Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-21-2017, 08:48 AM   #21

We ended up having a sub frame installed to level out our 29.5BHDS. After all the adjustments that can be made; and with 16" wheels and tires, the rig was still about 8" nose high. The sub frame was heaven sent! We towed our rig from Arizona to Wisconsin (and back) and the trailer performed flawlessly. No towing issues of any kind.

We also went ahead and upgraded the bushings and the shackles with Dexter heavy duty shackle kit.

Attached are some pics of our sub frame upgrade.
Attached Thumbnails
FB_IMG_1460469133209.jpg   FB_IMG_1460469140892.jpg   FB_IMG_1460469147391.jpg  
Queen Creek, Arizona
tularockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 12:24 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tularockstar View Post
We ended up having a sub frame installed to level out our 29.5BHDS. After all the adjustments that can be made; and with 16" wheels and tires, the rig was still about 8" nose high. The sub frame was heaven sent! We towed our rig from Arizona to Wisconsin (and back) and the trailer performed flawlessly. No towing issues of any kind.

We also went ahead and upgraded the bushings and the shackles with Dexter heavy duty shackle kit.

Attached are some pics of our sub frame upgrade.

How much did this run? Is there a kit of did you FAB it from a local shop? How are the welds?

A lot of questions but I am curious on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-21-2017, 12:39 PM   #23

Altogether, including the shackle and bushing kit, I think it ran about $1,300! The price will vary, depending on the shop and location. It was done by a RV frame shop. They did all the work, including aligning the axles and adding an extra brace at each axle--for additional stability. We felt that it was money well-spent. The rig does sit about 4 inches higher, but does not affect our towing in any way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrtEmaxChvy View Post
How much did this run? Is there a kit of did you FAB it from a local shop? How are the welds?

A lot of questions but I am curious on this.

Queen Creek, Arizona
Old 03-21-2017, 12:54 PM   #24

"Lifting" the 29.5 BHDS

Quote:
Altogether, including the shackle and bushing kit, I think it ran about $1,300! The price will vary, depending on the shop and location. It was done by a RV frame shop. They did all the work, including aligning the axles and adding an extra brace at each axle--for additional stability. We felt that it was money well-spent. The rig does sit about 4 inches higher, but does not affect our towing in any way.

Well your example will be what I use for this trailer place. I'm going to.

Thanks so much for posting this.

Old 04-07-2017, 08:55 AM   #25

So, I'm just picking up my trailer from the dealer after some warranty work and asked to have the axles adjusted. The note on my paperwork states, Jayco won't approve it as it voids the chassis warranty. Anyone else ever come across this?
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 09:01 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoser View Post
So, I'm just picking up my trailer from the dealer after some warranty work and asked to have the axles adjusted. The note on my paperwork states, Jayco won't approve it as it voids the chassis warranty. Anyone else ever come across this?
Contact Jayco directly. I'd find another dealer as well. Why put adjustable suspension on a frame if you cant use it. Someone is being an idiot somewhere. My bets are on the dealer.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 09:03 AM   #27

I second Earl on this.

Old 04-07-2017, 09:40 AM   #28

Send a message via AIM to JeremiahM Send a message via MSN to JeremiahM
I third it, many dealers have done this with no issue or claims that it voids warranty

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 04-07-2017, 09:47 AM   #29

"Lifting" the 29.5 BHDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Earl View Post
Contact Jayco directly. I'd find another dealer as well. Why put adjustable suspension on a frame if you cant use it. Someone is being an idiot somewhere. My bets are on the dealer.

Earl

That's what I'm thinking. He came out as I was hooking up, and said if I did it on my own, he'd never know if something came up. They just wouldn't do it. I even offered to pay for it, and wasn't looking for a free ride. Oh well. Dealer did a good job on the other items and it was all done in a timely manner. For RV stuff anyway.

Update: So, I had to go back to the dealer(I live 20 mins away) for a problem I found with the work they did. Tech came out and immediately took care of that. Got to talking about the leaf spring hangers and he said he emailed jayco and they said it was fine. A miscommunication between tech and service manager. So now they'll take care of that. Makes more sense.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 10:07 AM   #30

The dealer also has the obligation of ensuring that your trailer is as leveled as they can get it. Which, means that making adjustments in the areas of pin box, tow hitch, spring shackles are normal and common practice. If they allow you to drive off their lot without making your trailer and truck safe and leveled, they too, can be liable for any risk they put you under.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoser View Post
That's what I'm thinking. He came out as I was hooking up, and said if I did it on my own, he'd never know if something came up. They just wouldn't do it. I even offered to pay for it, and wasn't looking for a free ride. Oh well. Dealer did a good job on the other items and it was all done in a timely manner. For RV stuff anyway.
Queen Creek, Arizona
Old 04-07-2017, 10:19 AM   #31

Send a message via AIM to JeremiahM Send a message via MSN to JeremiahM
Quote:
The dealer also has the obligation of ensuring that your trailer is as leveled as they can get it. Which, means that making adjustments in the areas of pin box, tow hitch, spring shackles are normal and common practice. If they allow you to drive off their lot without making your trailer and truck safe and leveled, they too, can be liable for any risk they put you under.
Ha, tell that to the CW in oakwood GA

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 04-07-2017, 10:55 AM   #32

Camping world is the worst to be honest.

Old 04-29-2017, 12:39 PM   #33

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I just purchased a 2016 Ram 2500 and my 2016 Jayco 29.5bhds tows nose high. I'm about 8 in or so nose high. I have looked into the subframe idea, but can someone tell me if this will void the trailer warranty? I have already dropped the leaf springs to the lower hole. I guess my options are Lippert correct track, new tire and wheels. If the subframe does void the warranty can someone please tell me are there any other options than what I have listed? Camping season is here and my FW has the Cali lean going on.
davisenvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 12:56 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by davisenvy View Post
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I just purchased a 2016 Ram 2500 and my 2016 Jayco 29.5bhds tows nose high. I'm about 8 in or so nose high. I have looked into the subframe idea, but can someone tell me if this will void the trailer warranty? I have already dropped the leaf springs to the lower hole. I guess my options are Lippert correct track, new tire and wheels. If the subframe does void the warranty can someone please tell me are there any other options than what I have listed? Camping season is here and my FW has the Cali lean going on.

Best options are wheels and tires and adjusting the spring hangers to the lowest level. That's what I'm working toward

Old 04-29-2017, 01:47 PM   #35

Quote:
I would anticipate it wouldn't have much effect on your warranty. If you weld in a subframe and the frame cracks in that area, I would be prepared for it not to be covered. In theory, they could argue springs and axles have been modified from factory and not cover portions of them.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it much. If you get a subframe welded in by a quality shop, there shouldn't be any issues warranty wise.
Old 04-29-2017, 01:51 PM   #36

You can actually tow your RV with it a bit nose high for a small period of time. Adding a sub frame may/may not void your warranty--depend on which dealer you ask. Then, again, any mod you make to your trailer would affect just the area your modifying. We've decided to add the sub frame to ours, as it was the best option for us. And, so far it was money-well spent. Of course, the final decision would be yours to make for your trailer.

Good luck and congrats on your new truck and trailer! We have the same combo and really love the set-up. Let us know what you decided.

Quote:
Queen Creek, Arizona
Old 04-29-2017, 02:04 PM   #37

Quote:
You can actually tow your RV with it a bit nose high for a small period of time. Adding a sub frame may/may not void your warranty--depend on which dealer you ask. Then, again, any mod you make to your trailer would affect just the area your modifying. We've decided to add the sub frame to ours, as it was the best option for us. And, so far it was money-well spent. Of course, the final decision would be yours to make for your trailer.

Good luck and congrats on your new truck and trailer! We have the same combo and really love the set-up. Let us know what you decided.
I'm glad you chimed in. What effect did the lift have on your out door kitchen and the first step in the FW? Did you also do upgrade tires and drop your leaf springs, or just the subframe?
Old 04-30-2017, 08:21 AM   #38

Our rig came with the 16" wheel and tire upgrade, so we do all the other adjustments to level the trailer. Still, we were about 8 inches nose high. Adding the sub frame did raise the trailer up a bit. We use an adjustable platform when using the outside kitchen. The step up to the rig has also gotten a little taller as well. But, it's manageable. This upgrade, however, did not change how the rig tows in any way, shape or form. We towed from Az to. Wisconsin and back last year with no issue whatsoever. Hope this helps.

Quote:
I'm glad you chimed in. What effect did the lift have on your out door kitchen and the first step in the FW? Did you also do upgrade tires and drop your leaf springs, or just the subframe?
Old 04-30-2017, 09:52 AM   #39

Seeing as how we have pretty much the same set up, I think the subframe may be my only option. I'll report back with what I end up doing. It's frustrating because I just went through figuring all of this last year with my 2006 Duramax. Now its time to do it all over again.
Old 02-25-2018, 09:08 PM   #40

Update.

https://youtu.be/9i4xHWvl4aY