campground now uses master keys. First one to arrive for the weekend is responsible for “awnings out” and “a/c on” for about 5 sites now!

May the Mods grant me the serenity to accept the opinions of those I cannot change,
the courage to offer valid input to those who are open to another way of thinking,
and the wisdom to shut myself down whenever I get too in love with my own misconceived brilliance.
SparkDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 02:23 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving Along View Post
Doc - It is so true about the forced entry. It is much more likely to occur to an RV, but
a bump attack can occur as well. As one tool meets both threats I've decided to beef up the RV door with a bump proof deadbolt keyed on both sides. It makes prying open just that much more difficult and prevents anyone who breaks the door window from just reaching in and opening the deadbolt. If the deadbolt holds, whatever they get would have to come out thru the windows. So as to not impede our ability to exit the 5th wheel, I would never lock us in using that deadbolt. If the attack occurred while we're inside, other measures would be employed.
no they will just kick the door open with a foot or a pry bar.. if a steel door can be breached in a house I am positive a RV door can be breached even easier... bump lock or not...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 07:27 AM   #18

One quick look at the locks on our new Pinnacle and it’s clear that if I loose the keys that I’ll be in with a screwdriver in a few minutes...

-Angus
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 09:56 AM   #19

Last summer i was in a 2011 38' Stealth. One late Saturday afternoon I managed to break my key off while opening the door. The door was stuck locked with both door and deadbolt.. I called a few locksmiths and quickly learned that 90% of the locksmiths are now mobile and they seem to be very busy. After contacting about 10 Locksmiths i finally got one to set up an appointment for latter that day. Come appt. time, i got call from him saying he would not be able to make it.. After pleading with him, he told me there is no way he can make it then asked me questions on my coach and lock type.. After i gave him that info, he provided instructions how to hack both locks on the door. It took me a mere 30 seconds or less and i was in my coach. The how instructions i will not share and did not require a screw driver. Part of the instructions required purchasing a new lock mechanism because the key cylinders are sealed and can't be re-keyed easily. I found the lock mechnism available at most local RV Supply houses in Sacramento for $45 bucks. Took me about 15 mins to get that installed and i was back in business. I now have a 2018 Jayco Eagle which uses the same lock mechanism and i have purchased a stand bye lock mechanism I cary in my truck.. Knock on wood i never have to use it.
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 02:20 PM   #20

Keys to locks and stuff

I was concerned when we purchased our 2014 287BHBE and I found out all the storage area locks for Jayco happened to use the same key. Coming from an Airstream I was dumbfounded. (sure wish I still had that Airstream, sigh).

To somewhat calm the issue in my brain, I purchased a set of those circular key locks, all coded the same, and installed them on all the cargo entry points. Now I don't have to worry about the storage guys and visitors at least that happen to have a Jayco key. Peace of mind is worth something.

And, since our TT has a front bed, when the hinge collapsed one night at 2:30 in the AM dumping wife and self into the front cargo storage area; when I fixed it (dealer will NEVER EVER get his worthless paws on my trailer again!) I got the bright idea of installing a bulkhead between the storage area and the space under the bed. So now, anyone breaking in via storage area is faced with a bulkhead keeping him out of the trailer. And if he thinks he go in via the rear cargo area and push up the cover under the bunk, hahahahaah, let him try! If he can fight his way through all that crap that is stuffed in there, then he deserves access I guess. Again, peace of mind.

But of course, anyone with crowbars / axes / etc could still get in. So far no problems in that area. But I sure miss my Airstream.......

cheers
cactus
cjack99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bumping, deadbolt, door lock, key