Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-05-2022, 08:06 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper90 View Post
There is some really bad advice on here! I would suggest you go to Battleborn batteries website and read about the battery isolation module or DC/DC charger requirements. Li batteries can damage your alternator if not correctly done.
Good luck.
Best advice yet. Call Battleborn or Renogy and they will set you up with a system that is safe and what you need for your style of camping. HINT: There are some excellent Li Batteries available that are just as good if not better than some of the better known brand names......close to 1/2 the price. Some excellent vids on youtube, check out Great Outdoor Solar....use to be "I'm not lost I'm Rving. There you will find the batteries I would buy now. Or Will Prowse is the guru of all things solar and electrical...genius!
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 08:27 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathman View Post
Hi all. First, I'm going to apologize now for posting this question. I know this has been asked countless times before and I've read tons of threads on this but can't seem to find the correct answer.

I have a 2020 North Poing 377RLBH with no solar and my tow vehicle is a 2021 Ford F-350 SD with tow package. My RV has a Progressive Dynamics PD4560K. My basic lead-acid batteries power my RV for *maybe* 30-45 minutes after disconnecting from my truck (unless I plug into shore power).

My goal is to just have enough power for lights and my residential fridge for a bit longer when I boondock without having to run a generator all the time. I purchased a 12V 200Ah LiFePO4 battery with BMS from Walmart which is being delivered in a day or two.

Swapping the battery and flipping the Lithium switch on my PD4650 is a piece of cake. Is there anything else I need to do? I read something about getting a DC-DC charger due to something about an impact on my truck's alternator when driving. Is that the case? I was hoping to just throw the battery in and flip the LI switch.

Thanks so much for the advice and again, I apologize for the duplicate question.

-Heath
Heath here is the problem with posting solar/Li questions.....you will get ten different answers from five different people.....one "might" be correct.....but which one? If any?
Best thing to do is go to Battleborns site, look what others have done for a system.....call them. Or Renogy or a professional installer if you're not comfortable with your knowledge level.
No matter what though...do your research.....as much as possible......until your brain goes numb LOL!!!!!! Really though.....it's not hard at all to learn the basics.
Will Prowse on Youtube is a amazing young man.....has a book on the subject......very worth while to own and read. Great Outdoors Solar is another excellent YT couple who has practical experience in usage and now doing professional installations.
Heath, good luck, have fun.....it's a very worthwhile endeavor you are on!
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote