Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-27-2022, 11:29 AM   #1

Leaving the slides out

My rig doubles as a "man cave" when parked in our yard. Rather than exercise the slides each time, I'm considering to leave them open and cover with an over size tarp.

Any thoughts or "don't do its"?
Old 11-27-2022, 01:32 PM   #2
Site Team

Mine stays open unless the winds are high and it's rainy. No tarp but mine is a metal carport.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 01:25 PM   #3

I lived in mine for 16 months and never closed them once. I thought about getting those slide supports but never did and all still works fine.
Flashdman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 03:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashdman11 View Post
I lived in mine for 16 months and never closed them once. I thought about getting those slide supports but never did and all still works fine.
DO NOT EVER USE SLIDE SUPPORTS!

If your slides are out for an extended length of time, your tires may lose some pressure. As the main part of your trailer sags, it puts more weight on the slide supports pushing up on them and straining the slide mechanism!

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 03:35 PM   #5

Why do you need to tarp them?
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 04:53 AM   #6

We built a summer home and made a dedicated camping site there (full hookup) for guests with campers. So my 5th wheel is parked there 5 months a year and the slides stay out all the time unless were on the road camping. The slides are built to stay out so no worries and no need for tarps unless you have leaks and then its time to fix those.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 05:20 AM   #7

My slide is about 11foot long and I leave it out all winter long from Nov. to April.
Old 12-09-2022, 12:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
Why do you need to tarp them?

I try to tarp our rig during the unused months. For the sake of roof longevity. Likewise the slide tops. I normally leave the slides in. But this new to us Eagle is too comfortable to just let it sit closed up for the winter.
Old 12-09-2022, 12:02 PM   #9

I think having the slides out is easier on the seals. Slides out also allows you to keep the slide seals lubed and maintained.
2016 Ram 2500 CC SWB 6.4 Hemi 3:73
2021 Jay Flight 33RBTS- +/- 10,500 lbs. on travel day
Hughes Power Watchdog Bluetooth surge protector
Jerry713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 03:29 PM   #10

I lube my seals 2 times a year. Inside and outside seals.
I also keep my slide closed if I am not living in the trailer (camping).

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 07:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGoat View Post
I try to tarp our rig during the unused months. For the sake of roof longevity. Likewise the slide tops. I normally leave the slides in. But this new to us Eagle is too comfortable to just let it sit closed up for the winter.
Tarps are generally not recommended for an RV roof. The wind starts flapping and it can wear through the roof. It also traps moisture under the tarp and can cause damage to the roof membrane. A breathable cover would be a better option, but I don't think it will actually do anything for longevity. Routine maintenance and caulking at the walls is the most important.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 01:06 PM   #12

We have lived in ours full time for 5 years now with the slides out except the odd times we had to move it. No problems so far.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 04:30 PM   #13

Our rig is permanently parked at a seasonal RV park and stays there year round. I use adjustable slide jacks on my super slide but I also use them along the main frame on both sides. I have four of them along each side equally spaced as well as the unit stabilizers and two on the slide. Amazing !!!! no movement at all. When we first got the unit with the bigger slide out I could feel the trailer moving when we moved around. I routinely check all of the jacks for tightness and adjust if necessary. Plus having the jacks on the frame takes the weight off the tires. If I didn't use jacks on the main frame I would install pressure treated timber cribbing instead. Cheers, Rick
CBCOCRBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 07:51 AM   #14

We don't have slides so hypothetical question.

Do they ever freeze open.. It snows here a lot and often snowstorms finish with freezing rain then the temp plummets below zero F.

We sometimes have to bang on the rig to deice it before heading south as slabs of ice coming off it are potentially lethal.

I don't see any slides open in the RV lots around here ( dealers) most everyone stores their owned RV at home. Would love to hear from folks who still get 100-150 inches of snow a year but with warming, more frequent freezing rain.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 08:15 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Gass View Post
We don't have slides so hypothetical question.

Do they ever freeze open.. It snows here a lot and often snowstorms finish with freezing rain then the temp plummets below zero F.

We sometimes have to bang on the rig to deice it before heading south as slabs of ice coming off it are potentially lethal.

I don't see any slides open in the RV lots around here ( dealers) most everyone stores their owned RV at home. Would love to hear from folks who still get 100-150 inches of snow a year but with warming, more frequent freezing rain.
We close up our unit at the end of September and the slide is also closed so have never had to worry about the mechanism freezing. I would be less concerned with the closing mechanism as it is protected and more concerned about ice build up on the slide roof, roof seals, and side seals. If your camping in winter weather and running a lot of heat there will be thermal bridging which will melt snow and freeze. A common example of this is older homes with poor insulation in the attic which end up with huge ice dams at the eave edge. Also banging on the ice to release it may work but you could inadvertently damage your rig. Cheers from Rick.
CBCOCRBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 08:27 AM   #16

True banging on the rig to get ice off may damage it but we are pretty good at it.. It is less destructive than losing ice off the roof on the Turnpike and causing injury to others ( and it is a felony too) We leave for Florida in January and return in mid March.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 07:18 PM   #17

Other than when traveling, our slides have been out for 6+ years. However it's under a roof & has slide toppers.
We have kept it under a roof since new except for about 2years when we retired and rented a lot at Lake Fork then built a rv pad & roof at our farm & we have been living in the rv since early June while we are building our new home
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote