Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-20-2019, 01:25 PM   #21

I do BOTH

I have always leveled first on my other trailers. I now own a Pinnacle and I used to level it before I put the 5 slides out as well. Then a friend who has also owned several RVs told me he does both. That is because there is the possibility of some tilting due the weight shift with the slides out. I have been doing that since he said it and I am always pleased.
jangeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 02:17 PM   #22

One other reason to level first: Once level, putting out the slides causes a very very slight tilt to the left (both my slides are on the left). This has the rain water draining outward rather than into the cabin. My Greyhawk is 3 years old and never had a leak.
leeinmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 03:05 PM   #23

An ounce of Prevention is worth a pound of cure! With that said, I always store my RV as if I'm going to camp in it but with the slide withdrawn (to save seals from UV damage and debate tomorrow roof). I always spray the tires and leveling pads with ant/roach spray twice weekly to keep out curious pests.
32Pinnical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 10:16 PM   #24

I've owned several slide units over the years and I've slid them out and THEN leveled and vice versa. Never had a frame problem. Never had a binding slide problem. My current unit (or camper trailer as someone here referred to awhile back) isn't convenient to slide the kitchen slide first because the leveling leg is under it and I don't feel like crawling down there to extend the leg down the 3 or 4 holes it would need. OM says level first. Dealer one says level first. Dealer two says slide first. Sometimes, you just gotta do what you think is best for you. And your rig.

2020 Ram Longhorn 6.7 Cummins Aisin CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 371FLFS
JaycoAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 03:45 AM   #25

I am always amazed at those who try to out-engineer the factory. What did/does your manual say? If it says level first.....then level first.
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 10:49 AM   #26

I always level first before extending my slides. If you think about it your frame has some flex in it. If you extend or retract without it being level you run a higher risk of your slides getting out of sync or sticking. The is especially true of the big kitchens side slides. Better safe then sorry.
DavidSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 04:05 PM   #27

I have the 2016 Pinnacle with 5 slides. I always level first and then put out the slides. I put the two slides on the door side out first and then the three slides on the off door side. I do this to compensate for the heavy kitchen slide. I usually check the auto level the next morning for any settling and adjust if needed. I used to have a TT with an 8’ slide in the middle on the off door side. I always had to re-snug the scissor jacks on the opposite side after putting out the slide.
ETCrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 04:12 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETCrockett View Post
I have the 2016 Pinnacle with 5 slides. I always level first and then put out the slides. I put the two slides on the door side out first and then the three slides on the off door side. I do this to compensate for the heavy kitchen slide. I usually check the auto level the next morning for any settling and adjust if needed. I used to have a TT with an 8’ slide in the middle on the off door side. I always had to re-snug the scissor jacks on the opposite side after putting out the slide.
Ok, so this will be my first time hitching up after leveling out. I've read the manual and seen the videos, but I just want to make sure I have this right. To start retracting the jacks to hitch up. I have to retract the rear jacks first then the side jacks? Then raise the landing gear by hitting hitch level? And do I do all this on the monitor inside the trailer? Because I can't retract individual jacks outside on the panel. I can on my phone and inside on the monitor. Just checking on the procedure.
rkymntsno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 07:39 PM   #29

Or just push auto hitch button. It will retract the rear jacks and bring the front to the correct height for hitching up.
RipinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 01:37 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipinSC View Post
Or just push auto hitch button. It will retract the rear jacks and bring the front to the correct height for hitching up.
Thanks, that's exactly what I did. I realized that's all I needed to do right after posting the last post, lol. And it worked fine. What I forgot to do? Was raise the landing gear manually after I hit retract all. Thank God I didn't hit any low points on the highway! It evidently was high enough off the ground, lol. I gotta get started on these damn checklists!
rkymntsno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 08:39 AM   #31

Yes, Always level before putting out your slides and pull in slides before lifting level jacks. While dealers may display a RV with leveling jacks up and slides out, just remember that once you buy it, it is your problem.
bgelyhome is offline   Reply With Quote