Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-21-2018, 09:35 PM   #1

LED Awning Lights

The LED awning lighting on our 2014 27.5RLTS EagleHT, needs to be replaced, but i’m having a hard time trying to find the actual track that attaches to the awning. Ours is currently warped bad.(see pics). Lights still work. I emailed Jayco parts department, and went to our local Jayco dealer. Still nothing yet. Any ideas on where to obtain parts? We also want brighter lights any ideas on which ones to purchase? Thanks for the help!
Attached Thumbnails
EF4DCB2A-3067-4BC7-866C-2F79AF2FAA65.jpg  
JTCooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 09:43 PM   #2

Can't help but I have the same issue. Hopefully someone posts a solution for both of our sakes!
Slapshot100mph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 09:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapshot100mph View Post
Can't help but I have the same issue. Hopefully someone posts a solution for both of our sakes!
I’d like to know what caused it? Was thinking heat from the weather or even from the lights, but I didn’t think LED lights heat up that much to do that much warping.
JTCooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 10:09 PM   #4

I bought the following on Amazon, they can be cut to length. They come with their own track but i was able to push them in to the existing track even though it was a tight fit.
RecPro RV BLUE LED AWNING PARTY LIGHT 12V W/MOUNTING CHANNEL - BLACK PCB (16')
JonathanCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 10:10 PM   #5

I'm guessing its simply a case of crappy lights with crappy adhesive. Based on what I've come up with so far one can get a decent set of replacement lights at a reasonable cost an do the install with some 3M double sided tape. Kind of toying with the idea of switching to a more adjustable set up with dimmable and colour changing LED's. Not sure how big of a challenge the wiring would be though.
Slapshot100mph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 06:46 AM   #6

I've been looking at adding some LED SMD self adhesive strips under the awning, cleaning the area will be a critical step, getting all the wax off to make sure they stick really well. Maybe even go with an RGB set to have different colors.
fast_st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 09:20 AM   #7

I had same issue on 2014. Dealer replaced light strip and was told by Dometic that it was do to heat and problem was corrected on new one. Shortly thereafter it happened again. Dealer corrected it by using a 3M tape. It has been ok since but dealer said Dometic would only pay once under warranty. I contacted Dometic directly and sent them copy of bill I paid and they reimbursed me.
esacnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 10:09 AM   #8

I added lights to my Skylark, didn't come with them originally. Used quality dimmable "warm white" under 3K color, so they don't blind neighbors or have obnoxious colors. Used automotive double sided tape, much stronger than the sticky-back on the lights. Being dimmable allows real versatile camp use, not just blinding harsh bright.
Attached Thumbnails
20180312_202704.jpg  
Old 08-21-2018, 12:49 AM   #9

Smile How do I add an LED stirp to my Skylark?

I have a Skylark and would like to add an LED light strip under the awning. How do you wire it into the electrical system? Can anyone kindly explain it to me in layman's terms as I am definitely not electrically proficient!
starhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 05:29 AM   #10

Bought this. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Used a master switch, took fused power from the stove fan/light. Drilled a tiny wires hole in place under the awning and sealed with proper RV sealant. Used 3M automotive tape in addition to the crappy adhesive the lights already have, as it's insufficient.

The 10-step dimmer works great, and being RF you can have it in your pocket and use it outside the trailer.

Sometimes campers forget with all their bright and colored lights that there might be people who go camping to GET AWAY from all that BS, and be minimally invasive when they camp.

Good luck, send a picture if you can. -Tim
Old 08-21-2018, 08:24 AM   #11

Here is what I used this season to replace mine. I slid the old out and put the new ones in the existing track. You do not use the adhesive, just the track holds it in place.

I would get the connector so it's easily replaced down the line again.

There are others not wide enough to hold in the track and you need one this wide to fit correctly.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 09:01 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by vw56bug View Post
Bought this. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Used a master switch, took fused power from the stove fan/light. Drilled a tiny wires hole in place under the awning and sealed with proper RV sealant. Used 3M automotive tape in addition to the crappy adhesive the lights already have, as it's insufficient.

The 10-step dimmer works great, and being RF you can have it in your pocket and use it outside the trailer.

Sometimes campers forget with all their bright and colored lights that there might be people who go camping to GET AWAY from all that BS, and be minimally invasive when they camp.

Good luck, send a picture if you can. -Tim
I used a similar kit from Amazon (IR remote) and also ditched the warped plastic track. No point replacing it as it'll just warp again from the heat under the awning. I used 3m tape too. I dim my lights right down if we are outside and only need the lighting to see where we're going.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 09:48 AM   #13

Thanks!
Old 08-24-2018, 09:41 PM   #14

"Master Switch"? Again, I am an electrical novice. Any way you could send a few pics of what the connection to the stove/fan light looks like and what your Master Switch looks like? (and where it's mounted). Many thanks!
Old 08-25-2018, 06:43 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by starhopper View Post
"Master Switch"? Again, I am an electrical novice. Any way you could send a few pics of what the connection to the stove/fan light looks like and what your Master Switch looks like? (and where it's mounted). Many thanks!
If yours is the same as the pic earlier in the thread then you could pickup switched power from the original outside light and just run a wire from there to the new LED light. If you remove the bulb from the OE light then the new strip becomes your outdoor lighting. The controller I used remembers the last setting when it's turned back on so you don't need the IR controller every time, just to change the strip light intens/color
Old 08-25-2018, 11:51 AM   #16

So, the voltage on the external light will run the LED strip? Will I need the transformer at all?
Old 08-25-2018, 12:32 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by starhopper View Post
So, the voltage on the external light will run the LED strip? Will I need the transformer at all?
Pretty much all of the LED strip light packages come with a transformer to convert 110v-12v for in-home use. Throw this on the garage shelf and just wire it up to 12v. You'll need to cutoff the plug and wire that plug directly to the 12v supply inside the OE light. Just leave enough length on it to get there. I used some RTV sealant to seal my control box from moisture as it's mounted to the outside wall right at the end of the strip and under the awning. I used 3M tape to mount it.

I used this kit https://www.amazon.com/SUPERNIGHT-Fl...70_&dpSrc=srch

This is how I mounted the controller for mine. I had OE LED lighting I was replacing so had a power feed at the top of the awning.
Attached Thumbnails
jayco7.jpg   jayco4.jpg   jayco5.jpg  
Old 08-26-2018, 01:11 AM   #18

Thanks a bunch - the pics are a big help!
Old 08-30-2018, 06:33 PM   #19

OK - so the LED kit came today (same exact kit you purchased) and I am TOTALLY confused. I simply don't know how to connect the two wires in OE light fixture to the DC jack on top of the control box. I guess I somehow have to find a jack that will fit into the DC input on the control box and attach the two wires to that? Or, just find an old power adapter that I don't need and cut the dc plug off it and splice the wires to it?

Old 08-30-2018, 08:59 PM   #20

Dunno what you bought, not my recommendation. Not into the colored lights thing.