Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-17-2021, 05:02 PM   #1

Lube Schwintek info

I just lubed my slides, so I thought I would take some pictures for those who don’t know, or for those still unsure what to do.

All that needs to be lubed are the couplers and the gibs with CRC PowerLube. The aluminum gear rack doesn’t get lubed.
The first picture is from underneath the kitchen slide, outside at bottom of the column. This is the only place you can see both gibs at the same time (and the only way to see them at all). The gibs are the little square silver things on each side of the roller. This is what holds the bearing block in place and lets it move sideways (if it needs to) to keep the gear held against the rack. There are four bearing blocks…at the top and bottom of each side of the slide with two gibs per bearing block.
The gibs need to be lubed so the bearing block will “free float” in the column. If you don’t lube the gibs, the bearing block will want to bind on the them and cause problems.

See how the gibs are in a “channel”, directly behind the rubber seal, in the area of the V roller middle, at the bottom edge of the rack (the aluminum rail screwed to the side of the slide). That’s where you want the lube to be spayed. Bend the tube, that comes with the spray can, and spray behind the seal and get it in that gib channel area.
As I said above, the bottom (outside) is the only place you can see both gibs in the bearing block. It’s easy to spray them both from here. The top bearing block you’ll have to do from the outside AND the inside, by pulling back the rubber seal and hooking the bent tube in behind.

The fourth picture is the top bearing block (from the outside) with the seal pulled back. That is the motor (silver tube) on the top of the bearing block…in the space above the aluminum gear rack is the coupler, you can’t see it (in the direction of my thumb and red arrow). You need to put the bent tube in that cavity and spray the coupler. Do it from the outside and the inside.
The gibs would be at the bottom of that bearing block ( at the bottom edge of the aluminum gear rack) even with the middle of that V roller.

The last picture is rubber seal conditioner spray. I always spray all the seals..sides, top and bottom. I never did this with my SOB and the top ones rotted from the sun. I never knew, until it was too late, because I couldn’t see them.
Spraying the side sliding seals let’s the slide travel easier with less friction.

Hope this helps someone avoid a stranding slide failure, or a failure right before a trip.
Attached Thumbnails
4A55D1D0-365A-410E-A700-0B2C34C83A27.jpg   3CE6C6A3-6720-4D7E-BAF0-D24C58A3A224.jpg   C0616DBE-E16D-4F28-BDE7-2A523046A735.jpg   0D250D18-96A5-40DA-BDD4-447BE8F8F60E.jpg   517925B0-A5A1-4E58-A863-E72A7EF666EA.jpg  

2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 05:44 PM   #2

Good job Klassic!

2016 Pinnacle 36 KPTS
2016 F350 Lariat CC LB dually 6.7
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 09:04 AM   #3

Thanks for a post that I'm sure many will find useful!
2019 Jayco Jayflight 28RLS (New York)
The latest government survey finds that 3 out of 4 people account for 75% of the total population.
JB13502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 09:13 AM   #4

Great post. On my 26xd I'm trying to lube the inside gib and rollers but I can't reach them. The only way I can get to them is to partially extend the slide but it seems that I'm not supposed to stop extending the slide until it completes the full cycle of extend or retract then hold the button for 5 seconds. Apparently if I stop half way it messes up the syncronalization. Or something. Just no way to get to the inside items to lube them up. I must be not understanding something.
Old 06-18-2021, 09:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docsouce View Post
Great post. On my 26xd I'm trying to lube the inside gib and rollers but I can't reach them. The only way I can get to them is to partially extend the slide but it seems that I'm not supposed to stop extending the slide until it completes the full cycle of extend or retract then hold the button for 5 seconds. Apparently if I stop half way it messes up the syncronalization. Or something. Just no way to get to the inside items to lube them up. I must be not understanding something.
Actually, we have been told the same thing but have witnessed RV techs partially extend to work underneath.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 09:51 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docsouce View Post
I partially open them all the time. I see no harm in it. They just start up again and if one motor lagged a little bit it would sync up again.
I certainly would pick lubing over the slight chance they lost sync.
Old 06-18-2021, 10:01 AM   #7

Thanks, I thoroughly agree. Just thought I'd double check. We're heading out for 3 months on the road and I didn't want to get into an Oops situation while preparing.
Old 06-18-2021, 10:23 AM   #8

adding in the video from Lippert re slide lubrication as reference material.

atlantaM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 07:16 PM   #9

Thanks guys. Getting ready to do this tomorrow before our trip.

Happy RVing,
Jeff
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 05:20 AM   #10

When I lube mine, I simply pull the flap back and spray slide lube on the entire area. I do this all from the outside with the slides extended. Not as precise as bending the tube, etc, but still gets lubrication for those parts.
ShotgunZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 06:26 AM   #11

Great write up. At 46 I must be getting old because I prefer a textual write up with photos vs a video. This was a better description than the video Google usually pulls up. I’ve been doing it right, but had I seen this first it would’ve saved me multiple runs through the video. Thanks.

On a side note, I’ve been using WD40 with PTFE. We were on the road that’s what was available. Seems to be working well. I hit mine every few months.
2022 Chevy 3000HD Dmax
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 07:41 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoser View Post
Great write up. At 46 I must be getting old because I prefer a textual write up with photos vs a video. This was a better description than the video Google usually pulls up. I’ve been doing it right, but had I seen this first it would’ve saved me multiple runs through the video. Thanks.

On a side note, I’ve been using WD40 with PTFE. We were on the road that’s what was available. Seems to be working well. I hit mine every few months.
I was the same with the video, that’s why I did this. After watching it I didn’t know what the heck a gib was and why it needed to be lubed.
After studying pictures and the schematic of the Schwintek parts, I realized how it worked.
I always wanted to take it apart to see how it worked.
There’s another video out there of them installing one on a mock up slide. That’s when it became a little more clear