Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-08-2016, 10:53 AM   #1

Lowering leaf springs

Can someone tell me the steps to lowering the leaf springs to the bottom hole on my 2002 5er. Do I need to loosen and drop everything together. ( both axles) ?
Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 12:05 PM   #2

Sorry, I can't help with your question, but welcome to the JOF. Hopefully, someone with suspension experience will be along with something to offer.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 06:30 PM   #3

I would also like to have some information on this. I know what needs to happen. I'm
Looking more for jacking up the FW instructions and tools. Anything would help. Can I work on one bolt at a time, or do both tires have to be off the ground?
davisenvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 07:57 PM   #4

If it's a new unit, your dealer should handle it to assist in getting your setup corrected. Good luck, but I'd insist!
Krusegroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 11:36 PM   #5

I am in the process of moving my leaf springs to the bottom hole. I'm using 2 12 ton bottle jacks to lift one side at a time. Both tires need to be removed.
Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 05:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumber View Post
I am in the process of moving my leaf springs to the bottom hole. I'm using 2 12 ton bottle jacks to lift one side at a time. Both tires need to be removed.
It's prime camping season and the dealer would just slow me down. Good idea though.

I think I'm going to try the bottle jack idea. Did you have to use any blocks of wood to allow the jack to reach the frame?
Old 05-12-2016, 05:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumber View Post
This, except for the tires. If you can access the bolts no real need to remove the tires even.

Just put a bottle jack on the frame in front of and in back of the tires. Put enough upwards pressure so you can remove the bolts. Lift the fame high enough to then put the bolts back in the lower holes. Leaving the tires on will keep the axles from drooping out. Then again you could also use some jacket ands on the axles and remove the tires.

For safety, it would also be smart to keep some jacketands under the frame rails as you're jacking it up too.
oz97tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 06:07 AM   #8

Im probably a little overcautious, but I'm not in the market of a big investment getting damaged or dropped. You can see a few pictures in this thread of our rig off the ground with no tires for a wet bolt upgrade and cross member installation.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...e-30052-6.html

To get it up, I staged multiple sets of cribbing. Put 2 - 12 ton bottle jacks on the frame. Jacked one side up, cribbed, the other side up, cribbed etc until I got it high enough. Went up about an inch at a time. Once up, just used some floor jacks to raise / lower the axles into position. Did everything in sets (both rear bolts on rear axle, front bolts of rear axle, etc).

Being yours is a fifth wheel, do not rely on your landing gear to hold the front. Either block the frame / jack stand by them, or leave it hooked to the truck. The landing gear can and will fail sometimes, unless of course you're dealing with hydraulic legs.

Not the same project, but same concept. Might give you a few ideas. At least check the nylon bushing and bolt wear while you're doing all this. They don't last long.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 08:08 AM   #9

I was thinking since the frame is the furthest from the ground, could I jack up the FW by the axle/s on just one side, take the tires off, then lower the FW frame onto jack stands? I'm thinking this would let the side I'm working on a little closer to the ground allowing me to use jack stands. Then I could lower the springs, use the axle to jack the FW back up, put the tires back on and remove the jack stands. I would have the FW hooked to my truck while doing this.
I do all of my own mechanic work on my cars and my Duramax (tire rotating, brakes trans, exhaust, clutch, etc). This isn't my first time working on this kind of work. I't just my first working on something this tall, heavy and expensive.
Old 05-14-2016, 08:45 AM   #10

That could work. As long as you're safe about it, there are probably 100 different ways.
oz97tj is offline   Reply With Quote