Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-10-2017, 01:29 PM   #1

Leveling questions

Alright, I've searched and can't seem to find what I'm looking for exactly. We've been set up for a week, not leaving this site til November 15th. My problem is that the camper is level in the back side to side but not level up front side to side. My question is, can I use my front landing gear to adjust the front side to side. By either adding an inch or so block to the low side or by raising one landing leg a couple notches then lowering them back down until the higher one is supporting weight. Is this safe to do?? Thanks in advance
CodyWayne1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 01:55 PM   #2

Not Likely

Cody, tough to answer without knowing what kind of RV you are in and what equipment the rig has. But generally speaking, the answer would be no. The landing gear on most rigs is for stabilizing only and is not meant to bear weight.

I am intrigued as to how it is you are level left to right at one end but not the other. Are you duel axel? Maybe one set of tires needs a little more of a raise to level that end.

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 02:00 PM   #3

Yes it is a tandem axle. It's a 2018 Jayco eagle HT. Also, I was talking about the front landing gear that holds the camper not the rear stabilizers. Sorry for that confusion.
Old 10-10-2017, 02:39 PM   #4

CodyWayne1826, do you have the LCI 3.0 control system on your HT? If so, you could use the manual control to independently change each leveling leg.
2019 Silverado 3500HD - Duramax - SRW - 4WD - CC - LTZ - 8' Bed
Reese M5 20K
triplebvalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 02:40 PM   #5

Sorry not a 5th wheel guy

I know Travel Trailers and Motorhomes. Fifth's are foriegn to me so others might have better answers. But in a TT I would think adding an inch under the the front axel on the low side might assist in solving your issue, can't imagine that wouldn't work in the fifth as well. And then adjust the landing gear accordingly.

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 06:42 PM   #6

The answer is yes you can....but....be careful or you can torque the frame.

Best is to check level side to side and adjust by putting something under the wheels BEFORE disconnecting. Then lower the jacks. Use holes on the jacks so both sides raise the trailer at the same time.

So, at this point the trailer should be level at the front and in the middle.

Check the rear and see if it is level. If it is not then you have to determine what you want to do. A dealer visit may be appropriate or not depending on how much and why it is like this.

If it isn't much I'd just do the following. Get some screw jacks and put them under the back of the trailer under the main frame rails. Adjust until the rear of the unit is same as the middle and front. Then lower the rear stabilizers.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 07:01 PM   #7

Yes, you can absolutely adjust the landing gear to account for unlevel ground, I do it all the time in my Eagle HT. The landing gear is built to hold the entire pin weight and then some- when adding blocking you aren't increasing the load at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS -- 2011 F350 CCSB 4x4 PSD
repacs0103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 07:03 PM   #8

Not sure if it's the lci 3.0 or not triplebvalp.

vcbice, I did level side to side before unhooking. I laid 2x6s under my front jacks and didn't pay much attention to how far I dropped them before electrically raising it up to unhook but now that I've been looking at it, one leg is down about 10 notches and the other is about 13. Granted it was level when we set up thou. This is what led me to ask about using the front jacks to level the front. My stuck on level up front is showing about an inch off but when I lay my carpenter level on the rear bumper, living room floor, counter tops, it's almost level, head up to the front to the bedroom and it's off.
Old 10-10-2017, 07:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by repacs0103 View Post
Yes, you can absolutely adjust the landing gear to account for unlevel ground, I do it all the time in my Eagle HT. The landing gear is built to hold the entire pin weight and then some- when adding blocking you aren't increasing the load at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well my thinking is that if I block one side more than the other, when I go to lower the jacks from the switch, one will make contact before the other. Like mentioned before, I don't want to put anything in too much of a bind. I hope all this makes sense
Old 10-10-2017, 09:49 PM   #10

Leveling questions

I normally don’t use the blocks under my tires to level the rig. Most of the sites we’ve stayed in were fairly level.

Before I drop any of the jacks, I pull out the level and see what’s going on. If one side is lower than the other, I drop that jack first and get level and then drop the other jack. No problems so far.

If it’s way out of level, then I’ll break out the tire blocks to take up the worst of it and finish with the jacks.

I should mention that I always put blocks under the jacks and stabilizers.
Fr8Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:50 PM   #11

To the OP. Did one of your jacks/ stabilizers settle into the ground?
Fr8Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:52 PM   #12

Our auto-level works great.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 11:21 PM   #13

It honestly doesn't look like it lol I'll get it straightened out in the morning. I just wasn't sure if I could off set my front jacks a little since its level in the rear.
Old 10-11-2017, 03:38 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyWayne1826 View Post
Yes it is a tandem axle. It's a 2018 Jayco eagle HT. Also, I was talking about the front landing gear that holds the camper not the rear stabilizers. Sorry for that confusion.
The easiest way to level is, back in to the site. BEFORE doing anything, place your 4' level side to side on floor of trailer. IF it is NOT showing level, you need to put wood under the low side tires until it is as close to level as possible.
Then hit AUTOLEVEL and it should level trailer almost perfectly.

You don't need to try to level the bumper...........
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 06:04 AM   #15

If the front jacks only operate together then you can't fix without the truck and fussing with changing the leg lengths. If you run run them separate Judy raise that side

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 09:42 PM   #16

Well my biggest concern with all this was the fridge. After some messing around with a small level I had in one of my tool boxes, I don't think it's worth worrying about. I'll see if I can upload these pictures right from my phone. I've got 3 different ones. One being the right side of stove, one on left side of stove and one being in bottom of fridge. Note, in that order it is moving from front to back on driver side of camper on the big slide.Those are side to side measurements.
Attached Thumbnails
20171011_233205.jpg   20171011_233214.jpg   20171011_233235.jpg  
Old 10-12-2017, 05:18 AM   #17

I would not base much on those small levels. There is too much variance in the surface for them to be really accurate. More of a guide than anything else.

I 'level' based on the convenience factor. Pan of water on the stove. Nothing worse than cooking in a fry pan when everything runs to one side. Or doors that swing shut on their own. Or shower that doesn't drain. But, none of these tell you if the rig is really straight and level.

To test for the frame being straight and level you need a long level and use it under the frame. Not something I'd do unless I thought my trailer was torqued badly.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:10 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyWayne1826 View Post
Well my thinking is that if I block one side more than the other, when I go to lower the jacks from the switch, one will make contact before the other. Like mentioned before, I don't want to put anything in too much of a bind. I hope all this makes sense
My 16 Eagle would not auto level in the driveway.We mostly dry camp.We place 4x6s square steel under the rear jacks.Manually pull the pins on the front jacks.Drop 8" replace pins, and unhook camper.Push auto level camper will pretty much level any where.I still carry a couple 2x4s if we are in a really bad place.
Attached Thumbnails
OKK.jpg   Sq.steel.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:11 AM   #19

How about the ole egg in the skillet?
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 06:00 PM   #20

But still lol should that slide with the fridge be that bad off