Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2020, 03:26 PM   #1

Looking to install a dimmer switch on lights over recliners.

On our 2018 Eagle 355mbqs, the led lights are too bright sitting over our recliners. The dining table has a dimmer but the recliners don't. Pretty stupid. The dimmer over the table has a light beaming out of it and you touch it to turn on, off, and dim and brighten. I want to install one of those for the recliner lights so we can dim them as we want at night. Has anyone done this and can advise me? I'm surely no electrician but it can't be that hard. Does anyone have a link to a dimmer switch on Amazon that will work on what I want to do? Not sure about the wires and how many are involved and how they connect. Looking for advice. Thanks!
rkymntsno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 03:52 PM   #2

I went through the same thing with our living room/hallway LEDs......all 8 of them on full bright. So bought the dimmer below. in this link...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-DIMMER-...72.m2749.l2649

I read all kinds of complicated ways to hook it up since it's a three wire and said screw it and called an electrician I know. He hooked it up in 15 minutes! He simply took the black and white wires and tied them into ground wire from the lights and the red to the power. Super simple even if you get them crossed, just reverse them as long as the black and white wires are tied together. They work so well, I got one for the bedroom and hooked it up myself.

Below is a pic of the wiring. Since this switch is larger than the original, I had to do some triming of the wall opening...
Attached Thumbnails
Jayco switch wiring (Medium).jpg  
Andersen Ultimate w/Andersen Bed Shaft
SeventyGTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 03:56 PM   #3

Forgot to mention, the ebay sellers are half the price of the Amazon ones even though they are the same switch, so it was a no-brainer going through ebay.

They also make the dimmer switch with a much narrower dim control. I will get these to put where our current dining room and theater seating is. Ithooks up the same and will need less trimming of the wall, if any at all...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-Dimmer-...ss!89406!US!-1
Old 06-16-2020, 04:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventyGTX View Post
They also make the dimmer switch with a much narrower dim control. I will get these to put where our current dining room and theater seating is. I hooks up the same and will need less trimming of the wall, if any at all...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-Dimmer-...ss!89406!US!-1
Thanks for the info. I like this second one better, it's smaller. I think the one that emits the pinhole light is the same three wire as the one over our table too. But this smaller one you posted should work fine. Thanks again!
Old 06-16-2020, 04:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkymntsno View Post
Thanks for the info. I like this second one better, it's smaller. I think the one that emits the pinhole light is the same three wire as the one over our table too. But this smaller one you posted should work fine. Thanks again!
No problem, glad to help. I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out the wiring from Youtube vids. They were making it much more complicated than it was.

Just so you know, the same switch on Amazon is way over twice the price, which is why I went with ebay....

https://www.amazon.com/JR-Products-0...%2C227&sr=8-37
Old 06-16-2020, 04:20 PM   #6

Also, I think the one with the pinhole light you are referring to has to be pushed several times to get it where you want it. Plus some complain about the green light in the center being on all the time. The one I linked is on/off like a regular switch and variable by the slide.
Old 06-16-2020, 05:38 PM   #7

If the light you want to dim is LED be sure it is dimable. Not all LED's are dimable.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 06:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavie View Post
If the light you want to dim is LED be sure it is dimable. Not all LED's are dimable.

I've put dimmers on 80% of the LED lights in my Precept and all have been dimmable so far. Also, 100% of all the LED lights my lighting crews have installed in the last 6 years have been dimmable. That's about 2 million dollars worth of lights.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 06:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
I've put dimmers on 80% of the LED lights in my Precept and all have been dimmable so far. Also, 100% of all the LED lights my lighting crews have installed in the last 6 years have been dimmable. That's about 2 million dollars worth of lights.
That's you who knows the difference. That is NOT what the RV manufacturers install. You understand quality. They don't care about quality.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 06:28 PM   #10

Now thought that the switch that you have is also a dimmer, you hit the button and once it come on you lightly hold it and it should dim the lights unless I'm thinking about the wrong lights.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 07:21 PM   #11

These dimmers aren't cheap but they dim down to about 5%.
Attached Thumbnails
Dimmer (2).jpg   Dimmer (1).jpg   Dimmer Schematic.jpg  
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 10:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
These dimmers aren't cheap but they dim down to about 5%.
I put one above the dining table and couldn’t imagine life without it now.
Attached Thumbnails
79D1C300-8C57-4FB9-AD3A-A9DB3622632A.jpg   03A778D3-746E-4533-9CE7-7DF2F91C0280.jpg  

2017 Jay Flight 32BHDS
2006 GMC 2500HD Classic CC SB 4x4 6.6L Duramax/Allison
Vasquez Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 04:49 PM   #13

Quote:
I went through the same thing with our living room/hallway LEDs......all 8 of them on full bright. So bought the dimmer below. in this link...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-DIMMER-...72.m2749.l2649

I read all kinds of complicated ways to hook it up since it's a three wire and said screw it and called an electrician I know. He hooked it up in 15 minutes! He simply took the black and white wires and tied them into ground wire from the lights and the red to the power. Super simple even if you get them crossed, just reverse them as long as the black and white wires are tied together. They work so well, I got one for the bedroom and hooked it up myself.

Below is a pic of the wiring. Since this switch is larger than the original, I had to do some triming of the wall opening...
I bought this dimmer switch from ebay. Do you think I should wire it up the same way you did? It has the three wires and I think the current switch just has the two......
Attached Thumbnails
Dimmer 1.jpg   Dimmer 2.jpg  
Old 06-28-2020, 04:50 PM   #14

Please chime in if you're able to help me, lol.
Old 06-28-2020, 04:54 PM   #15

Quote:
Please chime in if you're able to help me, lol.
Yes, hook them up like I did in the pic a few posts up. Tie the black and white wires together and connect them to the upper wire on your current switch, the red on the lower. Works great in both I installed. You will have to trim your paneling a bit since the housing is a bit wider.
Old 06-29-2020, 02:27 PM   #16

Quote:
Yes, hook them up like I did in the pic a few posts up. Tie the black and white wires together and connect them to the upper wire on your current switch, the red on the lower. Works great in both I installed. You will have to trim your paneling a bit since the housing is a bit wider.
I took it apart from the wall. It appears there's a loop wire they spliced into and one direct wire to the switch. Not sure how to remove them and wire to the new 3-wire dimmer switch.
Attached Thumbnails
RV Light.jpg  
Old 06-29-2020, 02:44 PM   #17

Quote:
I took it apart from the wall. It appears there's a loop wire they spliced into and one direct wire to the switch. Not sure how to remove them and wire to the new 3-wire dimmer switch.
You basically have two wires coming out of the wall, correct? If so, just clip the upper one and connect the black and white wires from the new switch to it. Then the red one to the lower black wire.
Old 06-29-2020, 02:56 PM   #18

Not sure why you have that loop. I just went out and pulled one of mine I haven't replaced and it is like the two I have already done. Just two wires going straight to it.

Old 06-29-2020, 03:07 PM   #19

Quote:
Not sure why you have that loop. I just went out and pulled one of mine I haven't replaced and it is like the two I have already done. Just two wires going straight to it.

I know. So not sure how I go about this now. Can I cut the loop and join the two ends, then connect two of the new wires to the connected old two wires, and then the single wire on the old and new switch, join them?
Old 07-25-2020, 07:49 PM   #20

Dimmer Switch with 4 wires

I also have 355MBQS I purchased the dimmer switch with the four wires coming out of it. My bedroom also has a looped wire connected to the bottom of the original single pole switch and one to the top. I’m not sure what to do.
I pulled the switch in the living room that controls the lights over the recliners. It looks just like the bedroom switch. I’m lost on how to connect this 4 wire dimmer. It has the pin hole light in the middle of the touch control.
All the wires on the original switch are black and neither has a white stripe on the wires :/
Thanks in advance for any help!!!
ronnieb is offline   Reply With Quote