Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-28-2020, 02:48 PM   #1

Landing gear lub

Well after reading some and watching couple YouTube videos I went out thinking to lube my landing gears. Seemed like a very good idea, knowing could be difficult as many have discovered.
What I found was that I do have zerk fittings, two on each leg. But these face forwards without room for any type grease gun. Removed one zerk and found it's M8 (barely got wrench into opening). And found it was painted over so couldn't if wanted to get grease thru it (tried that).
So ordered (5) 90 degree zerk fitting. Thought about 90 degree grease gun fitting but after seeing existing zerk was painted over and attempt to get grease thru it failed decided replacement best option.
Also of note cannot get to top of legs to remove the leg top without disassembling legs. I'd rather not attempt right niw
LarryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 07:58 AM   #2

Let me add to confusion. I also watched some YouTube videos on lubing the landing gear (ours is a 24.5CKTS). Checked my owners manual and could find nothing addressing lubricating landing gear. Contacted Jayco and their response was that this component did not require lubricating. Also contacted Lippert (LCI), the component manufacturer and was advised that it did not require lubricating and if I undertook such work it would negate any manufacturer's warranty. LCI also stated that any lubricating that was needed was done at factory assembly.

Given that videos show what looks like a crown gear (at the top of the leg) and a worm gear (inside the leg) and that both of these appear to be metal to metal contact, it follows that lubrication would contribute to avoiding premature failure. Our rig will be out of warranty in a couple of months. I'm still considering doing the work - after warranty expires.
OTTERCOMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 03:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTTERCOMET View Post
Let me add to confusion. I also watched some YouTube videos on lubing the landing gear (ours is a 24.5CKTS). Checked my owners manual and could find nothing addressing lubricating landing gear. Contacted Jayco and their response was that this component did not require lubricating. Also contacted Lippert (LCI), the component manufacturer and was advised that it did not require lubricating and if I undertook such work it would negate any manufacturer's warranty. LCI also stated that any lubricating that was needed was done at factory assembly.

Given that videos show what looks like a crown gear (at the top of the leg) and a worm gear (inside the leg) and that both of these appear to be metal to metal contact, it follows that lubrication would contribute to avoiding premature failure. Our rig will be out of warranty in a couple of months. I'm still considering doing the work - after warranty expires.
After seeing some posts here and videos I have been thinking about this too. The service manual I found just said to spray silicon lubricant on the exposed legs.
Scottenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 03:04 PM   #4

Took a look at mine and sure enough there are grease zerks. If these components don't require grease then why did they install grease zerks? Doesn't make sense to me.
Phil2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 02:12 PM   #5

We recently got a set of the Andersen Jack Blocks...
https://andersenhitches.com/Products...ack-block.aspx

... and our landing gear/ leveling jacks never move more than about 2". Our primary reason was fear of jack failures after reading many horror stories, but an unexpected benefit was how fast and easy departure and arrival is. No more counting leggo blocks and auto level is so much faster, plus we should never see an "out of stroke" error again.
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote