Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-16-2018, 06:48 PM   #1

Looking at a new Jayco 317 RLOK

Looking at the possibility of purchasing a 317 RLOK. I currently have a Forest River. Any owners out there want to comment on this model as far things to look for or how livable the trailer is and quality of the trailer.
Rabidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 08:22 PM   #2

We have a 321RSTS which is basically the same chassis without the outside kitchen and the tv/fireplace swapped with the theater seats. We've been very pleased with the livability, towing, and quality. Almost bought the model you are considering.
bstannard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 10:24 AM   #3

I have a 2017 317 RLOK and think it is a great trailer. Not sure I need the outside kitchen but my grandchildren have watched television on it. Just got back from ten days to the Moab, Monument Valley, Capital Reef area of southeast Utah and it was a pleasure staying in it.
dmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 06:43 PM   #4

Thanks for the info does anyone think that the outside kitchen makes that slideout heavy ?
Old 04-17-2018, 06:46 PM   #5

I have been hearing more and more that Forest River products are problematic and cheaply built. What would you say given your first hand experience?
Old 04-18-2018, 06:06 AM   #6

We love our 317. As for the outside kitchen, I wouldn’t trade it. We have yet to cook inside, we bought a toaster oven that sits on the outside counter so between that and the stove top we’re good.
bender88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 06:23 AM   #7

We love our 317, the additional weight of the kitchen is minimal. We prefer to cook outside. We did not think we would use the outside refrigerator, but have found it to be useful, keeps us from going in and out of the trailer.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:18 AM   #8

Now that I have had one, I wouldn't have a trailer without an outside fridge. It's great while camping and when we pack up to leave we move all the leftover food to the outside fridge, makes it much easier to unload when we get home.
bender88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 12:28 PM   #9

Skybound I have had my current Forest River 5th wheel since 2012. It is a bunkhouse and now that the grandkids are in high school and we want to get something just for the wife and me to use in retirement. The current trailer is the second FR we have had the other a popup which we still have and use it for hunting and will pass it on to someone in the family. I really have never had any major issues with FR just the normal stuff water pump batteries nothing with the structure or construction. I like the Jayco floor plans and the quality appears to good. Of course if I buy I will look it over with a fine tooth comb just like any car or truck I purchase. I have the auto dealer put it on a lift and I check under it as well. I have read post on the FR forum about troubles with the product but that can happen with any product. If I don't like what I see I walk away and go somewhere else.
Old 04-18-2018, 01:32 PM   #10

My in-laws have the 2018 version, and they love it. In my opinion, size of the outdoor kitchen is lacking. If you get the trailer with 16" tires, it raises the counter so high that you may need a stool to access the overhead storage. Otherwise, I would definitely recommend this coach for living.
2014 Feather Ultra Lite X23B (sold)
IceOnFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 05:22 PM   #11

Got some numbers from the dealer on the 317 they want to charge 2429.00 for freight and 1050.00 for prep. Seems high what do you all think?
Old 04-19-2018, 06:38 PM   #12

Getting some numbers in order to work out a price I am willing to pay for this 317 trailer. They want 2429.00 for freight and 1050.00 for prep. Havent bought a trailer since 2012 this prices seem high any comments on these prices.
Old 04-19-2018, 06:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabidd View Post
Getting some numbers in order to work out a price I am willing to pay for this 317 trailer. They want 2429.00 for freight and 1050.00 for prep. Havent bought a trailer since 2012 this prices seem high any comments on these prices.
Hm, in my opinion, you shouldn’t have to pay for delivery or prep when buying from a reputable dealer.

Check for lowest price on RVTrader.com for same model and options. You should be able to get even lower pricing without any add on fees once discussing face to face with your dealer.

Todd
Just outside Philly
2018 377RLBH
2019 Ford F450 Platinum
Old Faithful: 2004 GMC Sierra 3500 Diesel Dually
Lowmiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 02:00 PM   #14
DGW

We've had ours for 3 months now, and we like everything about it....but a couple things to be aware of. Main thing is most people are ordering with residential fridge with inverter, but Jayco only gives you one battery which isn't enough power. Make the dealer install additional batteries as part of the deal. Upgraded tires are great, but it does make the outside kitchen a little bit higher....better tires are worth the tradeoff. Sanicon system is very cool, and I think worth the minimal extra cost, but I also keep spare hoses in the bumper just in case of failure. Bedroom AC is a must if you camp in the summer or in the South. Auto Leveling is worth every penny.
DGW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 04:15 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabidd View Post
Looking at the possibility of purchasing a 317 RLOK. I currently have a Forest River. Any owners out there want to comment on this model as far things to look for or how livable the trailer is and quality of the trailer.
Rabidd;

Have a 2018 317RLOK, color scheme is peppercorn, king bed, sanicon dump, rear camera, auto leveling, 14 ply tires w/TPMS. Trailer will turn 1 next month and then it has a 4 year extended warranty with Camping World. Used twice, total of 10 days, Southern Colorado and Las Vegas.
Comes with everything we've collected, hoses, cables, chairs, fuses, sewer connection and much more. Illness prevents us from using it. Outside kitchen used once, cooked with a grill on the cooktop. Trailer is immaculate, non smoking, no kids just two old farts. Great price, call if your interested (801) 244-3614.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:01 PM   #16

My Wife and I recently bought a 2018 Eagle 336fbok almost the same as the 317 except ours has a front bath and a half bath. This is our first Jayco and so far we love it. Knock on wood no problems. But it's only been a few weeks of camping.
flhtc05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 05:16 AM   #17

Hello,

I’m a new member here and really enjoying this forum.

We’re very seriously considering purchasing a left over 2017 317 RLOK (hard to beat the price!). It’s everything we’ve been looking for in a fifth wheel and optioned the way we would want, except for the 22 cu ft residential fridge. We’ve always had a standard RV fridge in our campers and never anything near as big as the fridge in this Jayco. We have never dry camped yet, but plan to do a little dry camping while touring the west in this unit.

Is this big fridge located on a slide with the shwintek system of any concern? Sometimes our traveling days can be 8 hours long, but our truck is a diesel with twin alternators so powering the fridge while traveling shouldn’t be an issue. Besides these two concerns, are there any other real reason to steer clear of this big residential fridge?

Thanks,
Dascro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 08:42 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dascro View Post

Is this big fridge located on a slide with the shwintek system of any concern? Sometimes our traveling days can be 8 hours long, but our truck is a diesel with twin alternators so powering the fridge while traveling shouldn’t be an issue. Besides these two concerns, are there any other real reason to steer clear of this big residential fridge?

Thanks,
We have the residential fridge & no problems (knock on a lot of wood) with the slide - has the fireplace & stove in the slide as well. We do not travel with the television mounted. Two batteries will last about 6-8 hours (dry camping) so make sure you have an alternative way to power it. When the campground (actually entire community) lost power, we left the inverter off & the fridge stayed cold all night. Of course, it was not 90+ degrees either.

We are getting a generator (ours came prepped) installed next month - we are getting a 7000 so hope that covers both the ACs, fridge & DW's coffee maker! We also have 4 batteries because we found out the hard way about only 2 batteries.

Enjoy!
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 09:39 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dascro View Post
Hello,

I’m a new member here and really enjoying this forum.

We’re very seriously considering purchasing a left over 2017 317 RLOK (hard to beat the price!). It’s everything we’ve been looking for in a fifth wheel and optioned the way we would want, except for the 22 cu ft residential fridge. We’ve always had a standard RV fridge in our campers and never anything near as big as the fridge in this Jayco. We have never dry camped yet, but plan to do a little dry camping while touring the west in this unit.

Thanks,
Our fridge has been in the slide of our last two units and we've never had a problem. We have the residential fridge and opted for 4 6V deep cycle batteries (Trojan T105) to ensure we don't have any problems with power when traveling. We recently had a couple of 9 and 10 hour travel days and the batteries were still almost fully charged when we plugged back in.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 10:52 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine71-76 View Post
We have the residential fridge & no problems (knock on a lot of wood) with the slide - has the fireplace & stove in the slide as well. We do not travel with the television mounted. Two batteries will last about 6-8 hours (dry camping) so make sure you have an alternative way to power it. When the campground (actually entire community) lost power, we left the inverter off & the fridge stayed cold all night. Of course, it was not 90+ degrees either.

We are getting a generator (ours came prepped) installed next month - we are getting a 7000 so hope that covers both the ACs, fridge & DW's coffee maker! We also have 4 batteries because we found out the hard way about only 2 batteries.

Enjoy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelly View Post
Our fridge has been in the slide of our last two units and we've never had a problem. We have the residential fridge and opted for 4 6V deep cycle batteries (Trojan T105) to ensure we don't have any problems with power when traveling. We recently had a couple of 9 and 10 hour travel days and the batteries were still almost fully charged when we plugged back in.
Thank you both for very helpful, experienced and informative replies. Your input is definitely helping us make this decision. Much appreciated!
Dascro is offline   Reply With Quote