Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-29-2016, 05:58 PM   #1

let's talk tires

Aight fellas,before anybody unloads on me,trust me,I know that the Goodyear g614 is the best tire available for a 16 " wheel for my 5w, my question is what other tires are yall runnin? I've looked at the Michellin XPS (e rated) and the Sailun 637 (G rated). Does anyone on here currently have any longevity experience with the Sailuns? My 5er is rated at 15k last trip to scales it was 12500 but not completely loaded. Axles had 10,000 on them. Looking to be around 14k loaded with about 11,500 on the axles and that's probably being liberal with the weight. Camper was 75% loaded when I went to scales. Everything except linen,clothes and food.
kreid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 06:07 PM   #2

let's talk tires

I've had Sailuns for about a year and a half. I highly recommend them. Seriously heavy duty tires at about half the price of g614.

My 377 is hovering in the 14k weight range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 06:16 PM   #3

Thanks Tom. Do you know how many miles you've put on those sailuns? And what type of weather conditions are they stored in? Here in NC it's sunny 90% of the year with high humidity and very heavy sunshine. I do have tire covers but they don't keep the moisture out of the tires unfortunately. Moisture is what kills trailer tires wicking through and delamination them front the inside out. I also park them on boards.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:11 PM   #4

If I were to guess, I'd say somewhere between 5-7k miles. I'm in northwest Houston. Very hot and humid most of the time. (All of the time)

My trailer is stored year round outdoors on the side of my garage. I do not cover my trailer or the tires and they are parked on concrete. They never run more than 10-15 degrees above ambient air temperature while towing. I usually tow around 70 mph. I run mine at 110 psi and going down the road, even after several hours, they stay cool and the pressure doesn't go more than 120-125psi.

There are several other members with Sailun tires with similar results. I'm not sure I can accurately describe how heavy duty these tires are. The tire alone weighed more than my stock tires and rims combined. When you have the stock China bombs side by side with the Sailun, the stock tires look like they belong on a toy. Very thin and flimsy. Makes you understand why they're called China bombs. Also makes you wonder why they would put such cheap, flimsy tires on such a big, heavy trailer.

BTW, if you do get them, make sure you get the metal valve stems.

Old 11-29-2016, 07:26 PM   #5

Our rig came new with Good Year E's and I planne on running them for about 1 year before replacing with better tires.

My choice, thanks to info from Rob in Fla, was the Sailun G rated 637's and knew our rims would be OK with the bigger higher pressure tires.

We have been running with the Sailun's since October 2013 and have had zero issues. I can only remember a few times where I've even had to add air in them.

Miles on them? Don't keep those calculations but you can see where we started, where we've traveled and where we are now by clicking here.

When it is time to replace you can bet Sailun's will be going back on.

Safe travels.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 08:09 PM   #6

Thanks Larry
Old 11-29-2016, 08:11 PM   #7

I think I am just about convinced. Just trying to find somewhere to buy them. Obviously you run a tire pressure monitoring system,what kind do you have? Does it interfere with the tow vehicle sensor system or vice versa?
Old 11-29-2016, 08:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreid View Post
I think I am just about convinced. Just trying to find somewhere to buy them. Obviously you run a tire pressure monitoring system,what kind do you have? Does it interfere with the tow vehicle sensor system or vice versa?
Sorry,Tom, that question was for you
Old 11-29-2016, 08:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Thanks Larry
Follow up....bought our Sailun's at a Big O's in Reno.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 08:39 PM   #10

I use TST 507 tpms. I do not have factory tpms on my dually so I can't speak of any interference issues. I ordered my tires online from simpletire.com

I then took them to my local tire shop to get mounted.

Old 11-29-2016, 09:40 PM   #11

It's a good day to be a kreid, except I spell mine the right way,... kreed. Lol!
One of my previous 5er's needed tires. I went with BFG Commercial tires. BFG is owned by Michelin, so you get a good tire without paying for the Michelin name. Those BFG's were a good tire, lasted a long time and never had any issues. I saw the new owner of that unit this past summer and he still has those on there. No checking in the sidewalls, lots of tread life left on them, and they are going to be 5yrs old in April of 2017.
Just my $.02 worth.
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 10:20 PM   #12

I got my upgraded sailun tires and wheels from trailertiresandwheels.com. A local tire shop said his tires would cost more than the tires and wheels I got. They came mounted and balanced. The only hitch is they require sending them to a business address. A local RV shop aceptted them for me.
Jack 56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 09:48 AM   #13

We also got our Sailuns and rims from Trailer Tires and Wheels but had to go to the local Fed-Ex to pick them up. Maybe consider upgrading to a 17.5" tire& rim (H rated), that's what we did and I don't regret it one bit. As others have said- the Sailuns are MUCH heavier than anything I've ever seen in this size. Ours have about 3000 mi. on them and are running great.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:03 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
I use TST 507 tpms. I do not have factory tpms on my dually so I can't speak of any interference issues. I ordered my tires online from simpletire.com

I then took them to my local tire shop to get mounted.

This is what I did at Tom's recommendation. I've only had them on for about a month now, so I can't really comment on them yet.
Old 11-30-2016, 12:09 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
This is what I did at Tom's recommendation. I've only had them on for about a month now, so I can't really comment on them yet.
BOOKEM, FROM WHAT I understand they now make the S637 and the S637T which is their trailer version, been out for about 3 months. I called Sailun,spoke with an engineer and he could tell me the difference except that one is designed specifically for trailers. Wonder if you got the ST's?
Old 11-30-2016, 01:31 PM   #16

Quote:
BOOKEM, FROM WHAT I understand they now make the S637 and the S637T which is their trailer version, been out for about 3 months. I called Sailun,spoke with an engineer and he could tell me the difference except that one is designed specifically for trailers. Wonder if you got the ST's?
I'll stop and check on the way home, but I'm pretty sure I have the S637's, Not the "T".
Old 11-30-2016, 05:52 PM   #17

Just got back from storage...the Sailuns are the S637's like I thought, NOT the "T" version.
Old 11-30-2016, 06:03 PM   #18

Thanks Bookem
Old 12-03-2016, 05:22 AM   #19

Just ordered 5 Sailun s637 in 235 80 r16. And a TST 507 TPMS. Hopefully I'll have as good of an experience with these tires as you guys have had.
By the way,what's the average psi you guys run? I haven't been able to find an inflation chart for these tires online.
Old 12-03-2016, 06:17 AM   #20

Quote:
By the way,what's the average psi you guys run? I haven't been able to find an inflation chart for these tires online.
Check out this inflation chart from Goodyear and see if this helps.

wan-der-lust's YouTube Channel and Instagram

wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote