Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-31-2017, 03:14 PM   #1
tld

Landing Gear Maintenance Information from Lippert

Just want to share some info that might be helpful. I recently became concerned about landing gear maintenance when the landing gear of the fifth wheel parked next to me failed. Seeing my neighbor's struggle to get it repaired made me think about preventive maintenance. This was also the second time in two years that I saw this happen to a fellow fifth wheel owner. So I did a YouTube search on the issue and found some advise. But the advise on YouTube for lubing the threaded rod that runs down the center of the leg was to build a 30 inch grease tube out of one inch tubing and construct a grease zerk on the end of the tubing, remove the foot pads and then run the tube up the threaded rod and fill it with grease and then pull it off. There were some videos of this process, but all-in-all it was a pain-in-the-butt operation that did not go smoothly (but appeared to work in the end). So, since my manual contained nothing about landing gear maintenance, I emailed Lippert customer service and asked what I should be doing. The directions I got back were much simpler than what I saw on YouTube. This is what Lippert advised:

"You should lubricate your landing gear legs once a year or sooner depending on the climate. You can use any high temp wheel bearing grease for the spider gears located at the top of the leg. To lubricate the threaded rod going down the center of the leg, just pour motor oil over the spider gears and and let it run down past the spider gears onto the threaded rod. The excess oil will collect on the foot pad. Just wipe up the excess oil and your done"
tld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 04:27 PM   #2

Thank you for the information TLD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
drdontx is offline   Reply With Quote