Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-04-2022, 11:03 AM   #1

Main A/C wont run on Generator

I have a 2022 Eagle with a Main and Bedroom AC. On shore power both work fine, on generator the Bed AC works but the Main I can't even get the fan to work. As soon as I plug back into Shore everything works fine. I have an Onan 5500 gen. Need suggestions
sewalt11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 11:59 AM   #2

Each AC will run off a different leg of your power feed so I am guessing that the leg to your dead AC is open.

The most obvious source where this loss can occur is in the transfer switch. With no power applied (shore or generator), open up the transfer switch and look for loose or burnt connections. Make sure all connections are clean and tight. Loose connections in the transfer switch is somewhat a common problem.

If nothing is obviously wrong you will need to measure the voltage coming from the generator to the transfer switch. You will have a potential voltage of 240 volts (2 120 volt legs) so you need to know what you are doing.

Other possibilities are a bad generator with a missing leg or maybe a partially tripped breaker on the generator. Cycle the circuit breaker on the generator.
Attached Thumbnails
Voltmeter.JPG  

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 12:40 PM   #3
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
Each AC will run off a different leg of your power feed so I am guessing that the leg to your dead AC is open.

The most obvious source where this loss can occur is in the transfer switch. With no power applied (shore or generator), open up the transfer switch and look for loose or burnt connections. Make sure all connections are clean and tight. Loose connections in the transfer switch is somewhat a common problem.

If nothing is obviously wrong you will need to measure the voltage coming from the generator to the transfer switch. You will have a potential voltage of 240 volts (2 120 volt legs) so you need to know what you are doing.

Other possibilities are a bad generator with a missing leg or maybe a partially tripped breaker on the generator. Cycle the circuit breaker on the generator.
Can he test the transfer switch by plugging in shorepower and then with both a/c's running , start the gen., doesn't the system default to the gen.? I'm in a 30 amp. and mine transfers to the gen. even though I'm plugged in.
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 12:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyrlef View Post
Can he test the transfer switch by plugging in shorepower and then with both a/c's running , start the gen., doesn't the system default to the gen.? I'm in a 30 amp. and mine transfers to the gen. even though I'm plugged in.
I have 30 amp also and the transfer switch will transfer to generator power when it senses voltage on the generator line.

I would highly not recommend switching over with high loads applied. You will definitely arc and spark the transfer switch contacts. A few amps of load is not a problem but if you are pulling 15 amps and switch over you could create a problem. There is also a momentary loss of power during the switchover which the ACs may not like.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 01:19 PM   #5

My thought (along with what was already shared) is that perhaps there is a PMS Power Management System that is shedding power when on generator power. I don't have a PMS and can't share any configuration details, however if yours has a PMS that has the ability to shed power, I would check the configuration of it and make sure that it isn't the reason for only one A/C running when using the generator. ~CA
Old 09-04-2022, 01:45 PM   #6
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
I have 30 amp also and the transfer switch will transfer to generator power when it senses voltage on the generator line.

I would highly not recommend switching over with high loads applied. You will definitely arc and spark the transfer switch contacts. A few amps of load is not a problem but if you are pulling 15 amps and switch over you could create a problem. There is also a momentary loss of power during the switchover which the ACs may not like.
I see, since he said not even the fan will run on gen., couldn't he plug in, switch to fan only, as the fan is pulling negligible amps, with the bedroom a/c off and then start the gen. If the fan goes off after the transfer, wouldn't that isolate the likely problem in the transfer switch?
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 01:59 PM   #7

Quote:

X2 Your prior post is a good place to start, but only if the person has experience with LIVE AC power and the proper test equipment and knowledge of it's use. IF not, then they should find a qualified person to do the troubleshooting.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 04:18 PM   #8

Are both your genset line breakers closed?

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 09:18 PM   #9

Had a similar problem and one of the two breakers located on the Onan generator was tripped. Snapped it back on and everything worked. No reason why it tripped because the last time the gen was used everything worked. Hasnít happened since either so maybe was not fully snapped on from when I picked it up new.
Randyman69357 is offline   Reply With Quote