Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-22-2022, 01:28 PM   #1

leaking toilet

We have a 2018 30.5MLOK. I noticed that there was water leaking out from under the toilet this past week while on a short trip up to Oregon. The water is coming from under the toilet at the front and onto the floor. Is it possible that there is a crack in it somewhere? We were living in it in our driveway last winter while our house was under remodel. That is when we had the snow storm of the century, 3 feet ( I know not a lot compared to other parts of the country) the roads were blocked by downed trees and power lines, no power for about 3 weeks. Could the toilet freeze and crack with the cold weather (of course the heater had to die then) It's not a lot of water but if left unrepaired I'm afraid of damage to the floor. Is there a seal there between the toilet and the floor like a house toilet?
spluce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 02:22 PM   #2

Since you didn't mention what toilet you have, here's a couple of possibilities.
Your water valve has started leaking. If not properly winterized a freeze will ruin them. Also, they can randomly leak at the stem that operates the valve, a internal o-ring fails. Or, there could be a loose clamp on the water supply line leaking.
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 11:24 PM   #3

I had that same leak, but in my case it was just a somewhat loose water line fitting to toilet that needed more tightening. Obviously, you have to be very careful with those plastic fittings. Solved my problem.
Edutron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 02:52 AM   #4

Had the same leaking problem in our last RV, a new 2018 Thor Four Winds. Took it to the dealer and they told me the toilet attachment bolts needed tightened. Still leaked. Turns out the seal between the toilet and the black tank pipe was missing.
Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Toad
2008 Honda Gold Wing Level 3
1968 Honda CT90
stu stoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 05:43 AM   #5

Not totally surprised the way they're slapped together, but geeeze...
(off subject Stu, but I grew up on and abused a 1962 honda sport 50.. Bullet proof!)

TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 07:32 AM   #6

I would pull the stool and check the rubber piece below, and change it out. Also, as mentioned, the water valves are notorious for leaks. I bought a new replacement for mine and the new one leaked right out of the package. I exchanged it for another new one and no problems since.

A friend of mine had a leak develop and when he pulled his stool, he found the rubber piece between the floor and stool had been factory installed upside down.
Riich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 05:18 PM   #7

Another common failure point is the vacuum breaker. Mine failed and fooled me, too. Saw water coming out at the base of the the unit and assumed a failed base seal.

All mechanicals are on the back of the toilet (Thetford), so anything that fails back there looks like something failed at the base.

Vacuum breaker is last assembly right before the outlet to the bowl. The rubber seal at the top stopped sealing on mine. $20 plus my labor to fix… and lots of running in and out of the coach when turning on and off the water.

Todd
Just outside Philly
2018 377RLBH
2019 Ford F450 Platinum
Old Faithful: 2004 GMC Sierra 3500 Diesel Dually
Lowmiler is offline   Reply With Quote