Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-21-2019, 08:10 AM   #1

Long Bed Hitch Height

Now that I have a long bed and no longer worry about hitting cab or window a new issue arose. Turning sharp will cause the end of pin box to hit bed rail with 6 inch of FW to bed rail clearance. So I raised hitch up so pinbox just will clear bed rail. That gives 7 1/2 FW bed rail clearance but now nose high. How do all u long bed owners set up yours? Being already a high FW nose up adds more now. If I drop it down to level like in my old SB that will defeat the reason I got a LB.
Rock
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 08:29 AM   #2

Is this bed deeper than the bed on your previous truck Ram? The long box or short shouldn’t make a difference here. I’d think the distance from the hitch back would be about the same in either truck. Just height of bed rails should come into play. What hitch do you have? I’d think moving the king pin as high as possible on the trailer and adjusting the hitch height are about all you can do.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 08:42 AM   #3

TXLoser
SB to LB u gain two feet between cab and axle. My SB I could only turn so tight that FW could hit cab and rear of pin box would just touch bed rail. If u put a level (piece of wood) across bed rail how high or lower than the bed rail is your lowest part of pin box?
Old 11-21-2019, 09:08 AM   #4

Be happy cause the 7.5" of bed clearance will pay off!
Can you raise the trailer through the spring hangers? Going from 15" to 16" wheels? I don't know what year, make or model trailer you have.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 09:46 AM   #5

Earl,
The FW is already way up there. Jayco replaced all the springs and a heavier morride rubber shackle for a tire rub. That 7 1/2 Bed clearance puts me nose high to get rear of pin box to just clear. The factory told me level I was at 13 ft 5. So now I am even higher. Since u have a LB does the end of your pin box lower than bed rails? I have the 18k morride pin box. Never worried with SB since cab would hit same time as pin box.
Rock.
Old 11-21-2019, 10:03 AM   #6

Rock,
There isn't going to be much difference in bed wall height between SB and LB if any. So there really isn't anything you can do. The framing of the pin box design and the morryde pin box cause it. You may gain more clearance if you replace the morryde with a standard pin box or shorter standard pin box. To move the pin box framing closer to the hitch.

Yes, my pin box framing is below the rails. Was on my past truck too. Never had an issue. I never had to jack the trailer enough to cause it to hit the bed and I've jacked her pretty hard to where I tore asphalt up with the trailer tandems. Though hitching up at an angle, you must watch the framing to bed side clearance as well as your tailgate to the trailer.

Never trust factory height specs!! Measure your unit yourself!

What year, make and model trailer do you have? Have bedroom ac? Is it standard or low profile?

You will love that LB over the SB! So many benefits, it's like a miracle. Lol but seriously, I can't understand the reason behind SB trucks. It's like a station wagon without the back half. Or 4 door without the back doors and seat.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Old 11-21-2019, 10:44 AM   #7

Earl,
Thanks for the reply. Knowing your pin box is also lower than bed like it was in my SB truck I will probably lower mine to be level. That will
Put me at a tad over 6 inch bed rail clearance. Just did first tow to the service for repairs at RV connections. When I get it back (probably a few months from now) I am gonna find a big lot and see just how tight I can turn. I would rather be level again and below 13.6
Tks
Rock
Old 11-21-2019, 11:23 AM   #8

Earl,
Difference between my
2006 and this one is 3 ft longer. As a daily driver that is a bunch. I figured if I was going longer might as well go wider. First tow that difference in length now puts FW tires over my grass by about two ft. I was already tight getting into my mountain camp. Guess I will see how that goes next summer. Tight turn at bottom of hill two Hugh trees and Giant Boulder.
Old 11-21-2019, 01:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
Earl,
Difference between my
2006 and this one is 3 ft longer. As a daily driver that is a bunch. I figured if I was going longer might as well go wider. First tow that difference in length now puts FW tires over my grass by about two ft. I was already tight getting into my mountain camp. Guess I will see how that goes next summer. Tight turn at bottom of hill two Hugh trees and Giant Boulder.
Man that's nothing. I went from a regular cab LB to a crew cab LB and love the hell out of it. Sure it's longer. Sure you gotta swing a little more but she will go/fit anywhere my regular cab would. My truck is 4wd, so makes turning more difficult. We camp in state parks and they are tight. No issues to date. I will say you have to relearn swing empty and how the trailer backs on the longer wheelbase.

Earl
Old 11-22-2019, 07:41 AM   #10

Just my 2 cents...This is becoming more of a common issue with the new trucks. Measure the box height of say a 2015 vs a 2019 and you will see what I mean. When we upgraded from a 2012 Ram 3500 SRW we went to a 2015 F350 DRW 4X4. We didn't go new on purpose. We have 8.5" of clearance and ride level. Same truck in 2019 was considerably higher.
Watsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 08:34 AM   #11

The new dually with air suspension must be lower. It has the same bed height as my 2006 3500 SRW. Maybe I should start a bed height thread!
Rock
Old 11-22-2019, 08:35 AM   #12

Quote:
The new dually with air suspension must be lower. It has the same bed height as my 2006 3500 SRW. Maybe I should start a bed height thread!
Rock
Do you tow in alternate trailer height? That would lower your trailer an inch.

Earl
Old 11-22-2019, 09:29 AM   #13

Earl,
Good point, I did not. Just reread the Manuel. I thought that was just loading unloading. I tried it while moving but it would not allow it at speed. Now I know lower than drive and it will stay one inch lower. Have to see how that changes the ride unloaded. The 2019’has all new suspension and I am very impressed how smooth this dually is unloaded. Still learning all the tech. Still waiting for MOPAR to tell me how to add FW TPMS sensors to my truck dash display. U can add three separate towed trailers. New just added feature this summer but must be top secret since dealers are clueless.
Rock
Old 11-22-2019, 10:06 AM   #14

Quote:
Earl,
Good point, I did not. Just reread the Manuel. I thought that was just loading unloading. I tried it while moving but it would not allow it at speed. Now I know lower than drive and it will stay one inch lower. Have to see how that changes the ride unloaded. The 2019’has all new suspension and I am very impressed how smooth this dually is unloaded. Still learning all the tech. Still waiting for MOPAR to tell me how to add FW TPMS sensors to my truck dash display. U can add three separate towed trailers. New just added feature this summer but must be top secret since dealers are clueless.
Rock
I always tow in alternate trailer height. Yep, you have to be stopped and you have to have enough weight on the truck before it will drop the inch.

Earl
Old 11-22-2019, 10:13 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Earl View Post
I always tow in alternate trailer height. Yep, you have to be stopped and you have to have enough weight on the truck before it will drop the inch. Earl
When I had my North Point I always used the alternate trailer height. It leveled me out perfectly. With the extra pin weight on my Pinnacle, I do not use the ATH and I'm at perfect level
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 10:41 AM   #16

Thanks guys. Now for MOPAR to get back to me on adding FW TPMS to truck.
Old 11-23-2019, 07:58 AM   #17

My set up; 2015 3500 Silverado LB 4x4 W/B&W hitch, 2015 Northpoint W/Moryde pinbox.
I took a level and set it across my bed rails and measured from the bottom of the level to the top of the hitch and got 4.75". I also measured from the C/L of the kingpin hole of the hitch to the inside edge of the bed rail and got 32".
Now, I went out and took measurements of the pinbox on the FW and got 32" from the C/L of the kingpin to the very back of the pinbox mount that comes down off the frame of the trailer. The bottom of the very back of the pinbox mount on the trailer doesnt hang very low. I took a measurement from the bottom of that to the bottom of the plate that the kingpin is attached to and got 5.5".
With all that being said I can cut my trailer a complete 90* and still clear my bed rails ONLY if the truck and trailer are on the same level surface and I'll have .75" of clearance between the bed rails and the bottom of the pinbox mount on the trailer. My Moryde pinbox seems like it's made long and thin for clearance issues like this and yet keeping heights and levelness in check.
This past summer I played around with my hitch height and measurements because I needed more clearance between the bed and trailer. I had 4.5" and raised my hitch up 1". Now I got 5.5" of clearance which makes things much better getting on and off sites and driving. The trailer is still rides fairly level but is just a slight bit nose high. I took a measurement from the ground to the top of my front A/C unit and I'm right at 13'-3".
We have one bridge here locally I wont go under. Its posted 13-6 but I know better. The open road bridges have always been fine but IF and WHEN I have to travel thru a major city, like Detroit, I stay in the left lane and dont care. Some of those bridges have some tight clearances but those clearances are measured from the right lane and they are arched bridges.
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 08:13 AM   #18

Bedrails

Seems to me that if one of the big three truck makers would come out with an option for lower bedrails for 5th wheel towing, they would sell like hotcakes.
Old 11-23-2019, 08:26 AM   #19

I agree.
In a way there kinda are trucks like that out there. It's called a Sport Chassis that VERY FEW of us can afford! Lol!
Old 11-23-2019, 08:29 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnati Kid View Post
Seems to me that if one of the big three truck makers would come out with an option for lower bedrails for 5th wheel towing, they would sell like hotcakes.
Technically they do, bed delete or cab chassis. Run naked or put a RV toter bed on it. Could also pull the bed and do either. I use my truck as a truck so I can't do the mentioned options.

Earl