Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-17-2014, 12:20 PM   #11
Lost in the Woods

It doesn't look like you have any less headroom than I have in my 2003. Maybe we are used to having a clear overhead in our stick homes? I whack my head occasionally, but not enough to do major surgery on the rig

3330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 02:12 PM   #12

Looks like the real issue is the sink was set to far back against the wall.
Counter should be replace with the sink moved as far forward as the cabinet will allow.

Or you could get arm extenders...

Tom
2014 Jay Flight Swift 294 BHS
2012 Silverado 2500HD 6.0L
Redhorse 823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 02:34 PM   #13
Site Team

That does look close with that low cabinet there. I guess many trailers have something that does not work well. With ours it was the TV location. Over the dinette in a cabinet, you have to crane your neck to look at it from the couch. No good. I move it down onto the dinette for viewing, much closer to eye level.
Crabman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 02:57 PM   #14

I'd probably hit my head too. You don't see many houses built with a full size cabinet over the sink...
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 11:46 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraqvet05 View Post
I'd probably hit my head too. You don't see many houses built with a full size cabinet over the sink...
Correct. If the cabinet over the sink needs to be this tall, it should be more shallow. Of if it needs to be this deep, it should be not as tall. If this were done in a residential setting the designer/salesperson would be replacing the cabinet with the correct size. 35 years in the cabinet and construction business and I've seen that as the only solution.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:12 PM   #16

We love our 31.5 RLTS. I have same complaint with the cabinet issue. My solution is I don't wash dishes. My loving wife takes care of it. It's uncomfortable for me to stand there and wash. Other than that we love the floor plan.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:39 PM   #17

I understand the problem your having but a lot of the problem your having is a result of the cabinets being too tall or too deep here over the sink, but to be honest, my wife and myself do not have this problem because we are both under 5'8'' so the solution to this is maybe just have a shorter person due the dishes!!!
Rhumphers9a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:28 PM   #18

We have the same unit as you. I know exactly what you speak of.. My perception is that because there is no recess for your feet to slip under the kitchen sink counter, it makes you bend over and your head is more likely to hit the overhead cabinets. I've always teased the DW that this was a perfect example of why women were made with small feet so that they were more comfortable in front of the sink. It would not be a big deal to cut the cabinets under the double doors and leave an area of a couple inches high that would allow your feet to slip under those doors. I've actually pondered that project.. The problem for us is that we've already used up that area with boxed can good that fit very neatly right in that area!! I think the real difference is that it's just a minor annoyance to us. Where it seems to be a lot bigger problem in your mind. I personally don't want any different cabinets in our unit. I'm 5' 10". The DW is 5'6". Your height may be more of an issue.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 05:44 AM   #19

I see it as a design flaw. They should have never put full size cabinets over the sink.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:11 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locky66 View Post
I see it as a design flaw. They should have never put full size cabinets over the sink.
If they didn't put full cabinets in that area, there would not be enough convenient storage in the kitchen. You call it a design flaw.. OK. I would much rather have the storage needs then the inconvenience of having my head close to the cabinets while I wash dishes. Again in our opinion it's only a minor problem.
I can clearly see why Jayco would balk on doing anything. If you buy a car that you bang your head in when you get in or out. Is it the fault of the manufacturer???? Who bought the car??? I certainly can sympathize with the buyers plight but truthfully, most of us that have this unit don't find this to be a big deal. If I had to buy another unit today, it would be the exact same thing except that I would put in thermapane windows.

Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote