Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-28-2019, 06:23 AM   #1

Leveling out Jayco Eagle

I have a 2017 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS pulling with a chevy 2500 short box with. B & W companion slider. It sits nose high. I have several adjustments on my hitch as of now it’s on the highest placement. This was my first fifth wheel so I figured high placement more room from bottom of camper to bed rails. It’s hit a few times leaving deep scratches. I was trying to avoid a day of trying every hitch placement. Anyone have any input on how to better level it out a bit better. Or a cost effective way of doing so? If I had to guess I’m 6”-9” nose high. Thank you all
VaCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 07:10 AM   #2

If you are 6 to 9 inches nose high is that clearance from your bed side rails? I can't imagine hitting the bed if you have that much clearance. Where are you hitting?

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 08:42 AM   #3

In total 6-9 inches off level. I would guess I would have to lower the nose or raise rear that amount to level it out. I have 5-6 inches from top of tailgate to bottom of trailer. I’ve hit several times pulling out or backing in on my incline drive. I have a cover that has a rail approximately 1” high. That small ridge is what is causing the deep scratches if that wasn’t there I’m sure I would have larger dents. Thank you for a fast response. I’m not new to this as it’s been two years but new to starting to figure out ways to make it better and easier
Old 03-28-2019, 08:43 AM   #4

Mine rode high and I ended up raising the pinbox up one bolt hole. Not only did it drop the nose of the FW, it improved the clearance to the side rails of the pickup bed. I'm good now otherwise I was going to look into spacers to raise the rear suspension on the FW.
1carguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 08:55 AM   #5

That is very helpful should I adjust my hitch to a lower setting? In my mind by lowering that it would just cause it to hit more. I greatly appreciate your feedback. We haven’t had a dry weekend in months so I have s lot to do this weekend
Old 03-29-2019, 02:48 PM   #6

I had the same problem with my 28.5 and F350. I lowered into the lowest hole on the trailer suspension raising the trailer 1-1/2". I added a Lippert raising kit and got another 2". Next move I will make is when the 15" tires are worn out I will be putting 16" tires on which will give me another inch. I have 6" clearance on my bed now but the tailgate is only like 5-1/4 due to the swail they put into the design of the tailgate. I am almost level at this point.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 04:30 PM   #7

Do you know if the axles have been flipped? That can raise the rear of 5er. I had the shop raise mine another hole on the suspension which gave me 2 1/4" more rear lift and I'm level.
Currently have about 6" clearance above tailgate and only had it kiss the overhang once, but I'm aware and watch out for that.

2020 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak Titanium
2013 Eagle 29.5RKS (traded in)
2013 Ford 6.7L diesel F350
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 06:45 PM   #8

Lippert Correct Track will give you 2", 16" tires will ad another2", see if your spring hangers have another hole below the one they are in.
If not enough, then look in to getting a sub frame built to lower the hanger locations.
I would not go below 6" to 8" bed clearance.