Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-20-2020, 06:47 PM   #1

Leveling question

For those of you who have automatic leveling on your rigs, when you “feel“ like your rig is unlevel, even after using the auto level system, where is the best place to put a leveler to see the true level of the rig? The floor? The kitchen counter? I am getting different results from different places. And I just want to know where most of you guys check your leveling. When I put it on the floor it is very much more level than the kitchen counter. So I’m thinking the floor is the better option. Thanks in advance for your responses.
TwoCampingDudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 07:02 PM   #2

I was at the dealer today, they were working on the leveling system of my new (yet to take home) 377RLBH. They took the level on the floor just in front of the kitchen island.
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 07:08 PM   #3

Leveling question

I just recalibrated my auto level system and my floor in front of the island and the island countertop were reading the same. So I used the countertop while adjusting my jacks and double checked the floor once I was happy. Now the system levels almost perfectly [emoji16]
Dealerproofed by Powerstroke Specialties
Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Airbags | Blue Ox Super Ride hitch
SB_James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 07:13 PM   #4

Maybe we need to recalibrate. We did get some sort of slope alarm but everything is measuring pretty much level.
-where do I find recalibration instructions?
Old 06-20-2020, 07:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCampingDudes View Post
Maybe we need to recalibrate. We did get some sort of slope alarm but everything is measuring pretty much level.

It depends on your systems. I have the BMPro Control panel so my recalibrate function is in the system settings menu. It’s not very user friendly though. No feedback to say the new zero point was saved or stored. I just checked level manually for the first few times to verify it was working. Before I recalibrated the rig would always be nose high by a few degrees.
Old 06-20-2020, 07:35 PM   #6

We have BMPro as well. Tonight we are camping in Oklahoma and tomorrow we had to our final destination for the week in Mississippi. While we are on the road tomorrow I will poke around on the Internet and see what kind of information I can find. Thanks so much for your help.
Old 06-20-2020, 07:54 PM   #7

Floor for sure

2012 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie DRW - High Output 6.7L Cummins, Max Tow, FireStone Airbags, 60 Gallon Titan XXL fuel tank, Fully Deleted
2017 Jayco North Point 377rlbh with Kaut NV 2.0 bike rack
jasonmiddlebrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 05:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCampingDudes View Post
Do you have the Equalizer Syatems that Jayco has switched to or the old style LCI ?
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 05:58 AM   #9

That’s a great question. Can I tell by looking which it is?
Old 06-21-2020, 06:12 AM   #10

You probably have the equalizer hydraulic leveling with the 2020 and BMPro unit. The LCI has electric jacks. To verify you should see the hydraulic pump in the front compartment as well as hydraulic lines to each jack.
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 07:08 AM   #11

We have Equilizer Systems. I just checked
Old 06-21-2020, 08:06 AM   #12

I’ll start by saying we don’t have an auto level system in our 5th, it’s an old-school ‘13 model.
But . . .
I believe our frames are designed to flex a bit and “level” is a relative term. I “level” using a bubble level just inside the door. First side to side then front to rear.
In practice I can get things pretty close and life is good.
I notice from time to time that I introduce a slight twist to the frame that shows up as a difficulty in closing either the main door, bedroom door or the bathroom door.
While the place where I place the level may be “perfect” the nose or tail may be slightly off and introduce the slight twist. When doing the side-side level the 5th is supported in a triangle fashion (hitch and the tires), so level means getting the tires level using LEGO blocks which means +- an inch or so. Unhitched the landing gear take over. Now the 5th is supported in 4 places and the twist is introduced. My adjustment there is limited to +- an inch or so again. The rear stabilizers have a “leveling” feature that attempts to prevent more twist and does a reasonable job.

I’m curious is you folks with auto-level notice any door binding or is the leveler smart enough to level the unit and keep the twist out.

I owned a 1928 Ford for about 20 years and learned their frames are riveted to allow it to flex and I read that a damaged frame repaired by welding was prone to failure because the weld couldn’t flex.

Forgive my rambling post, it’s a beautiful Sunday morning and I’m wishing I was camping.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 01:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
I’ll start by saying we don’t have an auto level system in our 5th, it’s an old-school ‘13 model.
I’m curious is you folks with auto-level notice any door binding or is the leveler smart enough to level the unit and keep the twist out.
I’ll say in my short time owning the rig it does seem to keep the frame from twisting bad enough to notice. At the end of the leveling cycle each jack makes very small adjustments. I think that’s when it is eliminating any twist.
Old 06-26-2020, 04:12 PM   #14

I use the kitchen island for convenience because I have already used a 4' carpenter's level to carefully check to see that is is on the same plane, in both axes, as the floor. Now I keep a 12" bullet level in the kitchen gadget drawer and slap it on the counter when needed.

That said, at the current site, we noticed the bedroom door swinging shut by itself, and when I put the level on the hallway floor at the top of the stairs (towards BR), it was off laterally by half a bubble. Frame Twist?.
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 10:02 AM   #15

I usually take the level measurement on the floor just inside the door. However, recently, I have started also checking the level of the stove. I don't like my grease or eggs to always run to one side of the skillet. It doesn't take much for things to pool on a skillet out of level. The minor adjustment for the stove is not going to change the overall RV's level comfort.

RVing all my life......1st Jayco
ETCrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 11:12 AM   #16

I boondock mostly and often are in areas that suck at being level (Glamis sand dunes). I added 2 stick-on bubble levels in the front of my class C. One is above the passenger door and the other is above the rear view mirror.

I installed these levels after I leveled my rig at home using the circle bubble level on the floor. When I pull into an area to camp I can stop in different spots and glance at my levels and then pick the location that is best. That way my auto levelers won't have to do extreme leveling. Seems to work pretty well.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 04:22 PM   #17

Just went through this with my new unit which has the hydraulic auto levelling system. I had to recalibrate the auto levelling unit.

To do this I first manually levelled the trailer with a 4’ level on the floor as centre in the trailer as possible. In my case, this was the kitchen in front of the island.

Once level, head out to the keypad outside. With the auto level system turned off, press and hold the auto-level button while you push and let go of the power button. You will hear a bunch of beeping, then let go of the auto level button and your new level will be programmed. You shouldn’t have to ever do it again. They call it “Resetting the null”.

Here’s a link to a video of the above.

https://youtu.be/EOwOyAKhX5U
Familyfireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 12:24 PM   #18

Has anyone had issues with the BM Pro and Equalizer losing Autolevel functionality? Equalizer had me unplug BM pro to reset system and stated to leave it unplugged. They get alot of calls concerning the units resetting.
h3is3m2n is offline   Reply With Quote