Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-10-2019, 08:55 PM   #1

Lippert, Dexter, Roadmaster

I know their are several threads on shocks but could not find them. Looking to add shocks to my 377 and found kits from Lippert, Dexter and Roadmaster. Looking for opinions. Leaning toward Roadmasters
Old 12-10-2019, 09:30 PM   #2

I am in the process of installing Roadmasters on my trailer next week. The first thing I discovered in my research is get under your trailer and see what’s there. It seems from one year to another, one line to another and sometimes in the different models of the same line there are differences. Some have shock attachments and some don’t, mine didn’t. I never looked at dexter, probably because they never came up in my searches for my size axles and frame. I found out that in my model the way the Lippert’s were to be installed, I didn’t have enough tire clearance. So that left Roadmaster. In the end I was convinced the Roadmaster solution would fit. So I would crawl under there, take a look, then go to eTrailer or YouTube and watch some videos and try to find experience with your year and model. I’m sure you will get some more pinnacle owners chime in.

Gone Fishing!
SIGPIC
Nathan S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 07:22 AM   #3

Roadmaster is probably going to be your best to go with. I put Joy Rider (now Roadmaster Comfort Ride). I'm very happy with them.
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 07:54 AM   #4

Here are a couple threads I participated in:

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ghlight=shocks

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ghlight=shocks

Install is fairly straight forward. Just make sure you get your shock angle correct. I installed the Roadmasters and their install manual is very clear, just follow it closely. The desired angle is measured off the vertical, not the horizontal, plane.

Drilling into the square channel to attach the upper brackets is awkward due to the suspension parts in the way. Prepare to use a 12" long drill bit. I then welded the brackets in place after bolting for extra peace of mind.

Due to the axle being over the springs on North Points and Pinnacles, you won't be using the lower mount extensions with the Roadmaster kit.

You'll need to purchase longer U-bolts:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, on the driver side suspension, the brake wires are attached to the frame with a loop retainer. The head was too corroded to remove with a hand tool, and luckily I had my electric grinder with me to remove it (carefully). I did the install away from home at my seasonal site. That retainer would have been a silly show stopper otherwise, it was too thick to bend and break it.

Todd
Just outside Philly
2018 377RLBH
2019 Ford F450 Platinum
Old Faithful: 2004 GMC Sierra 3500 Diesel Dually
Lowmiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 10:16 AM   #5

I have Roadmasters on my Pinnacle since May of this year and have 5,000 miles on the FW and could not be more pleased with their performance. I know have said this many times before, but I only wish that my TV took the bumps as well as my FW!
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 12:31 PM   #6

I posted on here a little while back about what shocks to use in the factory mounts on my 2020 Eagle HT 30.5 MLOK. I contacted Jayco to see what they recommend and they said that installing shocks is considered a modification and would void the warranty. I asked then why did they bother installing the mounts and I couldn't really get a straight answer.
MarcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 01:07 PM   #7

I went the cheap route and put the LCI shock kit on my trailer. So far, they’ve performed well but if I had to do it over again I’d get the Joy Rider/ Roadmaster kit.

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 01:30 PM   #8

Roadmaster Shocks

I have a 2017 Pinnacle that had all four leaf springs fail (Jayco just issued a recall for the 2017 Pinnacles for this failure). Jayco stood behind the issue and upgraded my springs and rubber bushings on the equalizers. After the Jayco recommended repairs, I upgraded to 1/2 inch thick shackles and added Roadmaster shocks.

I did the install on the shocks myself. Not a difficult install, just make sure you have plenty 12 inch long drill bits. Lowmiler is correct on verifying the angle and the lower extension. I have 24,000 miles total on my FW, 4,000 since the shock install. The shock install was worth the effort and every penny.
thshep is offline   Reply With Quote