Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-19-2019, 09:54 AM   #1

Exclamation Kitchen Slide Problem

Yesterday we arrived at the second stop on our journey. I extended the kitchen slide and noticed that on the refrigerator end, it stopped about 1 to 1 1/2 inches from fully opening. The other end is fully open. Is there a way to synchronize a slim rack system? Any suggestions. I had it to the dealer the day before yesterday because the gasket that's on the wall inside on each side of the slide was pulling out of the track. They fixed that problem, now this one is popping up.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 10:18 AM   #2

Trying to find some info regarding this just as you likely have already. If you have brought the slide all the way back in, how is the spacing at each end?

Came across this. Hope it helps.

2020 North Point 315RLTS
Ram 3500/Aisin CC, SB, SRW, Superglide
Firestone Ride-Rite Air bags, TST507 TPMS
DrSmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 12:42 PM   #3

Al
There is an app called "My LCI" that you can download to a smartphone or tablet. It has manuals and videos for all things Lippert, including Slides. The videos are kind of cheezy silent movies with subtitles but are informative. The app is slow and requires a fast connection to work at all.

Normally to re-sync the slides, you extend all the way, then retract an inch or two, then extend and repeat until the motors shut down at the same time while holding down the switch. Then you retract fully and if you hear that both motors stop at the same time, you are done.

I think however if you are physically out of synch by an inch or two, you might want to call lippert. I find that they are easy to get a hold of within a few minutes. Calling Jayco can easily be over a half hour on hold.

Let us know how it goes. We have to go to a dealer next week for that awning wiring re-call and will be holding our breath on slide issues.

=Angus
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 03:14 PM   #4

Check out the LCI troubleshooting tips. If trying the re-sync doesn’t work, you can put the slide controller in manual and one of the options is to jog each motor individually so you can move just one side. Take care when doing this or you can easily bind up the slide and cause further issues but it does work. Once you have both sides even, extend all the way out then re-do the sync procedure.

Hope this helps.
icr21801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 05:40 PM   #5

Well I tried to re-sync the motors and after 3 or 4 tries the motor on the fridge side stopped working all together! Looks like a call to Lippert is in order
Formerly from Sequim, WA
Old 06-20-2019, 11:44 AM   #6

Update............called Lippert and went over my scenario with them. They took down lots of information and issued a case number. They suggested I contact a mobile repair service and have them contact Lippert with the case number. Lippert was extremely helpful and showed their eagerness to get my problem resolved. I have a call into two highly rated mobile repair services. Will post a follow up.
Formerly from Sequim, WA
Old 06-20-2019, 07:02 PM   #7

Sorry to hear this Al. We had to call a mobile tech on our 2nd or 3rd trip when our water heater wouldn't start. Just curious, why did you decide to call Lippert instead of Jayco?

Dave

2018 Ford F350 6.7 SRW
2018 Jayco North Point 315RLTS
dkegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 09:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkegel View Post
Sorry to hear this Al. We had to call a mobile tech on our 2nd or 3rd trip when our water heater wouldn't start. Just curious, why did you decide to call Lippert instead of Jayco?

Dave
Dave, based on Angus's experience, I decided to call Lippert. Jayco, if recall, suggest that you contact the producer of the component that is the problem. I will see how Lippert handles the problem. So far I'm very satisfied with their performance. So far one of the two mobile repair services said they have had no experience with the SlimRack system..............waiting to hear from the second one I contacted. We need to vacate our space on 6/30, so will be leaning big time on any one that can resolve our problem.
Formerly from Sequim, WA
Old 06-21-2019, 06:51 PM   #9

Lightbulb

Update: The first mobile repair service I called yesterday in the AM has yet to return my call. The second one I called at the same time returned my call within a few hours and was very candid and said they were not familiar with the slim rack system......I appreciated that. This morning I called a third mobile service and they returned my call within a few hours and were able to schedule an appointment for this coming Monday. In the meantime I decided to disconnect my battery and then reconnected it. Then tried pulling in the slide. Retracted without any problems and extended fully with motors apparently in sync. Extended and it fully extended. Between now and my scheduled appointment, I will retract and extend it daily to see if it is okay. My hope is that disconnecting the 12v power may have reset it?!?! Hopefully that was the case. Finger are crossed
Formerly from Sequim, WA
Old 06-21-2019, 07:57 PM   #10

Thanks for the update Al. The rest of us with the slim rack system can put that method in the book of possible solutions and will hopefully remember the move when or if it happens to us. I think the pull assist was part of the solution as well and then the in and out action helped to resync the motors.
I hold my breath every time I move the kitchen slide. It seems to move with more energy on ac as apposed to dc power even if the batteries are fully charged.
4" Magnaflow, Banks Air Intake
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs
DMRGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 09:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMRGMC View Post
Thanks for the update Al. The rest of us with the slim rack system can put that method in the book of possible solutions and will hopefully remember the move when or if it happens to us. I think the pull assist was part of the solution as well and then the in and out action helped to resync the motors.
I hold my breath every time I move the kitchen slide. It seems to move with more energy on ac as apposed to dc power even if the batteries are fully charged.
I never move my slides unless I'm hooked up to AC. I know the feeling when you try to extend or retract a slide, particularly the kitchen slide......a real prayer moment. I think Jayco is in bed with Lippert when it comes down to the slide mechanism of choice. I've said it before but a lot of the more higher end manufacturers of RV's use the good old faithful rack and pinion system on all their heavy slides.
Formerly from Sequim, WA
Old 06-22-2019, 08:36 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRUEBBE View Post
I never move my slides unless I'm hooked up to AC. I know the feeling when you try to extend or retract a slide, particularly the kitchen slide......a real prayer moment. I think Jayco is in bed with Lippert when it comes down to the slide mechanism of choice. I've said it before but a lot of the more higher end manufacturers of RV's use the good old faithful rack and pinion system on all their heavy slides.

I was always told they use the Schwintek system because of how heavy certain slides are. So you are saying that on higher end rigs they use the normal system on all slides?
Jayco 19XUD 2016 (traded-in)
Tundra 2014 (traded-in)
Dargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 10:36 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dargo View Post
I was always told they use the Schwintek system because of how heavy certain slides are. So you are saying that on higher end rigs they use the normal system on all slides?
Yes, they use the rack and pinion on the heavy slides. A few weeks ago when we were at our last CG, I spoke with a gentleman that had an older Pinnacle. It had a large kitchen slide and it used the simple rack & pinion system. From day one he has never had a problem with it.
Formerly from Sequim, WA
Old 06-22-2019, 11:18 AM   #14

We're waiting for a new North Point. I believe the same model on the lot had 3 different slide mechanisms. Schwintech on the bedroom, electric through the frame (with rack and pinion) on the dinette/recliners and Slim rack on the kitchen. I have read that the Schwintech is for lighter slides. We had hydraulic on our last fiver and after 9 nine years of travelling there were no problems. I'm trying to learn what I can about all these different mechanisms and hope to have a backup plan for each.

2020 North Point 315RLTS
Ram 3500/Aisin CC, SB, SRW, Superglide
Firestone Ride-Rite Air bags, TST507 TPMS
DrSmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 10:24 AM   #15

U guys with the slim rack quit complaining. Us schwintec kitchen slide owners have to pray to the schwintec god every-time.
Rock
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 04:08 PM   #16

Update: P&M Mobile RV Repair out of Spokane, WA, who is super great & very savvy, was out this afternoon to look at the kitchen slide. First thing he wanted to do is take a look at the controller which was mounted to the basement ceiling BEHIND the docking station making it virtually next to impossible to easily access. He was able to get to it after removing the panel next to the docking station. He removed it and after untangling and removing the knots out of the wiring, was able to mount it where it could be easily accessed. BTW, the new controller they are now using doesn't have a manual override button. He then looked at the motor connections on each side of the slide and found they were just dangling to where thy could easily get pinched by the slide when it is extended. He secured them so there would be no chance of getting in the way of the slide when fully retracted. Not a Lippert error but a sloppy installation by Jayco. He then ran direct voltage to each motor. The one next to the fridge, the one that was working intermittently do not respond. He then went inside to the connector for that motor and pulled the connector apart. He found one of the pins was not fully inserted into the male part of the connector. Snapped it into place and bingo!! Back in business. Attached are two pictures of the controller, one where the brilliant Jayco mounted it and one after he moved to where it wouldn't take a three year old to access. He said after 25 years in business, the last 5 five he's seen a huge decline in quality!
Attached Thumbnails
Kitchen Slide Controller.jpg   Controller 2.jpg  
Formerly from Sequim, WA
Old 06-24-2019, 05:51 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
U guys with the slim rack quit complaining. Us schwintec kitchen slide owners have to pray to the schwintec god every-time.
Rock
Slimrack is Schwintec.
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
Old 06-24-2019, 05:56 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRUEBBE View Post
Update: P&M Mobile RV Repair out of Spokane, WA, who is super great & very savvy, was out this afternoon to look at the kitchen slide. First thing he wanted to do is take a look at the controller which was mounted to the basement ceiling BEHIND the docking station making it virtually next to impossible to easily access. He was able to get to it after removing the panel next to the docking station. He removed it and after untangling and removing the knots out of the wiring, was able to mount it where it could be easily accessed. BTW, the new controller they are now using doesn't have a manual override button. He then looked at the motor connections on each side of the slide and found they were just dangling to where thy could easily get pinched by the slide when it is extended. He secured them so there would be no chance of getting in the way of the slide when fully retracted. Not a Lippert error but a sloppy installation by Jayco. He then ran direct voltage to each motor. The one next to the fridge, the one that was working intermittently do not respond. He then went inside to the connector for that motor and pulled the connector apart. He found one of the pins was not fully inserted into the male part of the connector. Snapped it into place and bingo!! Back in business. Attached are two pictures of the controller, one where the brilliant Jayco mounted it and one after he moved to where it wouldn't take a three year old to access. He said after 25 years in business, the last 5 five he's seen a huge decline in quality.............no s__t!!

Thanks for the update. Good to hear you are good to go. See how much works a few bad connections cause.
Jayco 19XUD 2016 (traded-in)
Tundra 2014 (traded-in)
Dargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 05:58 PM   #19

Al that’s great news.

When I found my controller I dismounted it from the basement ceiling and left it on that top shelf with mesh netting on the port side front of the basement. There is enough slack on the wire harness to leave it there safely. There is also a wooden pencil there to punch that button. It appears that I will have to reach for it often.

Angus
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
Old 06-24-2019, 06:48 PM   #20

Thanks again for the update Al and glad you had a good ending. More possible solution tips for the book.
4" Magnaflow, Banks Air Intake
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs
DMRGMC is offline   Reply With Quote