Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-04-2015, 07:32 PM   #1

led lights on power awning

We have a jayco eagle 23.5RBS 2014 5th wheel and discovered yesterday there is a strip of led lights along the awning, but we cant find anyway to turn them on. It is wired into the power awning.
maggie130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 07:57 PM   #2

Mine is wired to same switch on the wall that turns on the yellow or orange light under the stairwell.
speckfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 08:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by speckfisher View Post
Mine is wired to same switch on the wall that turns on the yellow or orange light under the stairwell.
We dont have any lights on the steps
Old 08-04-2015, 08:22 PM   #4
Site Team

Did you buy the Trailer new. If not does the LED strip have a plug on the rnd of it? Could be after market??

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
WVDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 08:48 PM   #5

We bought it new and it was already installed
Old 08-04-2015, 09:13 PM   #6

On our Eagle TT the LED strip is turned on with the single unnamed black rocker switch. The strip could be bad. We just had our 3rd set replaced under warranty.
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 26RLS-Sold
2014 Jayco Eagle 298 RLDS
maromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 05:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie130 View Post
We dont have any lights on the steps
Look behind the top step inside the step frame. If there is a small amber light fixture there, that is what they're calling the step light. The LED light usually comes on with it. Our switch says awning1/step
Slotted and Dimpled Brake Rotors
Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Ultimate Airbags with WirelessAIR Controller
TexasRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 05:33 AM   #8

There is an unnamed rocker switch and tried it but nothing happened, so maybe it is the strip. There is a lught behind the step but nothing happens when the rocker switch is pushed. Which is another probrm as when you push the rocker switch up or down, it doesnt stay there, it goes back to the middle
Old 08-05-2015, 07:07 AM   #9

Quote:
There is an unnamed rocker switch and tried it but nothing happened, so maybe it is the strip. There is a lught behind the step but nothing happens when the rocker switch is pushed. Which is another probrm as when you push the rocker switch up or down, it doesnt stay there, it goes back to the middle
From your discription, that rocker switch sounds like it's the battery disconnect switch. Press the switch and hold it for approximately 1-2 seconds. If you hear a distinct "Click/thump noise" then you've either connected the battery or disconnected the battery. It's easy to determine, if you're not on shore power and you've got house lights after the Thump then you've "connected" the battery. if you're not on shore power and you don't have house lights then you've "disconnected" the battery. Ofcourse you'll need to actually turn on a light to actually verify.

Good luck! Learning and figuring out these systems is part of the Fun!!!
Old 08-05-2015, 07:32 AM   #10

Nope, not the battery disconnect switch either
Old 08-05-2015, 07:42 AM   #11

Is that the only switch in your panel you can't tell what it does? Do all your other 12V circuits work?

It seems odd that they would install a momentary switch for the awning lights, but I guess it's possible. Does your unit have a remote?

If that is the only possible switch it could be, then the first thing I would try is to check the fuses. Next I would get to the back of the switch itself and see if the connections are loose. It's pretty common for them to be loose from the factory from what I understand.

Since your "step light" is most likely wired to your awning LED, it seems unlikely that the relevant switch wouldn't turn on at least one of the lights. Those LED strips seem to have a relatively high failure rate, but the step light is just a standard incandescent light (just like your other marker lights) and should work even if the LED is kaput.

Let us know what you find.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:46 AM   #12

My rocker switch turns the awning lights on and the underneath step light when you press the upper portion and off when you press the lower portion. If your unit is new, the switch may be bad. If you know anything about electricity you could take it apart and check if you didn't want to take it back to the dealer.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:50 AM   #13

My awning/step light switch is momentary also, but it is labeled. It could also be as simple as a wire came off the back of the switch.
Slotted and Dimpled Brake Rotors
Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Ultimate Airbags with WirelessAIR Controller
TexasRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 08:41 AM   #14

Yes it is the only unnamed switch that doesnt work, all ther 12volt circuits work. Have a remote for slide, awning and legs, but I think not for the led lighs. Strange that porch light function is on the remote but it doesnt work, have to turn it on from the panel. Checked the fuses and seemed ok although there were a couple not marked. We don't know how to get into the panel to see if the connections are ok
Old 08-05-2015, 10:01 AM   #15

A momentary rocker switch is usually controlling something that is also controlled by a remote. Do you have the remote? We do and it hides behind a removable panel in the basement, rear wall, door side. The controller has several relays and are labeled.
I've had one of the rocker switches go bad, inside they look a little flimsy.
Our remote will control the landing gear, rear stabilizers, slides (3), awning, front porch light and DS scare light (floodlight).

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 10:01 AM   #16

Quote:
The switch that does not stay in either an up or down configuration is a momentary contact rocker switch. It is probably working. We also have one and it turns on our step lights and one set of awning lights. Sounds like there is a problem with the lights if you push that momentary switch up and nothing happens on any light.
2013 GMC Sierra 2500 CC SB 4x4 Duramax
skijlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 01:00 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
A momentary rocker switch is usually controlling something that is also controlled by a remote. Do you have the remote? We do and it hides behind a removable panel in the basement, rear wall, door side. The controller has several relays and are labeled.
I've had one of the rocker switches go bad, inside they look a little flimsy.
Our remote will control the landing gear, rear stabilizers, slides (3), awning, front porch light and DS scare light (floodlight).
That's what I'm thinking. So you can use the switch OR the remote, independently, the rocker is momentary and probably just throws a relay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skijlw View Post
The switch that does not stay in either an up or down configuration is a momentary contact rocker switch. It is probably working. We also have one and it turns on our step lights and one set of awning lights. Sounds like there is a problem with the lights if you push that momentary switch up and nothing happens on any light.
I disagree. IMHO if you punch that switch and NO lights come on, it's more likely to be the switch. If the remote is present and it is supposedly able to control the lights, give it a try; if the lights work, it's definitely the switch. Since there are two lights (or more?) on that circuit, it's unlikely that BOTH lights would be defective; you would figure one or the other would work ... Of course, you could check voltage at the socket or the bare wires at the light and see if it's getting any voltage at all. Heck, it could be a loose wire on the back of the fuse panel.

Just my pair o' pennies. I hope OP gets it figured out. If not, I'd add it to a punch list for the dealer (or other repair technician) if possible.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 01:17 PM   #18

We have a remote but it wont work the porch light, we have to turn on the porch light from the panel. The rest of the things on the remote work, slide, jacks and awning
Old 08-05-2015, 01:25 PM   #19

Is there different remotes? My husband thinks we have the wrong one
Old 08-05-2015, 01:27 PM   #20

We have a remote but it wont work the porch light, we have to turn on the irch light from the panel. The rest of the things on the remote work, slide, jacks and awning. In the fuse box there are two empty spots where there are no fuses in them