Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-15-2021, 07:53 PM   #41

Call a tire store and they will send a truck out to help. I bet most towns have a truck available 24/7. You may have to pay the price, but you are on the road faster than 6 hours.
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 08:03 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Thank you I will.

Arizona DPS-Highway Patrol has a roadside assist service with several trucks, operated by retired DPS officers. They patrol the highways for this type of need. I blew a tire on the toy hauler about 10 miles short of Benson and ended up in a cell phone dead zone. I tried calling the insurance roadside assistance but had to limp about 200 yards to the next pullout to get phone service. Just as I did the DPS truck pulled up, checked on us, laughed about the dead spot saying that was the only one he had ever found along I-10 and I hit it. He waited until we knew someone was coming and took off for the next broken down vehicle. A good use of volunteers in my book.
I have been the recipient of help from ADOT roadside assistance. My F250 decided to quit just before rush hour and put me against the center wall. I called roadside assistance because I wasn’t getting out. The ADOT truck pulled behind me to see what was going on. I explained and he said that in about 10 minutes I would see a break in the 5 lanes of traffic. Sure enough, a highway patrol car was slowing/breaking traffic enough for the ADOT truck to push me over to the right shoulder safely. I was very much appreciative as was the tow truck when they arrived! I greatly appreciate our law enforcement officers. If I am not doing anything wrong and obeying the law, I have nothing to fear. Thank you to all of the law enforcement and military personnel on this forum for your service and sacrifice! ❤️
Mr&MrsSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 12:15 PM   #43

I take your point...but I also take issue.

No jack? Your bad.
Used the spare, didn't immediately buy another, and now have none? Your bad.
No emergency markers - e.g. cones or triangles or flares - to alert other drivers? Again, your bad.

Got cover from a cop who was free for a bit?...that was nice but hardly called for.

Numerous times I've called police to alert them to a disabled vehicle partially blocking traffic...often attempting a tire change. Some ill-equipped kid who's inexperienced dealing with roadside emergencies deserves some cover to avoid becoming road kill. I expect the cop might also scold the driver for not getting to a safer location and suggest learning some basic life skills.

But as an RV driver, one would expect that you'd be better prepared and capable of taking care of your problem...or that you have a roadside assistance program to manhandle a large-heavy tire...and/or effect a field repair/replacement. This is the price of entry into owning and operating a large recreational vehicle/tow vehicle combo.

I suspect that any cops who passed you by had every right to expect that you had the situation well in hand. You should have. That should be a reasonable expectation on their parts.

Again, I hear ya. It's no fun trying to change a tire while traffic is whizzing by at 65 MPH. But, if you're going to be out there wrangling 10,000 to 45,000 pounds of TV and rig down the highway, you best be prepared and capable...even if all that means is that you pickup your phone and call roadside assistance. Don't blame the cops if you're not.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 12:32 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmoore13 View Post
<<SNIP>>
Numerous times I've called police to alert them to a disabled vehicle partially blocking traffic...often attempting a tire change. Some ill-equipped kid who's inexperienced dealing with roadside emergencies deserves some cover to avoid becoming road kill. I expect the cop might also scold the driver for not getting to a safer location and suggest learning some basic life skills.

<<SNIP>>
P.S. While my son was in college, he hitched a ride home for the holidays with a friend. Long story short, they headed out over Wolf Creek Pass (over the Continental Divide) during a snowstorm. No snow tires, no emergency gear, no nothing...other than duffel bags full of dirty laundry. In the ditch before they knew it. The driver was ticketed (In Colorado, it's against the law to drive under these conditions without snowtires or chains). As college kids, they had no money and no roadside assistance and no experience. His cell phone was the only one that worked! From our home 6 hours away, we arranged for a tow back to Durango, because, again, it is illegal to drive in snow without snowtires...especially at altitude in CO.

I then equipped my son...who had no car...with a complete roadside emergency kit in a duffel...everything from a tow strap and jumper cables to emergency triangles, flashlight, and first aid kit. Thereafter, he carried it with him whenever riding in others' cars...and now he has it in his car.

Ultimately, only you are responsible for you and yours.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 12:58 PM   #45

As a current State Trooper, I will tell you to do two things:

1. Call 911, and ask if the they have a service unit or Trooper to assist you. If you get a Trooper, and you do not have a spare, the best he/she will do for you in call a tow truck. The Service Units usually have air compressors, power tools, and air bag jacks, and can get you up and running a lot faster.

2. Call 911, and if neither are available, ask for the nearest tow company or service station that can bring you a tire. We always had used tire shops or other tire shops on speed dial. You are not the first or last TT combo to break down or get a flat on the highway.

A disabled vehicle safely off to the right side of the road is the lowest priority emergency, but is still an emergency. Plenty of them get hit by other vehicles. So do not hesitate to call 911. If you are in an area with no service, flag someone down to call 911 when there is service up the road.
Old 09-16-2021, 01:13 PM   #46

When my axle hanger broke (not on the highway), my method was to use my lynx levellers and my truck jack. Worked like a charm. I would do the same if I was on the highway.

I also have a $5 tire repair kit under my backseat.
Attached Thumbnails
20210719_093802.jpg   20210719_102506.jpg   Capture.JPG  
Old 09-16-2021, 02:13 PM   #47
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahaywood5785 View Post
As a current State Trooper, I will tell you to do two things:

1. Call 911, and ask if the they have a service unit or Trooper to assist you. If you get a Trooper, and you do not have a spare, the best he/she will do for you in call a tow truck. The Service Units usually have air compressors, power tools, and air bag jacks, and can get you up and running a lot faster.

2. Call 911, and if neither are available, ask for the nearest tow company or service station that can bring you a tire. We always had used tire shops or other tire shops on speed dial. You are not the first or last TT combo to break down or get a flat on the highway.

A disabled vehicle safely off to the right side of the road is the lowest priority emergency, but is still an emergency. Plenty of them get hit by other vehicles. So do not hesitate to call 911. If you are in an area with no service, flag someone down to call 911 when there is service up the road.

Are you with Arizona Highway Patrol? 9-1-1- is the last number we want people calling for roadside assistance. That is an emergency number for emergencies. Tire changes are not emergencies. Now if they are blocking traffic, caught in traffic and can't move, a danger yes but not for tire changes.

Now, I could be wrong DPS does some things that the rest of us in LE in Arizona do not do (I'm not criticizing, I am laughing with you) and DPS may have time to call those emergencies and respond but 9-1-1 is overused for non-emergencies which ties the system up for those who have life threatening emergencies.

Please call your roadside assistance and not 9-1-1 if you are safely off on the side of the road.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 02:57 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Are you with Arizona Highway Patrol? 9-1-1- is the last number we want people calling for roadside assistance. That is an emergency number for emergencies. Tire changes are not emergencies. Now if they are blocking traffic, caught in traffic and can't move, a danger yes but not for tire changes.

Now, I could be wrong DPS does some things that the rest of us in LE in Arizona do not do (I'm not criticizing, I am laughing with you) and DPS may have time to call those emergencies and respond but 9-1-1 is overused for non-emergencies which ties the system up for those who have life threatening emergencies.

Please call your roadside assistance and not 9-1-1 if you are safely off on the side of the road.

I certainly agree to call for roadside assistance in any state that has that service (however a caveat below). I found a list of numbers for each state that I suggest every keep a copy, and if anyone finds a better list then please share it.

https://www.kansashighwaypatrol.org/...ion-all-States

With that and the caveat, I noticed that a lot of states only show a number to call as 911 and I agree with CAG not to call an emergency number when there is no emergency, and instead call for roadside assistance, even a local tow company can change a tire (ask them before they come out). In any case, I checked on a couple states, Nebraska for example:

https://statepatrol.nebraska.gov/contact
If you witness a motorist in need of assistance or would like to report a reckless or impaired driver or a traffic infraction, please report this immediately by dialing 911 or utilizing the Nebraska State Patrol Highway Helpline by dialing *55 from your cellular phone when safe to do so, or 1-800-525-5555. (interesting that it doesn't state to call if you are the motorist in need of assistance )

With that in mind, I recommend to always call the alternative number (roadside assistance) instead of calling 911 unless of course it is an emergency. ~CA
Old 09-16-2021, 03:44 PM   #49
CAG

And Arizona DPS also considers it a valid use of 9-1-1 as I found. I do understand why with the congested freeways and high speeds.

https://www.azdps.gov/organization/HPD/rma

Those of us who worked in the cities always requested that short of stuck in the middle of the road, you call the local police NON emergency number. If your a traffic hazard on city streets call the emergency number.

As the rhyme that always played on TV in the 70's said for calls to Phoenix PD 2-6-2-6-1-5-1 or now it is 602-262-6151.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 04:33 PM   #50

The Bride and I were headed home from one of our outings and we had a blowout. While waiting on the shoulder for “roadside” a TX state trooper stopped behind us and after a couple of questions (“what happened”, “need help?”) said he’d wait for our roadside to make sure we remained safe. Busy highway with narrow-ish shoulders. I chatted with him a bit and found him very friendly. After a bit I told him to excuse my comment but he looked really young (I look quite the opposite) and with a sheepish grin he told me he was a very new trooper and still in his probation period. I’m sure in the following years he’s become seasoned but still the same helpful trooper. Other that the blowout being a PITA it was a very gratifying experience.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote