Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-23-2019, 09:09 AM   #21

I need to get to an empty lot and do some turns checking clearance. My pinbox is lower in back. The hitch expert looked it over and took measurements. He agreeded if I wanted it to clear on tight turn it had to be in highest hole. I bet it will be 2-3 months before I get it back from shop. At least than I can use alt air lowering to check level and height.
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 03:10 PM   #22

The question is how sharp of a turn? You never ever exceed a 90 degree (truck to trailer) turn - EVER. You can, because if you jack knife a trailer into a slot then yes - is possible, but the odds of damage to something is high. Any tractor trailer driver knows this as the damage to cab corners can happen - big bucks if you do. Slightly higher can be better than lower.
Edutron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 06:35 PM   #23

When we were considering a new truck last year we were told it would cost about $1,300.00 to raise the Jayco enough to level it with the much taller trucks they make nowadays. Ours already has the 16-inch wheels and tires and the shackles as high as they will go so the estimate was to build a subframe and remount the suspension to that for the lift.
We were told this shop does that "all the time with the new trucks being taller." So, we still drive our old reliable, and barely 100,000 mile 2004 Chevy diesel that fits it flat and right.
Now, I wouldn't want to spend 50-grand for a truck!
Old 11-27-2019, 06:55 PM   #24

So, we still drive our old reliable, and barely 100,000 mile 2004 Chevy diesel that fits it flat and right.
Now, I wouldn't want to spend 50-grand for a truck![/QUOTE]

$50 grand??? I guess you haven't priced trucks since 2004! Lol! $50 grand these days gets you a sissy 1/2 ton gasser.
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 11:26 AM   #25

X2 on the cost of trucks. My FW and new truck cost about the same.
Old 11-30-2019, 09:57 PM   #26

Can someone please explain this "alternate trailer height" thing to me?

Is this something only on the 3500?

I have a 2015 Ram 2500 4x4, and even with the pin-box height all the way down, and the B&W hitch all the way down, I still tow slightly nose-high. It's enough that we can't really stay in our Eagle HT with it hitched-up. So, at level sites where we are just doing a one-nighter, we have to un-hitch, level, then crank it back up, and re-hitch in the morning. PITA, especially in the rain, which seems to happen a lot!

Next, I'll have the shop reset the shackles to the lower holes, which will raise the Eagle a little. I'm afraid it won't be enough though.

I don't know where the truck makers all got the idea we all need feet of ground clearance. Seems like they might be getting a little more reasonable lately. Old folks like me have such a hard time climbing up into these things.

Dave O.
daveobieone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 10:09 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveobieone View Post

I have a 2015 Ram 2500 4x4, and even with the pin-box height all the way down, and the B&W hitch all the way down, I still tow slightly nose-high. It's enough that we can't really stay in our Eagle HT with it hitched-up. So, at level sites where we are just doing a one-nighter, we have to un-hitch, level, then crank it back up, and re-hitch in the morning. PITA, especially in the rain, which seems to happen a lot!

Next, I'll have the shop reset the shackles to the lower holes, which will raise the Eagle a little. I'm afraid it won't be enough though.

I don't know where the truck makers all got the idea we all need feet of ground clearance. Seems like they might be getting a little more reasonable lately. Old folks like me have such a hard time climbing up into these things.

Dave O.
Alternate trailer height is only on ram 3500 trucks with the optional rear auto leveling air suspension. It automatically levels the truck as loads are applied or removed. There is a button on the dash to use alternate trailer height. That lowers the rear of the truck an inch to tow level on the truck, which will drop the front of the trailer an inch. Otherwise the auto level will rake the truck a bit.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 11:40 AM   #28

height

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveobieone View Post

Dave O.
Dave, do you mean your pin box is actually all the way up against the trailer? All the way down would raise the FW. You also stated your BW hitch was all the way down. What kind of clearance do you have when you do that? I also have a 2500 and HT and would definitely hit my rails lowering the BW all the way down.
Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi
BLTravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 05:28 PM   #29

Brian:

I miss-spoke on that.
What I should have said is...
My pin box is down as far as I can take it without hitting the sides of the bed when making some complicated maneuvers...like getting in and out of my storage facility which twists the truck side to side pretty hard while the trailer is still level.

My BW slider hitch is in fact down as far as it will go.

I have about 6 inches minimum clearance between the sides of the bed and the bottom of the fifth wheel. That's back near the tailgate. Some places closer to the cab are more like 7 inches.

I do have the Air Lift rear suspension on my 2500 Ram/Cummins. Even with it down to about 5 pounds, the Eagle is still noise high by a couple of degrees, and you can't tow with it down there. To keep it from bouncing around, I need at least 20 pounds in the air bags. 25 smooths it out really nice. The truck is still sitting a little lower in the rear then as compared to when it's unloaded.

Next step will be to have our Eagle HT suspension attached in the lower holes, which should raise the trailer a little. But probably not enough. I guess I could go up a size on the wheels and tires, but that wouldn't gain much either.

The Eagle being noise-high also means it's tail-low. That worries me too when getting in and out of some places. Dragging parts on the rear of it wouldn't be a good thing.

Dave O.
Old 12-06-2019, 05:45 PM   #30

nose high

Dave O,

I don't have air bags, have the pin box set as high as it will go (lowering the nose of the FW) AND the suspension attached in the lower holes. My hitch is set in the middle. Any lower I would be too low for clearance. I am still very nose high. You said you are only a high "a couple of degrees" but can't tow "down there". That doesn't sound bad at all...a couple of degrees.
I am new at having a FW and just bought this combination based on payload, GVW, GCWR, etc and was keeping well within all the parameters. I never heard about this issue until after the fact and seeing how unlevel my set up is.
I don't think changing the tire size would be worth the cost as compared to the results.
I don't know what else to do.

At a loss myself,
Brian
Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi
BLTravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 06:23 PM   #31

I have been considering something like these...
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Lea.../LC279688.html

They come in several different sizes. Lifting the center point (equalizer) between the springs would likely help some too...if everything else fits.

The ride is VERY harsh in this Eagle HT! I know because I rode in the thing for a few miles with my wife driving the truck. Every little crack in the pavement felt like it was going to bring all the cabinetry down on me. These might also help soften that up some.

I rode in the Big Horn 5th wheel we had before this Eagle, and the ride was so smooth and quiet, I honestly fell asleep. I was amazed at how punishing the ride was in the Eagle. I'm really afraid that it's going to do some damage.

Dave O.
Old 12-06-2019, 06:59 PM   #32

You have nerves of steal to ride in FW with DW towing it!! Lol. Sure I am in trouble now.
Old 12-06-2019, 07:35 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
You have nerves of steal to ride in FW with DW towing it!! Lol. Sure I am in trouble now.
And I even fell sound asleep! :-)
(but that was in the 14,000 pound Big Horn)

Dave O.
Old 12-11-2019, 06:29 PM   #34

DW would drive the old truck but not towing. New one she said she will not even attempt driving the LB dually, I have no problem with that.