Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-21-2017, 07:31 PM   #1

Kitchen sink not draining Jayco FIFTH wheel

Kitchen sink of my new 29.5 HT fifth wheel is not flushing. It almost looks like airlocked. The tank is empty and no solids we t down the drain. Please help if anyone has seen anything like this. I removed the trap and checked and it was very clean. Air somehow is not venting. The vents on the roof are clear. Is there any switch to be tirned on? Any suggestiins would help. Bathroom sink is draining without a problem. Is there a vent on the grey tank?
Bobmadras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 07:55 PM   #2

I would fill the sink with some water and take a toilet plunger to it, hopefully that may clear out whats backing it up
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 10:11 PM   #3

Thanks! I already did that and also checked the plumbing, removed the trap. This seems to be a air venting issue. Air bubbles come up as I force the water in to the tank. Is is okay to use a snake ir will it damage sensors?
Old 10-21-2017, 11:20 PM   #4

Sounds like a vacuum breaker is stuck closed. It will be on top of a stub pipe at about sink level. You should be able to just unscrew it, free it up, and replace it. Look care fully at the top of the vertical pipe going down to your tank.

Old 10-22-2017, 05:59 AM   #5

Thank you very much! This sounds very logical . I shall try this one, but may need to find out where this is. Is this to be accessed from inside the RV or on top of the roof? Does anybody have the plumbing diagram for HT 29.5?
Old 10-22-2017, 06:28 AM   #6

The vacuum breaker on my trailer are under the sink relatively close to the sink drain trap. I would start by looking there.
Old 10-22-2017, 04:07 PM   #7

Thank you very much! I shall look under the sink. Do you know where I can get a replacement and the standard dimensions of the vacuum breaker?
Old 10-22-2017, 05:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobmadras View Post
Thank you very much! I shall look under the sink. Do you know where I can get a replacement and the standard dimensions of the vacuum breaker?

You can get it from any major home improvement store, maybe even from a good hardware store..

I would unscrew it, and test it, before buy one.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 09:54 PM   #9

just pop that cap off and push down on the plunger to free up the valve and re-install it. It is unlikely you will actually need to buy a new one.
Old 10-24-2017, 04:59 PM   #10

I will tell on my self. My jayco has two drains for the gray water. I only opened one and the kitchen would not drain. Found the other drain handle outside of the area where the other 3 handles were located.
Tim&paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 08:44 PM   #11

I have one drain for each gray tank, and ine for the black tank. What model do you have. Is there a place where I can find the plumbing diagram for my Fifth wheel?
Old 10-24-2017, 08:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobmadras View Post
I have one drain for each gray tank, and ine for the black tank. What model do you have. Is there a place where I can find the plumbing diagram for my Fifth wheel?
You can email Jayco include your VIN and request the plumbing diagrams, they will usually email a PDF.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 02:32 PM   #13

I have 2 black tanks and 2 grey. There were only 3 valves in the compartment where the outside water compartment. I didn’t realize th other one was under the RV about 4 feet from the Cabinet. I have a Pinnacle 36fbts.
Tim&paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 04:29 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim&paula View Post
I will tell on my self. My jayco has two drains for the gray water. I only opened one and the kitchen would not drain. Found the other drain handle outside of the area where the other 3 handles were located.
I found the other drain which was hidden. The grey water tank for the outside kitchen was not my second grey tank, but just an extra one. I found the actual grey tank drain a ltlle hidden, but as soon as I pulled that, everything went to normal. Thanks!
Old 01-14-2018, 11:11 AM   #15

Even though the problem is solved I thought I'd add this: The easiest way to check the Air Admittance Valve is to clean it really well and try to blow through it (to make sure the air does not pass through it) and then take an short breath through it (to see if it will allow air to enter the drain line). If it's not functioning as I described then trash it and get a new one. Myself I use the Studor brand as that's one of the ones approved by our plumbing code and I've always had spares on my truck. When water is going down the drain it can create a vacuum behind the flow where there is a hydraulic jump and these valves eliminate the vacuum created by the jump. Glad you found the other valve! Happy Camping.
PipeFighter is offline   Reply With Quote