Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-06-2018, 09:50 PM   #1

Lippert Ground Control 3 manipulation

I've come to discover the auto level system in our rig is a bit more tricky than originally anticipated. It's not just a quick push of the "auto level" and it's all rainbows and sunshine. Yeah, it works great if it's zeroed out first but it doesn't take much to throw it out of whack.

For example, one camping trip we discover the camper parked in the softer grass/dirt area on one side of our site. So when we used auto level, it gets confused and now we've got wheels off the ground - Yikes! We set back to zero and use blocks now but occasionally it's act up again.

The most common problem we've seen is the camper will be just a degree off on one side, so the shower floor will retain some water in the corner instead of draining right off. Or the bed will feel like it's just a touch lower on one side. Or the gas stove top will allow the oil to slide to one side of the pan more. Not the end of the world but still noticeable.

What I'd like to do is use the auto level feature, then if it's just a bit off manually raise the side or corner that I suspect is off. My phone has a level tool and I can see the bubble isn't centered. How do I manually adjust this without breaking anything? Help!

Note: I'm not 100% clear on whether we need to auto level before the slides go out and/or afterward. Not sure which way gives better results.
Old 05-07-2018, 04:20 AM   #2

If the trailer is far enough off level it will put wheels in the air. Very common for us as we camp in state parks and fields.
Check your rear sensor and make sure it's mounted very securely.
Use blocks under the jacks to prevent the jacks from over stroking.
Once you fine-tune it, it should level the same every time. If not, the rear sensor could be loose.
I used this method to set level on my system. Park on level ground. Auto level. Put the slides out and fine-tune manually. Retract the slides and than save your setting. The slides will throw your level off. Especially if they are on one side of the unit.
If the wheels off the ground bothers you, you will need to use boards or blocks under the low side wheels. It's nothing for us to have wheels 6" in the air if the site is that far out of level.
If it's putting the wheels up on both sides, there is an issue. Probably the rear sensor is loose or bad.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 04:26 AM   #3

Using manual depends on which system you have. Either can be used in manual. The controls have safety limits in manual to protect the frame. You can run jacks in pairs or individual. I only use manual when on soft ground and the trailer needs a little adjustment after settling.
You're not properly zeroing your system if you're not using the manual controls.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 08:48 AM   #4

First off, I wouldn't worry about wheels off the ground. I used to worry about that and then realized that even if they had blocks under them, the leveling jacks are still carrying the weight. My suspension seems to have very little articulation, so wheels off the ground happens often.

I usually auto level, and then after setup is complete, I'll hit it once more to adjust for any settling or the slide being out. Knock on wood, that's worked so far. As others have said, I do place blocks under the levelers. I place more under the ones I know will be extended the furthest to ensure I don't run out of stroke. So far, never a fault message.

Now that I voiced to internet I've had no issues, next trip out I'll be posting here asking for help with a leveling issue.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 09:07 AM   #5

We always stuff as many blocks as possible under the rear jacks.LCI's web site has more complete instructions than what they give you when you when you purchased camper.According to LCI web site each jack has a capacity of 5K.We would not worry either if wheels come off the ground.One member suggested hitting auto level twice.Going to try that thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Cactus 011.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 09:26 AM   #6

So if you hit auto level twice does that screw up your hitch memory?
estesbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 09:29 AM   #7

Good question I will wait to try it until someone answers that question! Thanks
Old 05-07-2018, 10:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by estesbubba View Post
So if you hit auto level twice does that screw up your hitch memory?
Yes, always does after using manual.
2015 Jayco Sesimic 4212 Extreme Weather Package, Dual Pane Windows, Side and rear Patios, 480 watt Zamp Solar Pkg, 6 - 6 volt AGM batteries, Residential Fridge, custom Dishwasher, 5500 watt Onan and lot of problems.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/m...albums843.html Check this out.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...s-34672-3.html
Loboclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 10:26 AM   #9

Not sure about using the manual mode, but hitting the auto level twice will not mess with the hitch memory, at least it hasn't on mine so far.
oh355mbqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 12:34 PM   #10

Please clue me in on the hitch memory feature. I've read about it and tried it, but it didn't seem to work for my '17 377. Perhaps I should try again after the auto-level. It seems like I remember a particular button sequence, but its been a year or so.

2016 Ram 3500 4X4 Dually, 6.7 Cummins, 3.73
2017 Jayco North Point 377RLBH, Cummins/Onan Gen
JetTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 12:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetTech View Post
Please clue me in on the hitch memory feature. I've read about it and tried it, but it didn't seem to work for my '17 377. Perhaps I should try again after the auto-level. It seems like I remember a particular button sequence, but its been a year or so.
It will return the front landing legs to where they were before you hit the auto level button.
Old 05-07-2018, 01:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetTech View Post
From the manual...

Hitch Recognition
1. Turn on the touch pad.
2. Push the “UP” arrow (Fig. 1A) to scroll to “Auto Reconnect” option on LCD screen.
3. Push "ENTER" (Fig. 1C). The rear jacks and middle jacks (if equipped) will retract first, then the front
jacks will extend to raise the trailer to the height where the auto level sequence was started.

NOTE: If the auto level sequence was started with the front of the trailer in a below-level condition, the Hitch Recognition will not function and the LCD will display “Feature Disabled.” In order for the Hitch Recognition feature to function, the auto level sequence must be started with the front of the trailer above level.

2012 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie DRW - High Output 6.7L Cummins, Max Tow, FireStone Airbags, 60 Gallon Titan XXL fuel tank, Fully Deleted
2017 Jayco North Point 377rlbh with Kaut NV 2.0 bike rack
jasonmiddlebrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 02:56 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonmiddlebrooks View Post
From the manual...

Hitch Recognition
1. Turn on the touch pad.
2. Push the “UP” arrow (Fig. 1A) to scroll to “Auto Reconnect” option on LCD screen.
3. Push "ENTER" (Fig. 1C). The rear jacks and middle jacks (if equipped) will retract first, then the front
jacks will extend to raise the trailer to the height where the auto level sequence was started.

NOTE: If the auto level sequence was started with the front of the trailer in a below-level condition, the Hitch Recognition will not function and the LCD will display “Feature Disabled.” In order for the Hitch Recognition feature to function, the auto level sequence must be started with the front of the trailer above level.
My Ground Control 3 doesn't have Auto Reconnect on the menu - I just press the left and right buttons at the same time.
estesbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 10:42 AM   #14

My 16 Eagle works the same way, wish I had one button to reconnect!If we do not push A & B pretty close get a error for front left jack. Thanks
Old 05-13-2018, 03:31 PM   #15

For Auto Reconnect to work, the manual says your reconnect position has to be "below" level. My 2016 Pinnacle 38FLSA is usually slightly above the level line once I raise the front to lift the weight of the hitch and truck.

I need to reset the zero level point on mine. Our unit definitely leans to the off door side when the Ground Control says it is level. Do you set the zero point with slides in or out?
RVing all my life......1st Jayco
ETCrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 06:09 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETCrockett View Post
For Auto Reconnect to work, the manual says your reconnect position has to be "below" level. My 2016 Pinnacle 38FLSA is usually slightly above the level line once I raise the front to lift the weight of the hitch and truck.

Are you sure you read that right? Mine manual says the opposite. Front has to be higher than back.

2012 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie DRW - High Output 6.7L Cummins, Max Tow, FireStone Airbags, 60 Gallon Titan XXL fuel tank, Fully Deleted
2017 Jayco North Point 377rlbh with Kaut NV 2.0 bike rack
jasonmiddlebrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 06:01 PM   #17

Mine always comes off above level and reconnect works. That being said, after I hit auto reconnect, I still have to raise the front a hair more to connect, but overall it's pretty close. I guess I don't raise it enough during disconnect.

As for reconnect working after hitting auto level twice... It does work. If I use the manual mode at all, it loses memory.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote