Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-19-2022, 04:19 PM   #1

Level enough?

New to a fifth wheel. Does this look level enough? I have a Reese 18K slider. I have heard that the Mor Ryde suspension is adjustable, and that it can go up an inch.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7522.jpg  
Old 04-19-2022, 04:46 PM   #2

Of course level is always best, however it's better to be a little nose high than nose low.
Something else you might want to take a look at is your bed rail clearance. From the pic it looks like you could use a little more. Originally I had like 5 1/4" between my truck and trailer and my trailer rode really level. Unfortunately I had WAY too many close calls and increased my.clesrance to 6". My trailer still rides pretty level, but when OCD comes into play the level shows it's just a smidge nose high.
My trailer had a safety recall for the suspension that needed to be replaced which leveled it back out, BUT that increased my overall height to the max of 13' 6".
Old 04-19-2022, 05:00 PM   #3

Level looks good enough to me.

As mentioned by @Lake Huron, check the vertical clearance between truck bed and RV body, from the pic it does look close. I also needed 6", yet still had contact with the bed on some extreme angles in my somewhat off road driveway. Corner of RV got caught on bed rail plastic protector and ripped it up.

Clearance to rear cab window looks plenty good.

Also keep an eye on the trailer electric connection. Little different from TT; make sure it doesnt get hung up on things nor drag the ground.
dxrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 05:01 PM   #4

Thanks for the advice on the bed rail distance. I didn't read about that till after I had brought the trailer home and unhooked it. I don't think it is as close as it looks in the pic. When we get some nice weather I'll hook up again and measure. May I ask how you were able to increase the spacing to 6"? The guy who I bought the Reese hitch from said it was at the highest adjustment point. I didn't even know they were adjustable.
Old 04-19-2022, 05:07 PM   #5

The pin on the 5th wheel RV is adjustable up/down. Just be careful of any attached wiring if you decide to adjust.
Old 04-19-2022, 05:07 PM   #6

Thanks for this confirmation on the distance from the cab to the trailer. I did get a slider hitch but on the one occasion where I needed to back up into a tight spot I couldn't get it to operate (User error LOL). It turned out OK... I got close but still had a little room.

K so now you have me worried that 6" of bed rail clearance wasn't enough.

Thanks also for the wiring tip. I do have a plug wired in the box but it didn't work... probably dirty as I came from a bumper pull and never use the wiring in the box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxrobertson View Post
Level looks good enough to me.

As mentioned by @Lake Huron, check the vertical clearance between truck bed and RV body, from the pic it does look close. I also needed 6", yet still had contact with the bed on some extreme angles in my somewhat off road driveway. Corner of RV got caught on bed rail plastic protector and ripped it up.

Clearance to rear cab window looks plenty good.

Also keep an eye on the trailer electric connection. Little different from TT; make sure it doesnt get hung up on things nor drag the ground.
Old 04-19-2022, 05:10 PM   #7

Thanks I will have to look that up and figure out how to adjust the pin.
Quote:
The pin on the 5th wheel RV is adjustable up/down. Just be careful of any attached wiring if you decide to adjust.
Old 04-19-2022, 05:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go-red-car View Post
New to a fifth wheel. Does this look level enough? I have a Reese 18K slider. I have heard that the Mor Ryde suspension is adjustable, and that it can go up an inch.
Seems pretty good. Mine is similar. 7" clearance. I'm on a slight incline parked here.
Attached Thumbnails
28.5 rsts.jpg  

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Yooper906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 05:29 PM   #9

You may or may not need 6", more than, or less than; its just what I needed in my particular situation. Hopefully others will respond with their measurement.

Thinking about the sliding 5TH wheel, and its purpose. From my trucking days, the sliding 5TH wheel was to adjust the weight between the tractor tandems and steering axle. It was a weight thing. Never owned a slider on and RV, just curious as to its purpose here.
Old 04-19-2022, 05:40 PM   #10

Quote:
You may or may not need 6", more than, or less than; its just what I needed in my particular situation. Hopefully others will respond with their measurement.

Thinking about the sliding 5TH wheel, and its purpose. From my trucking days, the sliding 5TH wheel was to adjust the weight between the tractor tandems and steering axle. It was a weight thing. Never owned a slider on and RV, just curious as to its purpose here.
Probably an advantage on some shortbed pickups to avoid contact with the back of the cab and front of trailer on a sharp turn.

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Yooper906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 05:40 PM   #11

Presently the pin with the slider forward places the weight directly over the axel. The trailer shop told me that with a short box truck I would need a slider to move the pin back in the box for tight turns. It moves back 10-12" and apparently saves you from the embarrassing impact of the truck cab to trailer impact.
Quote:

Old 04-19-2022, 08:14 PM   #12

Our previous fifth wheel had MorRyde IS and it could have been raised an inch but after looking at it and learning how it was done I decided to just live with a little nose high. It can be done but I'm not sure I would trust anyone other than MorRyde to do it.
F350guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 05:31 PM   #13

Quote:

Certain short bed trucks need a slider hitch depending on the front nose profile of the camper. I have a auto slider hitch that will automatically slide back up to 14 inches as I turn. Take the overall width of the camper and divide by 2. Measure the distance between the kingpin location on the hitch and the cab of the truck. If the distance is less than the half the width, you need a slider.
Frosty42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 07:56 AM   #14

Just be careful with a slider. It adds more height to the nose just because of the way it is made. I had to remove mine to get the nose height down to a more acceptable height for the trailer. As long as you are not against the stops on the suspension you are probably ok.
Curly
Curly2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 08:17 AM   #15

Thanks for this advice Curly!
Go-red-car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 11:07 AM   #16

Bed Rails - our service tech said to fist up and stack. If you have at least that much clearance you should be good to go. Now with that being said, some very tight turns (we probably should never had been on that particular curvy road) it came very close to the bed rail.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 06:04 PM   #17

Marine 71… help me with fist up and stack. Is that a fist on top of a flat hand? I’ve been told that 4-6” clearance is required. I haven’t been hooked up for a while but seem to think that I did have 6” even though it doesn’t look it in the pic.
Old 04-28-2022, 06:15 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go-red-car View Post
Marine 71… help me with fist up and stack. Is that a fist on top of a flat hand? I’ve been told that 4-6” clearance is required. I haven’t been hooked up for a while but seem to think that I did have 6” even though it doesn’t look it in the pic.
Both hands in fist and stack on top of each other - like this:

https://www.shutterstock.com/image-p...und-1075232297
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 09:23 AM   #19

Thanks, so that is at least 6”
Old 04-29-2022, 11:20 AM   #20

My clearance is every bit of 9-10" at the bed rails. And I'm at the bottom holes on my hitch. I can't get it any lower.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote