Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2022, 02:22 PM   #1

Lippert Ground Control 3.0 - lifting right landing gear during auto level

Hi all,

I just witnessed a very troubling issue with my 2021 357MDOK. I have it on my driveway, which is maybe 1.5-2." slope down from passenger side to driver side of the camper. The driveway also slopes downward toward the back of the unit. I had this leveled in this exact spot up until November, when I pressed the Retract All button, so the camper would only rest on the landing gear and wheels for the winter.

Anyway, I wanted to level it out today (45 degrees outside) to push the slides out and check the dimensions of the foldaway beds. I started the Auto Level sequence and it leveled the front-to-back initially by lifting both landing gear jacks. It then dropped the rear two stabilizer jacks, as expected. It THEN lifted the passenger side landing gear jack off the ground a couple of inches. As soon as I saw that, I hit Retract All and it set itself back down where it was. I tried again hoping it was a fluke, and it did it again, so I aborted it and Retracted All again.

1. Please confirm this is NOT supposed to happen.

2. Why is it doing this? Over the winter, the circuit breaker to my camper tripped and went unnoticed for a few days, and the batteries drained. I caught it in time and they were fully recharged. Did this reset something in the auto-leveling to default values or something?

I have an upcoming warranty appointment for some other issues. I'm guessing I need to add this to my list?

Edit - for clarification purposes, the landing gear leg that is lifting is on the HIGH spot of the driveway, so it should in no way be an out of stroke type of issue. It clearly is retracting.
JayG7800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 02:32 PM   #2

Adding photo for reference
Attached Thumbnails
1065CD6C-6246-440B-AAB0-1E818CD0CA21.jpg  
Old 02-11-2022, 04:13 PM   #3

So I contacted my dealer, who referred me to Lippert. Lippert thinks the zero calibration was reset when my batteries ran down. The tech said temporarily lifting of one side should not have caused damage, but I did the right thing by aborting auto level and resetting it.

I played around with the zero calibration settings and I cannot get it level without lifting that leg. Looking a little more, it looks like the left leg (the one that stays on the ground) has set into the driveway some, so I think it must have been just barely able to level before the driveway sunk in a little. I'll have to move it and better level it to redo the zero calibration stuff, but not at 40 degrees outside.
Old 02-12-2022, 01:35 PM   #4

During winter storage I remove both batteries so it is stored without any power. When I level it in the spring I have not had to recalibrate zero.

From your JayCommand or BMPro screen you should be able to operate the jacks individually to level your trailer. I wish I could help on the zero calibration. I've not gotten the nerve up yet to mess with it out of fear of making it worse. That's normally what happens when I try to make it better.
Demco 18K Autoslide Hitch and Timbrens
2019 Ford F350 SB 6.7L Diesel (Gone)
Radar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 07:22 AM   #5

You will probably have to recalibrate auto level. To do this you will have to manually level and reset zero level on your control.
Toolguy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 05:02 PM   #6

Just following up on this. After moving the 5th wheel to a more flat location, the system is working just fine.

I am curious though if there's a recommended process for "re-tightening the jacks" after the ground settles during a longer camping trip. Do I pull the slides in and hit level again, or....?
Old 05-23-2022, 05:45 AM   #7

It may be necessary if the ground is wet.
I have never had to level after i have been sitting. Although most of the time i have been on compacted stone or cement. The longest I have been parked at a site is 4 months.
Old 05-23-2022, 05:50 AM   #8

I went back and read your original post again. When i had my Northpoint it would do that from time to time if the jacks had a lot of travel to get to level. Now i use blocks to keep minimum travel to get to level. That appears to make a difference.
Old 05-23-2022, 10:51 AM   #9

I have re leveled on soft ground after a day or so. I leave the slides out and just hit auto level and let it do its thing. Never moves to much.
I agree, use blocks. The less leg travel the better. My dealer gave me this tip during our pdi and we have not had any issues, other than me boogering something up from time to time...
Dbunke is offline   Reply With Quote