Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-19-2018, 05:58 PM   #1

Leak in new trailer

I have a brand new 29.5FBDS, and the floor next to the master bed is wet (right behind the toilet wall). It's in line with the slide, so I suspected that at first, but we haven't had enough rain to really be possible. Fortunately it doesn't smell, so nothing bad like that. We're hooked up to City water, so wondering if there is a chance something is wrong with a valve. In either case, how do I go about tracking this down? Any thoughts on what it could be?
29.5FBDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 06:12 PM   #2

Get a hose and spry the slideout to see if it's leaking.
If not then remove any panels that can give you access to your plumbing.
Did you check the fitting at the back of the toilet?
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 06:49 PM   #3

Check and make sure the toilet supply line isn't leaking and flowing under the wall
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 07:55 PM   #4

Yup. Check toilet and lines feeding bathroom faucets. Sounds like it’s coming from the bathroom
Old 05-19-2018, 08:59 PM   #5

Had the same exact thing in our 29.5FBDS, it was the connection to thr toilet. Tech had to replace the fittings and then all the insulation under the trailer...
Old 05-19-2018, 10:35 PM   #6

Woah, that's not good. From what I can tell from the bathroom, the toilet supply line looks good. No moisture at all behind the toilet. Is it possible the leak is below the floor going to the toilet?

If I spray the slide, I don't know where to look for the leak. The only indication is a wet carpet.
Old 05-21-2018, 05:58 AM   #7

Question. Do you have a water pressure reducer on your city water hookup? I had a leak in my Designer 5th wheel last year. Added the reducer and all leaks stopped. Found that high pressure water was forcing water past fittings.
khahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 06:07 AM   #8

I would dry the area and then lay toilet paper down.

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 07:55 AM   #9
Dan

If the trailer is new, and not "new to you," I would take it to dealer (warranty).

2013 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7L CTD DRW CCLB
2015 White Hawk 28DSBH (trade-in)
2015 Eagle 355MBQS (trade-in)
2019 Jay Flight 29BHDB
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:34 AM   #10

Brand New 295 BHOK, had to tighten the fittings at the water heater and coming from the waterpump, only found those beacause I had the water hooked up while in my driveway for a few days and noticed small wet spots under the trailer. I think Jayco needs to do a better job on Quality Control.
purebredmutt89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:10 AM   #11

I put some paper towels behind the toilet. Absolutely no leak there (at least above the floor).

I popped a couple screws from the underbelly and peered in, but could not see anything pertinent to the leak. No water either.

We're hooked up to City water, with a pressure reducer.

We're living in the trailer during a remodel, and I don't have a truck to bring it to the dealership. Anyone know if they'll come service it under warranty on location?
Old 05-21-2018, 10:23 AM   #12

Our 1st TT we owned we had a leak at the WH. We were sitting outside the TT and I noticed some water dripping from the WH area. Though it was just the pressure relief valve. Investigated further and after taking a panel off and looking at the WH fittings I found both were loose. This was after several trips.
These things tend to loosen up over time. Just part of ownership IMO.
Nice that you caught it and it was an easy fix.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:59 AM   #13

To 29.5FBDS:

Do you have a black tank washer? Is it in the vicinity of the leak, and have you used the black tank washer lately? Sometimes the vacuum breaker/check valve of a black tank washer leaks. The valve in question is probably in a wall or other hard to get to location.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 11:27 AM   #14

I do have a black tank flush, which I've used a couple times recently. It's fairly close to the water, yes.

This morning, I looked beneath the sink next to the shower and the connections were a bit loose, a bit of water was coming down. I'm not sure it's enough to cause the wet floor (on the opposite side of the trailer). I tightened these best I could and put some paper towels under them to see if they continue to leak.

We're going to dry the carpet as much as we can and then track it to try to correlate to some action (rain, black tank flush, city water vs tank, etc...).

I also have a call into the dealer.
Old 05-22-2018, 11:18 PM   #15

Found the leak!!

It was the threaded connection for the city water hookup. Had to pop a panel off the wall in the bathroom. Location makes perfect sense. Thanks to everyone who took the time to answer!!

Old 05-23-2018, 06:58 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29.5FBDS View Post
Found the leak!!

It was the threaded connection for the city water hookup. Had to pop a panel off the wall in the bathroom. Location makes perfect sense. Thanks to everyone who took the time to answer!!

Great detective work! Glad to hear you located the leak. Both of our units have had small plumbing leaks that showed up when they were pretty new. Both were threaded hand-tighten connections. I see a developing pattern

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 07:04 AM   #17

Being a Jayco try to take it to the aelling dealer (the one you purchased it from) if not you can be hit with a diag fee its $140 per item.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
If the trailer is new, and not "new to you," I would take it to dealer (warranty).
2019 - Jayco - JayFeather SLX 174BH
enri1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 10:20 PM   #18

Talk to the mobil service and see if they will do warranty work. Some will not because of the rates the mfg specify. Some will.

Glad you found the leak. We had a fitting behind the control panel leak as well. Replaced it.

You might also check your kitchen and bathroom faucet connections. When under higher pressure ours would leak.

Took us a while to find it. There would be a puddle under the kitchen sink. No leaks or wet water lines visible. What happens is due to hot water heater. When you take a shower or use a lot of hot water you get cold water in the heater. Water is shut off. As the water heats up the pressure increases quite a bit. That was when our fittings would leak. About a cup or two of water. Then it would stop until a lot of hot water was used again. Our case we'd get a leak every three or four nights.

FYI, also check the little washers in the faucet fittings. Some have found them missing or 'crushed'.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 06:04 PM   #19

I tighten all the accessible water fittings when I open each season. Under the sinks, toilet, back of water heater. They definitely seem to loosen up over the winter.
Old 05-30-2018, 09:54 AM   #20

Forgot. Kitchen sink drains. When ours sits for a while it seems the seal 'dries up' a bit and will leak when we use it. So, I check them frequently as well.

We also had two elbow fittings crack and leak. Very small amount, just enough to be annoying.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote