Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-30-2015, 10:39 AM   #11

Our regular site slopes so I just put the trailer where I wanted it, measured the slope and made a wooden ramp to match the amount then move the trailer so I can back it up on that ramp.

ragnar33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 11:00 AM   #12

I not sure I understand all of this. If a leveling system can't level the rig, what good is it? Also, I'd you have to have a site that is within a couple inches of level, why get a leveling system?

I can understand if a site is so unlevel that you run out of stroke length, but unloading the weight off the suspension versus lifting really isn't much difference.

Guess I have some reading to do in the manuals to try to figure this out.

I'm getting ready to order a unit with the leveling system and want to understand what the book says. If it says what people are saying here, then you wouldn't be able to pay me enough to get it.

Cdash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 12:13 PM   #13

Leveling

Couple things.

1. If you put your trailer where you want it, then turn the leveling system on it will tell you which side is unlevel with the light by that arrow. Same with front to back. No need for a level to see that.

2. If it's obviously off really far one side to the other I will generally put some 1x6 boards down. (I carry 3)

3. Nothing wrong with the the trailer wheels off the ground. Each jack is rated for 5,000#'s. Almost twice the capacity needed to lift my entire NorthPoint. I wouldn't do it just to do it, and if I was staying anywhere for longer than a month I would probably put more boards down. However nothing unsafe about it.
Hoojs12840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 02:34 PM   #14

I had a trailer spin out on me when i had it on blocks. I now carry a shovel and if at all possible I dig out the high side to level it and use wheel chocks on both sides.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 03:26 PM   #15

OK, here is what I have learned.

If the Ground Control leveling system has been zero'd or, calibrated, then the unit placed on an uneven site side to side, it may lift the tires on one side off the ground. However, the system is designed to lift up to 3.5 degrees and then might shut down. If that happens, the unit may need to be placed on a more level spot.

I do carry 3 1"6"4' decking boards in case I need to put those under the low side wheels. Getting it close from side to side is the key.

So, perhaps I do need to eat a little crow. I'll take it Bar-B-Q'd with Sweet Baby Rays, please.
dalengail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 06:46 PM   #16

Thanks for all of the input and the research on this subject.
Gutshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 08:15 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalengail View Post

So, perhaps I do need to eat a little crow. I'll take it Bar-B-Q'd with Sweet Baby Rays, please.
I still wouldn't eat crow with those parameters

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote