Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-29-2019, 01:45 PM   #1

Lippert OneControl wireless system

So on my shakedown punch list is getting the OneControl panel to connect to my smart phone or tablet as advertised. It requires downloading the app to a smartphone or tablet then connecting to its local WiFi via the supplied local router. Never could find the signal.

Looking at the Lippert web site for support, then looking at our fuse panel, it's clear that the OneControl Panel on the wall and the router in the adjoining cabinet each require their own fuse in the panel. (Nos 2 and 1 respectively) Some knucklehead never put a fuse in the No 1 slot for the router. Easy fix.

But before I spin my wheels further, is this appliance solving a problem that does not exist? The appliance and app do not allow you control systems remotely off site (would I want to?). It just provides local signal to operate slides, lights, auto-level etc. while walking around the unit outside. Joan already states that she would rather be inside when operating the slides to ensure the frames snug up to the walls and that we don't break furniture or squish a cat.

Has anyone used the system a lot and found useful functionality? I guess we paid for it and can try it but maybe put it farther down my punch list. Or as noobs we could be missing something obvious.

Thanks again. Y'all are so helpful.

-Angus
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 02:29 PM   #2

I don't have that but I have the old or older system LCI but you might try hooking it up through you phone data and see will that do anything, I'm sure that it is a easy fix. I will be getting the new one or a new 5th wheel that have that system or update virgins so I can't be too much help, I have been reading and looking at youtube video so when I do get my new 5th wheel I will know how to use it. Good luck.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 02:40 PM   #3

Yes it’s just a gimmick. LCI has a version that allows offsite control of some products but Jayco did not put that piece in their products. One person on the forum had received help form LCI regarding upgrading the system but I have called at least three times over the last couple
Of years and have been told it is not an a system with aftermarket support and they would not help me. I wanted to upgrade the 5” screen to the 7” and add the tank monitor through this panel (which is what the other individual did) and they would not help.

I do use the app occasionally but will lose connection to it if I walk around the front of the trailer to the drivers side. Then I have to reconnect the WiFi and try again.

Tow Rig: 2015 Ford F-450 Platinum, airbags, B&W Companion hitch for factory puck system.
prm99v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 02:52 PM   #4

I'm learning this new system compare to the one I have now the new one is a little better on what I have now, it's a little simpler to use for me anyway but I have gotten use to it like anything else I guess.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:56 PM   #5

Ah, thanks.
So the good news is that it reminded me to get a variety pack of spare fuses to keep in the drawer. So I'll pop is the missing fuse, try out the app when I am bored but in the meantime move on to other items on the learning punch list.
-Angus
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 03:11 PM   #6

You have to be in range of the internal router. I don't have one control on my TT but I think it would be nice to control lights at night when by the camp fire. It would also be nice to be outside moving the slide if close to a tree.

Our techs use them all the time. Its great for troubleshooting. I also picture being outside and wanting to lower awning without going into rv. If you phone is in your pocket of course.

Sitting in my office, I can pick up the Routers in the shop. Specially when they are located in the basement instead of behind a counter.
mia389 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 06:27 PM   #7

I liked the thought of it at first. However to use the app you have to log out of your current wifi (I have a permanent mounted MIfi) and log into the RV wifi. I found the range horrible and the app slow to connect. You have to be standing within 10-15 outside the RV to access it and even then it has issues staying connected. I find that when using it outside to open and close slides it quits halfway through. I also found that the RV wifi transmits on channel 8 on the 2.4 Ghz frequency which competed with my Mifi. I think, but could be wrong, that if I had a router and not a jetpack I could tie the two together and maybe get the app to work from my actual Wifi keeping everything on 1 wifi.
Old 01-29-2019, 07:09 PM   #8

There are some benefits to this system. I use it to raise and lower the fifth wheel when hooking it up to my truck. I will also use it to extend the slides, especially if we are in a tight spot. I can extend the slides while I am outside watching to make sure they do not hit anything. I have used it to extend the awning, usually during our initial set up at the campsite. I don’t use it to control the exterior lights, but I’m sure a lot of people would find it valuable for that.

Yes, there are some drawbacks to the system, but overall I find it useful.
Shall36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 01:20 AM   #9

I like the system and can't wait to get my new 5th wheeel, I guess that I'm a tech gleek.
Old 01-30-2019, 05:30 AM   #10

I use it quite a bit. Like Shall, I use it to raise and lower the 5th wheel when I'm hooking up (if the hitch height button hasn't worked for some reason). I also like to use it for putting the slides out, usually not in, I like to be inside for that. We also use it quite a bit for the light and awning. I don't tie the awning down so we put it in and out every time we come and go from the camper, we also turn the light on when we get back to the camper in the dark. I've had a few connectivity issues, but nothing more than any other electronic device that we have to have in our lives now. I have also used it to watch the battery voltage while traveling because we have a residential refrigerator and I want to make sure of how the batteries are doing.
oh355mbqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 08:05 AM   #11

Yep, exterior lights and awning control I frequently use. Also use the slide control to see the mid bunk slide retract while looking into the room so we don't squish a cat (even though we don't have cats).

The leveling info in manual mode is very helpful when identifying a level area when pulling into a site. And you can individually control jack zones for maintenance or troubleshooting purposes.

What is a gimmick is the wall mounted control pad. Never have used that. Will just use the hard buttons on the control panel instead.

Todd
Just outside Philly
2018 377RLBH
2019 Ford F450 Platinum
Old Faithful: 2004 GMC Sierra 3500 Diesel Dually
Lowmiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 09:34 AM   #12

I only use the One Control App on my phone. the only time I would use any button outside or inside the camper is to roll in the awning before going to bed. Great for hooking up to the 5th wheel from inside the truck while hitching up, extending, retracting, auto-leveling, etc.. I don't use it often for any slides, because the wife is inside running that show.

I also use it by the fire to turn on and off the awning light.

Just be sure to turn off the wifi when not using it for the camper for emails, internet connection, etc...
Old 01-30-2019, 10:33 AM   #13

If you are constantly loosing connection and you have regular WiFi connection (like a router or mifi) you should check your WiFi settings on your device.
If it is set to Auto-Join it will continually try to connect to the other network. Not the OneControl network

Same problem with my WiFi smoker.

I love the app for leveling, lights, awning etc.

Beautiful Wife

Ladd & Stacy
Ladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 10:51 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladd View Post
If you are constantly loosing connection and you have regular WiFi connection (like a router or mifi) you should check your WiFi settings on your device.
If it is set to Auto-Join it will continually try to connect to the other network. Not the OneControl network

Same problem with my WiFi smoker.

I love the app for leveling, lights, awning etc.
Very well could be the cause. Never actually looked at it to see if that is what is actually happening. I chalked it up to the OneControl router being installed in a small cabinet and the signal was weak outside on the back side of the RV. I have been thinking I can disconnect the OneControl router and install my own router that I am building to take the place of the Mifi. I plan on using Sierra Wireless modem installed in a Mofi type router. Then I could use one of the CAT5 connections to connect the OneControl module to (in theory). Doing this I think I could have both the RV OneControl and the RV internet all on one wifi network.
Old 01-31-2019, 02:18 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justlkn View Post
Very well could be the cause. Never actually looked at it to see if that is what is actually happening. I chalked it up to the OneControl router being installed in a small cabinet and the signal was weak outside on the back side of the RV. I have been thinking I can disconnect the OneControl router and install my own router that I am building to take the place of the Mifi. I plan on using Sierra Wireless modem installed in a Mofi type router. Then I could use one of the CAT5 connections to connect the OneControl module to (in theory). Doing this I think I could have both the RV OneControl and the RV internet all on one wifi network.
Your post had the gears in my head turning all morning!
In theory you are correct.

I dug out an old Apple Airport Express. Set it to extend my WiFi network. Ran some cat from it to the controller. The app would not connect. Deleted the app and tried to start over. Would not connect!
Arg!!! Would have been beautiful!

Please don’t let that discourage you. I would love to know if you get this working. Or anybody else.

Keep us informed.

Beautiful Wife

Ladd & Stacy
Ladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 06:27 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justlkn View Post
I liked the thought of it at first. However to use the app you have to log out of your current wifi (I have a permanent mounted MIfi) and log into the RV wifi. I found the range horrible and the app slow to connect. You have to be standing within 10-15 outside the RV to access it and even then it has issues staying connected. I find that when using it outside to open and close slides it quits halfway through. I also found that the RV wifi transmits on channel 8 on the 2.4 Ghz frequency which competed with my Mifi. I think, but could be wrong, that if I had a router and not a jetpack I could tie the two together and maybe get the app to work from my actual Wifi keeping everything on 1 wifi.
With a few changes you can add the LCI system to your existing WI-FI, the primary issue is the LCI control panel IP address is set to 192.168.1.1, so far I have not found a way to change this. The LCI router's IP is 192.168.1.2 and since the IP if fixed on the LCI control board you need to change your WI-FI network to a 192.168.1.0 if it is not already. You and can choose to completely replace the LCI router or use both your router and the LCI router (I did it both ways but you have to modify the settings on the LCI router to use both to get it to work so unless you are very techie don't do it) I highly recommend you just use your own router and un-plug the network cable and power from the LCI router to eliminate the LCI router all together and just set your router to a 192.168.1.2 address. This assures you do not change the LCI router at all and you can just re-connect it and everything will be back to the way it came from the factory. The only odd thing is the app will not support any WI-FI name it needs to be a standard characters and not too long. Not sure why but for some reason the app would not work with any network name, I think it is a limitation with the app. You do have to go through the restart wizard again on the phone app. If you are just using your router you can plug the LCI controller into any port on your WI-FI router. The App in the phone uses ARP to find the LCI control board so you still can't use this through the internet but it does let you use your WI-FI and not have to switch back and forth. The LCI router is the unit with the antenna and the controller is the smaller unit. . I am sure there is a way to change the IP on the LCI controller but I did not have time to research that but will find it later.
MaxDMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 02:04 PM   #17

I use it.

We just purchased our Jayco in December. I use the one control app for opening or closing the awnings. If I’m outside, I can look at them to make sure they roll up correctly.
I also use it locally when opening and closing the slides; It lets me be up close to the slide when closing and outside watching my clearances when opening.
I haven’t looked into the router component yet, but I’d love to figure out if I can hook it to a WAN (Internet) and change the SSID.
wc895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 06:17 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc895 View Post
We just purchased our Jayco in December. I use the one control app for opening or closing the awnings. If I’m outside, I can look at them to make sure they roll up correctly.
I also use it locally when opening and closing the slides; It lets me be up close to the slide when closing and outside watching my clearances when opening.
I haven’t looked into the router component yet, but I’d love to figure out if I can hook it to a WAN (Internet) and change the SSID.
Yes you can do that but I would just disconnect and remove the power from the LCI router all together and install your own router. Since the LCI controller is set to 192.168.1.1 just use the 192.168.1.0/24 network and 192.168.1.2 address for your router. Set the DHCP server to hand out addresses from 192.186.1.20 through 192.168.1.200. Keep the Wi-Fi SSID name simple and it should work. All you should have to do on the LCI app is go through the restart wizard again.
MaxDMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 08:40 PM   #19

Anyone know what the user name and password in to access the 192.168.1.2 admin page of the LCI router by chance?
Old 02-22-2019, 10:08 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by prm99v6 View Post
Yes it’s just a gimmick. LCI has a version that allows offsite control of some products but Jayco did not put that piece in their products. One person on the forum had received help form LCI regarding upgrading the system but I have called at least three times over the last couple
Of years and have been told it is not an a system with aftermarket support and they would not help me. I wanted to upgrade the 5” screen to the 7” and add the tank monitor through this panel (which is what the other individual did) and they would not help.

I do use the app occasionally but will lose connection to it if I walk around the front of the trailer to the drivers side. Then I have to reconnect the WiFi and try again.

That would be me... I've been away from the forum for few months for the holidays and to focus on a SmartHome system migration. I'll be updating my posts in the next few weeks to reflect some of the additional work that I've done.

I've added, thanks to Lippert, the OneControl Anywhere 4G hotspot and the climate controls. Everything worked well on my last trip out at the end of October.

But if anyone has any specific OneControl questions please drop me a PM and I'll get the answers for you.
Shackrat is offline   Reply With Quote