Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-16-2012, 02:05 PM   #1

Question Looking for fuel mileage info and tire advice

Will be trading our 2005 Keystone Montana fiver next month for a (new) 2012 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 26.5RKS. Been wanting to "downsize" for awhile now and finally found a dealer that was nice enough (desperate) to give me the price I wanted. I gotta tell ya, I went through a lot of dealers and the prices that were quoted were many thousands of $ apart. I have found that it pays to be persistent.
I have a 2005 GMC Sierra 2500 4X4 Duramax that was a bit undersized for the pin weight of the Montana and I never felt comfortable towing it. That's what happens to a lot of "newbies", I'm sorry to say. But NOW, I am happy to say, I will have PLENTY of power and carrying capacity! I'm also hoping for a little better fuel mileage. I got 10.5 mpg pulling the Montana. Anyone out there venture to guess what my mileage will be with the Jayco?
I could also use some opinions from anyone about tires. I replaced the Marathon (aka Marabomb) tires on my Montana (with Hankooks) due to the horror stories I heard about them. Now, I learn that the Jayco has Marathons. I have a TPMS but do you think I should talk to the dealer about replacing the Marathons with something else, replace them myself after taking delivery of the Jayco or just deal with the Marathons and keep a watchful eye on them?
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:51 AM   #2

If I were in your shoes, having had a very bad experience with Marathons that looked great but were junk in reality, I would replace all 4 with Maxxis tires. I would also point out to the dealer the many many bad experiences reported even with new Marathons on this forum, and try to talk him into replacing them before you leave his lot. You might be able to work a deal that costs you less or even nothing, as opposed to replacing them later yourself, at full cost. It's worth a try, and even if he refuses, you haven't lost anything by asking. But either way, I would get rid of the marathons for safety's sake. JMHO
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:04 AM   #3

I can't tell you what mileage you should get with your new combination, but we own a 2012 GMC 2500HD D/A combo with a short-bed crew-cab. When we hook up our Jayco Eagle Superlite HT 26.5 RLS with our Crestliner behind and tow it to Grand Teton National Park, we get between 11.5 and 11.9 for the total trip. That usually includes at least a couple of trips sightseeing and putting the boat into and taking it out of the lake each day. I would say you mileage should increase a bit, but don't really have an idea of how much. I believe you will like your new trailer, it will be pretty roomy and probably a bit lighter than the Montana. Enjoy it.
2013 Polaris Sportsman 550 EXP
2008 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2
jal0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:08 AM   #4

So many variables go into fuel mileage, would be hard to say what if any improvement you might see. Aerodynamically, you still have a "brick on wheels" behind you. However, that brick has less mass to it than your previous fifth wheel, so you might see some improvement in your fuel mileage.

I traded an over 10000 pound (empty weight) fifth wheel for our Jayco White Hawk. The White Hawk presents a smaller aero profile and weighs over 5000 lbs less empty. I have an '05 Ram 3500 diesel with 4.10 rear axle and automatic. Haven't towed a long enough trip with the White Hawk to get a sense of fuel mileage, but the trip computer (not to be believed anyway as I know it's inaccurate by about 2 mpg on good day) is displaying a fuel "burn rate" of about 15 mpg with the White Hawk in tow at 60 mph. With the fifth wheel, our "real" mileage on long trips ranged anywhere from as bad as 9 mpg to as "good" as 11.5 mpg at 60 mph (manually calculated based on mileage driven between fuel stops). I run the tires at max. inflation pressure on the trailers and TV (partly to make sure tires are at maximum load bearing capacity and partly because a fully inflated tire has less rolling resistance).

Bottom line in my experience whatever the tow combo, my best mileage is achieved with consistent and moderate speed (55-60 mph) and fully inflated tires, using the cruise control whenever possible. As they say, your mileage may vary, but all these posts I read in other forums about phenomenal mileage towing heavy trailers at 70-75 mph I find hard to believe, because it takes energy to make speed; the more speed demanded, the more energy (fuel) consumed. As you log some miles with your new rig, you'll get a handle on what you're burning. Enjoy!!
thomasmnile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:44 PM   #5

Of course...your mileage may vary

I have the Jayco Eagle Super Lite 28.5RLS. Tow with a 07 Ram 2500 5.9 diesel, automatic, 3.73 rear end, 4x2. Average 13-14 mpg, 60-65 mph. Last trip during Thanksgiving saw 14.2 on the trip home. All hand calculated.

So depending on you rear end and the fact you are 4x4...I would guess around 12 mpg.

Please let us know when you have a chance to calculate.
krsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:09 PM   #6

I got an 321RLTS Jaycop Eagle, the rv was 11/2 years old and had to replace the Marathon tires. So if you can get the dearler to replace them, go for it. I tow it with 06 dodge mega cab 5.9l . Have no problems towing. As far as milage, all trucks are the same, when it gets to E they need more fuel. I went with the Maxxis 880 tires.
2012 Dodge 3500
US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population
rthibodaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:41 PM   #7

Troutslayer, as another member stated above, there are many variables that will ultimately decide your mileage but looking at your rig, I have basically the same TV and a slightly larger FW and I would think that you should easily gain at least a couple mpg from what you were getting with the Montana. I have been taking short trips the last couple years and averaging 12.5 mpg at 60mph. Can't offer any advice on the tires...still running my original USA made Marathons but will be replacing them next spring. Haven't start tire shopping yet but I will be looking at the Maxxis.
dg1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:10 PM   #8

Thanks for all the good feedback! As soon as I get some hard data on the actual mileage difference, I'll post it. Based on what you all have said, I think a tire discussion with the Dealer will be in order. I have heard from those who have Marathons and experienced no problems however, there are those who have had pretty serious blow outs that have caused substantial damage to their 5er. Life really IS an adventure
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:54 PM   #9

Just replace the stock wheels and tires with new 16" wheels and some light truck tires http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...eels-and-Tires

That is what we did and are really happy with it. As for mileage we get about 14mpg with our duramax pulling our Jayco Eagle super lite. I usually pull as fast as the conditions and speed limit allow 5mph over the posted limit. Just make sure you have the truck and trailer leveled properly and put a good light truck tire on and you will be good to go.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:45 PM   #10

I agree with j4nash on using LT tires instead of ST tires. I just don't trust ST tires anymore on a heavy RV. I know that NUWA (maker of the Hitchhiker Fifth Wheel) send out some of their fivers with LT tires straight from the factory.
rvrev2 is offline   Reply With Quote