Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-10-2018, 10:54 AM   #1

Lippert to Dexter axles

Just curious if anyone has changed their axles over to Dexter's. I know I can improve the Lippert issue with Bearing, Seals, bushings, shackles etc.... but in the end it's still a Lippert. Also I hear Lippert isn't too customer friendly. So to avoid a future Lippert headaches; I have been considering a total axle change. Has anyone went in this direction? Any opinions? Or is it wiser just to do the improvements since higher quality components will be used?

2014 Ram Dually 6.7 Diesel
2016 North Point 375BHFS
shadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 12:01 PM   #2

We have two bad Lippert axles in our 16 Eagle! Problem is they want you to send the axles back to the factory.If LSI decides axles are not bad you pay the freight both ways ect. ect.If you are at that point might as well replace all the plastic bushings with the bronze ones. LSI will credit you $65.00 per tire if damaged.You can email pictures.No two ways about its just a pain in the a!
Attached Thumbnails
Lake flagx.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 07:34 PM   #3

Have you looked into the MORryde Independent Suspension?
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 09:23 PM   #4

why not go to disc brakes that takes away all the problems and do wet bolts at the same time.
quailman50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 09:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by quailman50 View Post
why not go to disc brakes that takes away all the problems and do wet bolts at the same time.
That would be the best bet.
I’m pretty sure LCI owns Dexter
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 09:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
That would be the best bet.
I’m pretty sure LCI owns Dexter
From what I remember LCI only purchased the chassis division of Dexter, thank god for that.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 09:58 PM   #7

I have a north point 381dlqs that on delivery had no brakes at all all were burnt out on delivery all replaced but still not that good for a unit that size so i am putting disc brakes on and doing wet bolts too hopefully i will be able to stop better in our mountain roads
Old 03-11-2018, 10:11 AM   #8

It's all good advice. I've heard independent is some good stuff. That probably would entail someone with expertise that does it on a daily basis to do. And the cost is probably quite high, I would have to look into it further though. The disc brakes is a no brainer, with better bushings hangers, and wet bolts. With that, I think the lippert axle should be fine as I havent heard of much else . Ive done alot with etrailer, is there any other place better for kits? Since I'm on my home turf this is the time to do this stuff instead on the side of the road. All though my current axles have been fine so far (I didn't want to say that), Ive learned after ignoring the china bomb issue.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by quailman50 View Post
I have a north point 381dlqs that on delivery had no brakes at all all were burnt out on delivery all replaced but still not that good for a unit that size so i am putting disc brakes on and doing wet bolts too hopefully i will be able to stop better in our mountain roads
I fought for a year to have my brakes replaced. They kept saying it’s my truck, then I got a new truck...then said I overheated them ... I said if i did then I over heated them driving across their lot because I never had brakes from the first pedal press.
They finally pressured Jayco/Lippert and told me they are going to goodwill me new brakes. Thanks for being so nice Jayco <eye roll>

Here’s my theory..and I don’t think I’m too far off.
It’s the guys delivering the units. They are independent and have to pay for their own truck brakes...so they turn their controller to 10 and let the trailer stop their truck.
Not their problem after they drop off the unit.
Old 03-11-2018, 11:26 AM   #10

i was a delivery guy for two years and your correct in saying they get delivered on the brake controller but having said that the units should be able to handle that if the brakes were bigger or standard disc's there would be no problems.try driving in the mountains in canada and not turn your control up.
Old 03-11-2018, 12:43 PM   #11

Lol. Thanks for the confirmation.
Another part of a new buyers PDI should be road test for braking ability.
I can’t believe the amount of posts, just on this forum, about having grease on their brakes.
It’s s easy for the dealer to say, after the trailer has been taken off the lot, that the purchaser over heated them.

Rock (from the forum) had his rim melted to his hub and had to fight for Jayco to replace that.
Trailer manufacturers should have standards that they have to meet..and having axles/brakes within 95% of the GVWR shouldn’t be one of them.
All the NorthPoint/Pinnacle line should have 8000lb axels.
Old 03-11-2018, 01:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
Lol. Thanks for the confirmation.
Another part of a new buyers PDI should be road test for braking ability.
I can’t believe the amount of posts, just on this forum, about having grease on their brakes.
It’s s easy for the dealer to say, after the trailer has been taken off the lot, that the purchaser over heated them.

Rock (from the forum) had his rim melted to his hub and had to fight for Jayco to replace that.
Trailer manufacturers should have standards that they have to meet..and having axles/brakes within 95% of the GVWR shouldn’t be one of them.
All the NorthPoint/Pinnacle line should have 8000lb axels.
Sure they should. But would you pay $10k more for your camper? The RV manufacturers have done lots of marketing studies and know exactly what size units the consumer wants, and they also know how much they can push the consumers budget. I would be willing to bet that another $10k on a Northpoint and sales nose dive.

Also how many of these big units go straight to a permanent site where axles and tires don’t matter.
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 02:55 PM   #13

Had the wet bolts and heavy duty shackles put on before I picked up my North Point.
Had Performance Trailer Braking come to my home and install the disc brakes. https://performancetrailerbraking.com/

Put the Joy Rider shocks on and the MORryde x factor.
I'm happy with the way the trailer performs.

For about $2600 more I could of had the IS System and disc brakes put on. But at the time my wife was taking Chemo treatments and I just could not make the long trip from Alabama to Indiana.
Old 03-11-2018, 03:43 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2naEagle View Post
Had the wet bolts and heavy duty shackles put on before I picked up my North Point.
Had Performance Trailer Braking come to my home and install the disc brakes. https://performancetrailerbraking.com/

Put the Joy Rider shocks on and the MORryde x factor.
I'm happy with the way the trailer performs.

For about $2600 more I could of had the IS System and disc brakes put on. But at the time my wife was taking Chemo treatments and I just could not make the long trip from Alabama to Indiana.
Who does the IS system in Indiana? I'll be in the neighborhood next month. I've read some post where folks had failure moving up to 8000lbs axles. Then ended up going with the ISS.

2016 North Point 375BHFS
Old 03-11-2018, 03:49 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadester View Post
Who does the IS system in Indiana? I'll be in the neighborhood next month.

Independent Suspension System - MORryde Products
Old 03-11-2018, 04:09 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2naEagle View Post
OK Thanks, I thought you had a particular shop in mind. Definitely steering clear of RV dealers from this point on.

2016 North Point 375BHFS
Old 03-12-2018, 08:23 AM   #17

Klassic,
Between your brake issue and slide problems u have had ur share. The factory fixed my tire side rubing on slide by changing my springs from lippert to heavier dexter and heavier morride rubber suspension. Unit is now two inches higher and seems to ride smoother (that surprised me but it is now also level). I know all about melted brakes.
I also bet they crank up the controllers to max when delivering to save their brakes. But I also think our new self adjusting ones are causing problems. When mine go again I will replace with Manuel adjusters. Never had a problem with hyd drum trailer brakes running hot with Manuel adjusters.
And there were very few issues besides electrical with electric drum with Manuel adjusters. Junk seals, plastic bushings and self adjusters are the issues.
Rock
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 12:22 PM   #18

I just got 4 new backing plates put on. No argument at all. All 4 seals had failed and brakes were contaminated on each wheel.
This was all found at a little over a year of use on the trailer. I was going to have the bearings packed, and noted the grease on the wheels and significantly reduced braking on the unit.
My dealer worked directly with Lippert, and was not questioned at all.
They know they have a problem with seals....
Old 03-12-2018, 07:45 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsday75 View Post
I just got 4 new backing plates put on. No argument at all. All 4 seals had failed and brakes were contaminated on each wheel.
This was all found at a little over a year of use on the trailer. I was going to have the bearings packed, and noted the grease on the wheels and significantly reduced braking on the unit.
My dealer worked directly with Lippert, and was not questioned at all.
They know they have a problem with seals....
I brought mine in 4 times complaing about the brakes. The first time was 3 days after I picked it up.
On the 3rd time the shop manager called Lippert right in front of me and told them that they can’t send a customer off the lot with poorly functioning brakes...and they still gave him the run around.
The 4th time he got them to “good will “ me new brakes. I was ridiculous. For over a year I had no brakes.

Here’s more to the story.
I wanted to have a look at the old contaminated brakes..I went to the service bay and the mechanic gave me a fist full of attitude of how I over heated them
After they put them on, I took it for a 20 minute break in. Then came back and I could touch all the rims ( they were pretty hot) but one. It was so hot it couldn’t be touched for even a micro second.
The SA looked at it with me and we both blew it off because I just wanted out of there.
3 months later this rim gets so hot I can smell the heat walking near it.
Take it back AGAIN. They tell me that brake is destroyed inside. That, again,I over heated it.
It certainly wasn’t “SUPER MECHANIC’S” fault.

They were trying to charge me...I basically said ___ you.. this isn’t my fault.
So back to negotiations with Lippert.
They finally agreed to replace it, but they only replace it in axel pairs. I waited for them to ship on the back of a slow turtle. When they got here they sent two rights...the one I needed was the left.

It has never ended.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:11 AM   #20

klassic, yeah, I was ready for the fight, but there was none...I was surprised.
We will see if the new ones work or develop the same seal leaks...