Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-29-2015, 06:05 PM   #1

Leveling

Quick question, We recently camped at a site that was not level,it had a decline of about nine inches from one side compared to the other side, question is the decline had my passenger side tires totally off the ground is this okay? Should I put pads or something under the tires for support?
Gutshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 07:21 PM   #2

Personally, I would not had put my trailer on any pad that is uneven more than 3 inches. I would requested a different spot that was a bit more leveled. It's dangerous IMHO to have wheels off the ground, period. If you have the auto leveling jacks, they are for leveling only and should not be used as trailer jacks. But, I could be wrong and others might have different thoughts. I'm always try to be more cautious.
Queen Creek, Arizona
tularockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 07:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tularockstar View Post
personally, i would not had put my trailer on any pad that is uneven more than 3 inches. I would requested a different spot that was a bit more leveled. It's dangerous imho to have wheels off the ground, period. If you have the auto leveling jacks, they are for leveling only and should not be used as trailer jacks. But, i could be wrong and others might have different thoughts. I'm always try to be more cautious.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 08:27 PM   #4
Site Team

Was every inch of that site uneven or just where you decided you park? I'm just asking because I've had the perfect place to park but it was uneven but the site had other places to position my camper that were even but my door might not have been in the ideal location.

I agree with the 2 posts above. I would never do that. Ever.

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 04:47 AM   #5

Guys, it is my understanding that the six point leveling system is designed to do exactly what the OP experienced. And, it does it without any undue stress to the frame. That is, if the leveling system was properly calibrated prior to this experience.

If you are ever using the leveling system and the site has some uneveness, you may hear 2 or more jack motors running at the same time.

Our prior SOB had the hydraulic system on it. It would lift both tires on occasion on one side off the ground if it had to in order to get the unit level from one side to the other.

At our seasonal site that we lease, when I set up and level, due to the slope at rear off door side, I will hear both jack motors at the axles run at the same time. That is because they are lifting that side and rear corner to level the unit. The tires do not come completely off but, they are barely touching the planks they are on.
dalengail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 07:30 AM   #6

I hope it wasn't the entry side that needed to be lifted that much; it'd make that first step "UP" lead to "down on the ground".

I wouldn't consider that park pad acceptable - if no other reasonable level ones (plus/minus 3") were available I'd get a refund and go elsewhere.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:31 AM   #7

Not sure what unit the OP has. If it is a MH with auto-leveling, there should not be a problem with the tires being off the ground. But if it is a travel trailer, the stabilizer jacks are not to be used as leveling jacks. They are not designed to take that kind of weight for prolonged periods - especially with people moving around inside.

I carry 1X6 and 2X6 boards to place under the low side tires, then run the stabilizers down. That said, nine inches is unacceptable. I would ask for a different site - no matter what unit I had.

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 08:31 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalengail View Post
Guys, it is my understanding that the six point leveling system is designed to do exactly what the OP experienced. And, it does it without any undue stress to the frame. That is, if the leveling system was properly calibrated prior to this experience.

If you are ever using the leveling system and the site has some uneveness, you may hear 2 or more jack motors running at the same time.

Our prior SOB had the hydraulic system on it. It would lift both tires on occasion on one side off the ground if it had to in order to get the unit level from one side to the other.

At our seasonal site that we lease, when I set up and level, due to the slope at rear off door side, I will hear both jack motors at the axles run at the same time. That is because they are lifting that side and rear corner to level the unit. The tires do not come completely off but, they are barely touching the planks they are on.
I don't understand, if only the 2 axel jacks run together on the same side to level side to side, how isn't the frame twisting?
Wouldn't all 3 need to lift at the same time?
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 09:39 AM   #9

I have the Ground Control 3.0 system (electric).... It gets the trailer leveled with the four corner jacks first, then the center jacks are lowered last to stabilize... my routine is to level side-to-side with curved ramps under the low side tires before unhooking (have a large bubble level mounted on the pin box)... un-hook and manually rough level front to rear using front jacks... put pads under center and rear jacks to minimize stroke and let the auto level do it's thing... If I don't get trailer fairly level at first, the auto system will sometimes fail.
Old 11-30-2015, 10:21 AM   #10

klassic,

Yes. All 3 motors on one side will run to extend the jacks to lift the side to match the other side.

Again, it is my understanding that as long as the unit has been manually leveled and the system calibrated to "teach" the "electronic bubble" what orientation the unit is in, the jacks will seek to orientate the unit. That is why a 2 or, 3 foot carpenters level comes in handy when it needs to be checked and calibrated.

I am more familiar with Lippert's 6 point hydraulic system. I am in the process of checking with some of my old "coherts" at Lippert to take me to school on these electric Ground Control systems. If I am wrong in my understanding how this is to operate, I will eat crow!!
Old 11-30-2015, 10:39 AM   #11

Our regular site slopes so I just put the trailer where I wanted it, measured the slope and made a wooden ramp to match the amount then move the trailer so I can back it up on that ramp.
ragnar33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 11:00 AM   #12

I not sure I understand all of this. If a leveling system can't level the rig, what good is it? Also, I'd you have to have a site that is within a couple inches of level, why get a leveling system?

I can understand if a site is so unlevel that you run out of stroke length, but unloading the weight off the suspension versus lifting really isn't much difference.

Guess I have some reading to do in the manuals to try to figure this out.

I'm getting ready to order a unit with the leveling system and want to understand what the book says. If it says what people are saying here, then you wouldn't be able to pay me enough to get it.
Cdash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 12:13 PM   #13

Leveling

Couple things.

1. If you put your trailer where you want it, then turn the leveling system on it will tell you which side is unlevel with the light by that arrow. Same with front to back. No need for a level to see that.

2. If it's obviously off really far one side to the other I will generally put some 1x6 boards down. (I carry 3)

3. Nothing wrong with the the trailer wheels off the ground. Each jack is rated for 5,000#'s. Almost twice the capacity needed to lift my entire NorthPoint. I wouldn't do it just to do it, and if I was staying anywhere for longer than a month I would probably put more boards down. However nothing unsafe about it.
Hoojs12840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 02:34 PM   #14

I had a trailer spin out on me when i had it on blocks. I now carry a shovel and if at all possible I dig out the high side to level it and use wheel chocks on both sides.

Traded: 2018 RAM 3500 DRW, 4X4, 4.10, 6.4 Hemi, Curt A20 hitch, Tire Minder

2018 North Point 315rlts with most of the options.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 03:26 PM   #15

OK, here is what I have learned.

If the Ground Control leveling system has been zero'd or, calibrated, then the unit placed on an uneven site side to side, it may lift the tires on one side off the ground. However, the system is designed to lift up to 3.5 degrees and then might shut down. If that happens, the unit may need to be placed on a more level spot.

I do carry 3 1"×6"×4' decking boards in case I need to put those under the low side wheels. Getting it close from side to side is the key.

So, perhaps I do need to eat a little crow. I'll take it Bar-B-Q'd with Sweet Baby Rays, please.
Old 11-30-2015, 06:46 PM   #16

Thanks for all of the input and the research on this subject.
Gutshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 08:15 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalengail View Post

So, perhaps I do need to eat a little crow. I'll take it Bar-B-Q'd with Sweet Baby Rays, please.
I still wouldn't eat crow with those parameters

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote