Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-30-2023, 08:40 AM   #1

Landing leg disassembly

For anyone who has had misfortune of dealing with a landing leg failure, maybe this will be of help. My 2020 lead leg failed this past week. Leg would not support weight. Pulled leg to find jack screw assembly was culprit. I have done routine greasing using the two zerks on upper side of leg and routine spray dry lube on moving leg. Decided to cut apart while I wait for new leg to arrive. Jack screw threads look OK , but did have some wear. The threaded plate on moving leg, the threads toast. I have seen guy on web who made grease tube using 1 inch vinyl. The diameter of jack screw is 5/8. Can use 3/4 tube and save alot of wasted grease and still grease jack screw. It seems lower zerk is supposed to fill cavity at top of moving leg. Mine had plenty of grease in it, but still stripped threads. Top zerk supposed to fill that gear cavity. I recommend everyone just take off cap and hand pack till full as that cavity large and definite not get enough grease via zerk unless you use entire tube. Hope this helps anyone who dealt with similar issue and maybe prevent a failure. I included photo of parts
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5119.jpg   IMG_5118.jpg   IMG_5117.jpg  
DBuley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 09:45 PM   #2

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...sue-66739.html

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...cks-88010.html
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 03:40 PM   #3

My 2020 30.5 CKTS experienced the same failure. The frustrating part is that I had done the extensive grease a couple of years ago! When I pulled the failed lead landing gear out and disassembled it, I found plenty of grease everywhere, but, like you, I found the threads in the steel collar stripped almost completely. I also pulled the follow landing gear, and found plenty of grease, but also found signs of early wear on the collar threads. I replaced both landing legs and have little hope for longevity with the replacement legs despite plenty of grease!
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS Modern Farmhouse (16" wheels, spring shackles set on lower hole of frame, SumoSprings TSS-107-40, standard kingpin, B&W Companion slider, TST-507 TPMS, Progressive Industries hardwired 50A EMS HW-50C)
2019 F250 SRW SuperCab 4X4 SB 6.2 (10,000# GVW) 3.73 Axle 18" wheels
Nature Ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 04:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature Ist View Post
My 2020 30.5 CKTS experienced the same failure. The frustrating part is that I had done the extensive grease a couple of years ago! When I pulled the failed lead landing gear out and disassembled it, I found plenty of grease everywhere, but, like you, I found the threads in the steel collar stripped almost completely. I also pulled the follow landing gear, and found plenty of grease, but also found signs of early wear on the collar threads. I replaced both landing legs and have little hope for longevity with the replacement legs despite plenty of grease!
Problem is, there is plenty of grease but it is all scraped off the threads into a giant ball against the stripped nut.
Then there is no more grease on the threads.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 04:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
Problem is, there is plenty of grease but it is all scraped off the threads into a giant ball against the stripped nut.
Then there is no more grease on the threads.
To a point that is true. But if the screw threads are wet with grease, as mine were after the failure, the lubrication should have been adequate. I believe it really comes down to poor quality metals and too little thread length on the collar. There is also reason to question the thread ratio, which is not very high. I didn't count the number of threads per inch, but it wasn't many.
Granted, the landing gear is actually lifting more than the pin weight, but these legs just aren't performing to their stated rating.
I also looked at the actual weight on my unit compared to the rating per leg stated by Lippert: I am just under 50% of rated load capacity for the legs. They should have lasted a long time at that load.

I wanted to replace my legs with a higher rated leg from a different manufacturer, but could not find a heavier duty leg that would fit my unit.
And, going to the dual motor system does not help with this problem because each leg is still lifting the same weight with the same screw/collar/thread configuration that fails for many of us.
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS Modern Farmhouse (16" wheels, spring shackles set on lower hole of frame, SumoSprings TSS-107-40, standard kingpin, B&W Companion slider, TST-507 TPMS, Progressive Industries hardwired 50A EMS HW-50C)
2019 F250 SRW SuperCab 4X4 SB 6.2 (10,000# GVW) 3.73 Axle 18" wheels
Nature Ist is offline   Reply With Quote