Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-17-2014, 07:46 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by boclark View Post
Perhaps I am missing something here. When you looked at the model, were the sink and cabinets in place? The unit you purchased, were the sink/cabinets different from the model you looked at? If you got what you looked at and subsequently purchased then I am unsure what this has to do with Jayco. We all make decisions that we later regret but is it not an error that you made and not really a Jayco issue? If the design is flawed, the customers send the message to the manufacturer by not purchasing it in the first place. I am not trying to be difficult but sometimes it is not a manufacturer problem!
It is a design flaw (at least for some) but you would not notice it until you stood at the kitchen sink and washed dishes (or added water to your glass of Scotch). Therein lies the problem. It's one of those "gray areas". I see your point but also understand the OPs side as well.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:23 AM   #32

This issue has just about been beat to death!!! As I've said before, part of the problem is that you don't have any room for you feet under the counter. I'm 5'10" and weight 270. I wash dishes in that unit with some regularity. Yes, you are bent over a little while working at the sink.. I rest my head on the over head cabinets as I work at the sink. Takes all the strain off of your back. Problem goes away. I guess you could call it a design flaw. I really don't want Jayco to change anything because of the storage area that you would lose. To move that sink out would alter the under counter storage capacity.

Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:15 PM   #33

As a kitchen designer for 20 years, I can speak with some authority about the cabinet placement. "Bumping" cabinets (pulling them forward or staggering their height) is a popular technique to add a dramatic effect to an otherwise straight and boring line of cabinets. The sink base cabinet has been pulled forward (approx. 3") to accommodate the increased depth and lower clearance of the cabinet above. The problem is with the sink location. It appears you have a solid surface countertop (like Corian). The countertop fabricator should have mounted the sink closer to the front of the cabinet to achieve the proper clearance. I would demand that Jayco show you the actual "build" blueprint for the countertop. If it shows the sink moved forward in the countertop (as it should), then it is not a design problem. It is a fabrication problem with the countertop fabricator. As such, it is IMHO still Jayco's responsibility to correct. The countertop can easily be removed and replaced with a correctly made top. As an alternative, the sink section can be cut out, moved forward, and reinstalled. One of the nice things about solid surface countertops, is that the seams would be completely invisible.
Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:01 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
"Bumping" cabinets (pulling them forward or staggering their height) is a popular technique to add a dramatic effect to an otherwise straight and boring line of cabinets. The sink base cabinet has been pulled forward (approx. 3") to accommodate the increased depth and lower clearance of the cabinet above. The problem is with the sink location.
I gotta disagree with you Brownie. Yes, the sink base cabinet has been bumped out 3" however, the wall cabinet above has also been bumped out (looks like 3"). Therefore the situation is as if there were no "bumping" at all. So that brings me to a (normal) kitchen design where the sink base has a cabinet overhead. Would it not be something like 18" or 24" tall, provided it was the standard 12" depth? To my way of thinking, since the wall cabinet is "full height" (30" + tall + protruding light molding), it should actually be shallower in depth not deeper. Flawed thinking or right thinking?

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:18 AM   #35

True enough, Skip. But most of us have full height cabinets in our rigs, and they don't get in our way. Simplest solution is to have the sink moved forward in the countertop. Problem solved.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:03 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdorant View Post
I would say is was their intent to put the sink closer to the front edge, but at build it can't be that forward do to the cabinets beneath. The counter curves out but the cabinets below do not which is why the sink is set back. .
On the contrary: the bottom sink cabinet is pulled out. I have to agree with Redhorse's earlier post (and what I said earlier): it is a production problem with the solid surface countertop fabricator. Jayco should stand behind it.

If you have the opportunity, you may want to get a quote from a Corian fabricator on having the sink section of countertop removed, refabricated, and reinstalled. Then present that along with your photos and Redhorse's floor plan to Jayco. (Indecently, if done by a competent fabricator, the seams will be virtually invisible.)

Best of luck with whatever you decide.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:16 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by boclark View Post
Perhaps I am missing something here. When you looked at the model, were the sink and cabinets in place? The unit you purchased, were the sink/cabinets different from the model you looked at? If you got what you looked at and subsequently purchased then I am unsure what this has to do with Jayco. We all make decisions that we later regret but is it not an error that you made and not really a Jayco issue? If the design is flawed, the customers send the message to the manufacturer by not purchasing it in the first place. I am not trying to be difficult but sometimes it is not a manufacturer problem!
Amen!!!!

Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote