Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-15-2019, 07:32 AM   #1

Level before slides out?

I've got more questions. Spending way too much damn time on this forum than I should be. But I appreciate all the experienced responses. Here goes...

1. In storage, do you store your fifth wheel level with leveling jacks or just landing gear down? If just the landing gear down, do still lower the front?

2. If just the landing gear is down, is it ok to open the slides with all the legs down?

This is our first fifth wheel. Our 34' TT Open Range, not sure if I ever got that damn thing level. Thanks in advance.
rkymntsno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 07:53 AM   #2

1. RV Dealer store on their lot.... Look to see how their doing it.

2. If all your legs are down, aren't you level.

Normally, level before putting slides out. I have on more than one occasion, while staying connected, lift the front to take the load off the truck and stabilizing the 5r and then extending the slides.

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 07:54 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

On the subject of "Level before slides out ?"........, the following JOF thread may be helpful:

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...t-65970-2.html

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:03 AM   #4

I allways level before putting out slides. On rv dealers lot they look just so so level with just front jacks down.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 04:28 PM   #5

If you are going to open your slides, the FW needs to be leveled out. If you are just parking the FW in storage, you just use the front landing gear to raise the FW off the hitch. No need to have it level.
RipinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 07:18 PM   #6

I was having issues all last year with my slide binding up.

I was always told to level first then slide out.

Talking with dealer when I had it there and he said do not level until after you put all the slides out. After him explaining the reason, it made sense.

If you level first the excess weight created when the slides go out will put torque on the frame.

If you put them out first, the trailer is not getting resistance as they are going out. Then when you level, it is leveling the trailer with the weight where it is.

He showed me by leveling then putting the slides out...then hitting autolevel again and it had to adjust. He did it the other way and it didn’t need to level.

Also the slide didn’t bind for the first time in a year.

LOL
Old 04-15-2019, 07:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rckcrwlr View Post

Talking with dealer when I had it there and he said do not level until after you put all the slides out. After him explaining the reason, it made sense.

If you level first the excess weight created when the slides go out will put torque on the frame.

If you put them out first, the trailer is not getting resistance as they are going out. Then when you level, it is leveling the trailer with the weight where it is.

He showed me by leveling then putting the slides out...then hitting autolevel again and it had to adjust. He did it the other way and it didn’t need to level.

LOL
I would think just the opposite and it may be different for units with auto levers and multiple slides. I would think the slides are designed to be actuated when the unit is level. Units without auto levelers have to be leveled by putting them on leveling blocks. That has to be done with the slides in. In all the years I've been leveling first and putting the slide out there has never been a disruption to the level when the slide comes out. I would doubt the weight of the slide is going to counter the weight of the whole trailer in any appreciable way (maybe multiple slides would especially if they had heavy appliances).

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 07:42 PM   #8

Quote:

LOL
I was sold on the leveling then slides out from this thread and other videos and comments I saw. Until this last entry. And it makes so much sense to me to put the slides out, then auto level. It just makes me want call Jayco and talk to the service manager at my dealership tomorrow and see if the recommendations match. Granted, mine's brand new and it has a two year warranty, but if something happens I don't want to be without it for the summer waiting on parts. But that's why I ask. Some people on this forum have probably done it both ways for many years, and it works for them with no problem. I've just got to see what's gonna work for me. Thanks for the input.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:10 PM   #9

Read your Jayco manual. It tells you to level first. Just the opposite occurs without leveling. You can have a twist in the frame from not being level that will put a bind on your slides.
RipinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 02:26 AM   #10

I have a great dealer, he says the most important thing with the slide is
to hold down the switch either in or out until you hear the motor stop
running and not making any noise. He also says go in or out all the way don't stop. He says that stops the problem people are having with the slides that
have the ratchet type slides on the side of the slides.
I say level first because if one jack comes down first it will twist the frame on
the rv. If the slide is out it will then twist the slide.
The important thing is if you level first & then put out the slide, be sure you pull in the slide before you lower the jacks. O' and don't forget those throw rugs or any object on the floor. I had a small sharp rock put a gouge in my floor.
putz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 03:31 AM   #11

Level first.

Store level. You may want to open a slide while stored.
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:26 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipinSC View Post
Read your Jayco manual. It tells you to level first. Just the opposite occurs without leveling. You can have a twist in the frame from not being level that will put a bind on your slides.
Thanks everyone. Thanks RipinSC, you are correct. The Jayco manual states level with Ground Control prior to opening slides. I realized I hadn't ready the actual manual all the way through. We had so much material to go through I neglected the manual. Which is odd. I'm usually the anal retentive guy who reads everything as soon as he gets home with a new toy. Missed it this time.

But is it safe to assume, if I store it with just the landing gear down low enough to be close to level without all legs down, I can still open a slide or two? Because the manual also states don't level with Ground Control without being plugged into shore power.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:53 AM   #13

That is why I have always done it that way. My 355MBQS will not allow the slide out if leveled.

Guess it’s the mystery that will never be solved.

LOL
Old 04-16-2019, 12:38 PM   #14

Quote:
That is why I have always done it that way. My 355MBQS will not allow the slide out if leveled.

Guess it’s the mystery that will never be solved.

LOL
Did you mean to say "My 355MBQS will not allow the slide out if [NOT] leveled."

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 03:28 PM   #15

So I took the trailer by the dealership today and spoke with service as I took it to get a good weight with both vehicles. They confirmed to level completely first then let the slides out, as it says in the owners manual. Just passing on what my dealer is telling me to do. And as long as it works for me, that's what I'll do cuz if it screws something up, I should have Jayco and my service department behind me.
Old 04-16-2019, 03:38 PM   #16

I am wondering if there is any confusion on LEVELING versus putting the jack stands down.
Me, I will make my trailer level, put the slide out then put down the scissor jacks/Jack Stands. The jack stands can and do twist the frame a little sometimes.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 04:30 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAurand View Post
I am wondering if there is any confusion on LEVELING versus putting the jack stands down.
Me, I will make my trailer level, put the slide out then put down the scissor jacks/Jack Stands. The jack stands can and do twist the frame a little sometimes.
There shouldn't be. I said early on it's the Ground Control 3.0 leveling system, with a six point electric leveling system.
Old 04-17-2019, 04:44 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2edgesword View Post
Did you mean to say "My 355MBQS will not allow the slide out if [NOT] leveled."

No. My Kitchen Slide would jam if I level (stabilizers Down). If I do it prior, it runs smooth as silk.
Old 04-17-2019, 06:34 PM   #19

Manual says to level first and then let out slides. We just bought a 19 317RLOK and during the PDI they did not have the rear levelers down and it didn't seem very level. I noticed the dining/entertainment slide struggled to retract and extend. Having it level at home and camping there are no issues with any of the slides. This is our 3rd and have always leveled and stabilized 1st then out with the slides. Minor adjustments if needed. Hope this helps!
tee-bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 12:50 PM   #20

My manual says to level first, then slides out, reverse to go. I have never had a slide bind. I do use power lube on the gear followers behind the outside gasket once a year, and they run quiet and smooth. You have to bend the application tube into a 'U' shape with a blow dryer to hit the correct spot on the follower guide or you waste the lube. There is a YouTube video on the process. (of course) Also depends on the make of slide.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote