Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-12-2019, 10:47 AM   #1

Macerator vs open gray hose

377RLBH with the macerator Sani-Con System.

We went on out first trip, a short two day trip. We both enjoyed the endless hot shower. Before I knew if the gray tank was full (actually over full and leaking!).

In our old travel trailer I would hook up the sewer hose and leave the grey tank valve open. Never had to work about the tank getting too full.

I think the macerator gives you false peace of mind. If I have to use the macerator every day I might was well hook up the conventional sewer hose and open the grey valve and just use the macerator when the black tank needs emptying.

Am I missing something???

Thanks
Chopperdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 11:47 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopperdoc View Post
377RLBH with the macerator Sani-Con System.

We went on out first trip, a short two day trip. We both enjoyed the endless hot shower. Before I knew if the gray tank was full (actually over full and leaking!).

In our old travel trailer I would hook up the sewer hose and leave the grey tank valve open. Never had to work about the tank getting too full.

I think the macerator gives you false peace of mind. If I have to use the macerator every day I might was well hook up the conventional sewer hose and open the grey valve and just use the macerator when the black tank needs emptying.

Am I missing something???

Thanks
If you have two grey tanks you should be able to go 2 - 3 days before needing to empty them, at least that's been the experience with just the two of us. If you use the regular hose and leave your grey tank/tanks open then you would not have grey water to flush the macerator hose after dumping the black tank. I leave the macerator hose hooked up to the sewer dump all the time. When I need to dump I just open the valve/valves and flip the switch. Doesn't get easier or cleaner than that!!
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 02:56 PM   #3

After 2 years we have only used the macerator pump, my 3” flex is still brand new. When on hook ups I just turn it on once a day and drain the tanks if needed. After having 4 other rv’s, I consider having the macerator pump the best rv option I’ve ever had.
Old 02-12-2019, 04:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHen View Post
After 2 years we have only used the macerator pump, my 3” flex is still brand new. When on hook ups I just turn it on once a day and drain the tanks if needed. After having 4 other rv’s, I consider having the macerator pump the best rv option I’ve ever had.
Ditto!!
Formerly from Sequim, WA
Old 02-12-2019, 04:42 PM   #5

I hook my Sanicon hose up and open the grey valve. Then the night before we leave I close the grey water valve and build it up to flush the black. Haven't had any issue yet. Since the hose is lower then the fitting the low points on the hose act as a trap and I dont get any odor as some people get with the regular hoses. Been doing this for two years and no issue yet. I have the large hose for emergencies in case the sanicon stops working, but have never used it. Several times when camping with friends I drive in the wrong way on the site so we can face each other. I then use a 3/4 in hose off the sanicon fitting and pump into the sewer 40' away. Certainly could not easily do that with a regular hose.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 08:21 AM   #6

I can think of two things to try that might help.

For us, the biggest generator of gray water is by far the shower. So you could just leave the other gray tanks shut and open that one. That way you still have some gray water to help flush things out after dumping the black tank.

What I did was to add one of these to our waste outlet and then open all three of my gray tanks and let them balance between them.

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T58-...te+valve&psc=1

On my Eagle TT, with the three gray tanks (bath, kitchen, W/D), I can go at least 2-3 days before having to empty them, even with our Truma tankless WH and taking longer showers. Basically, turns my individual, smaller gray tanks into one very large one, in my case approx. 105 gallons.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:04 AM   #7

Im shocked how much some worry about or fiddle with sewer. I always chuckle a little when I see people pull in and sewer is one of the first things that get hooked up. I dont even pull out the sewer hose till day two or three then i only dump gray/shower tank #1. Maybe dump some of #2 galley grey. I let the black get tank get 3/4 - full before dumping, this makes for a better dump flush then flush out lines with grey water shower last.
Wife and tucker the fishing dog
starcraft69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 09:20 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by blujay40 View Post

For us, the biggest generator of gray water is by far the shower. So you could just leave the other gray tanks shut and open that one. That way you still have some gray water to help flush things out after dumping the black tank.

What I did was to add one of these to our waste outlet and then open all three of my gray tanks and let them balance between them.

On my Eagle TT, with the three gray tanks (bath, kitchen, W/D), I can go at least 2-3 days before having to empty them, even with our Truma tankless WH and taking longer showers. Basically, turns my individual, smaller gray tanks into one very large one, in my case approx. 105 gallons.
Bluejay40, thanks for that tip! Our kitchen tank seems to be the one that will fill first. Just ordered one of those!
Formerly from Sequim, WA
Old 02-13-2019, 09:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by blujay40 View Post

Unless I am mistaken, My 2018 377RLBH only has one grey tank.

Vic
Old 02-20-2019, 11:02 AM   #10

I was wrong about the number of grey tanks on my 377. What I thought was a clogged kitchen sink turned out to be a completely full second gray tank!

Once I emptied the unknown until then tank the mysterious clog went away.

Imagine than!!
Old 02-26-2019, 06:18 PM   #11

youre' not missing anything...……..that's one of the reasons I did not oreder it on my new unit. Had one on the MH prior to the Pinnacle and it wasn't worth the trouble. Ive got two grey tanks on the FBTS and pretty much leave the front one open all the time. It catches the shower. frt. sinks and the washer. No way I could get more then a couplke days out of it closed.
B&W Companion Hitch
Westyray is offline   Reply With Quote