Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-12-2019, 07:52 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan617 View Post
Great, thanks! Got it passed through the floor of house and it's on the appropriations bill for Christmas. Before that are the Roadmaster Shocks for the RV and likely Timberens for the truck. Oh, and TPMS for the RV- Driving safety always comes first to protect the fur-babies. The Garmin 770 is approved for my birthday in October- about the time I quit the job and we hit the road FT. Bi-partisan support from the cats and dogs- as long as in does not bite into the kibble budget.
Angus
Washington, DC could learn something from you guys
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 04:26 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRUEBBE View Post
Angus, I got the Compact lock because of concerns with the larger door window in the Pinnacle...........fit perfectly.
Just curious, is the "Compact" size thinner than the regular size? Reason I'm asking is we can't get the regular size to work on our 317RLOK model because the lock/latch is too thick and our entry door handle won't snap back into place and lay flush against the door. I'm wondering if the compact size would work. And the compact size, is this the one they normally sell for Class A MH? Is that what you're referring to? Thanks.
mrlarson59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 05:39 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlarson59 View Post
Just curious, is the "Compact" size thinner than the regular size? Reason I'm asking is we can't get the regular size to work on our 317RLOK model because the lock/latch is too thick and our entry door handle won't snap back into place and lay flush against the door. I'm wondering if the compact size would work. And the compact size, is this the one they normally sell for Class A MH? Is that what you're referring to? Thanks.
What I was told by RV Lock is the compact is not quite as big as the regular one. The longer window in some RV doors my interfere with the larger lock. I guess I would need to see a picture of what you are referring to. When you are talking about the "entry door handle", I assume you are referring to the RV lock handle?
Formerly from Sequim, WA
Old 07-12-2019, 05:42 PM   #24

If you look at the picture I posted in this thread, you can see my door window which if I had tried to install the standard (wider) handle, my have not fit flush because of the window. I didn't want to take the chance so I ordered the compact version.
Formerly from Sequim, WA
Old 07-17-2019, 11:51 AM   #25

Had To Replace My Main Door Latch

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbvano View Post
I've had a problem with my main door latch from day one and have fought it constantly, wondering if any one else has had the same problem and if so how they resolved it.

My latch is constantly changing position inside the cutout which seems like it was cut to large leading to the door not latching easily if at all. I've tried adding washers behind the plate the bolt goes through, tightening the screws, etc. These have all proved to be only temporary fixes.
I had to finally have my main door latch replaced and it is working OK now but I don't have much faith in the design. Winnebago seems to offer better door latches. I have inquired into having their latch product installed on my Jayco.
hikerjohn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 12:29 PM   #26

We had the same problem and had to slam the door to close it. We sprayed WD40 into lock and now it works perfectly l. Closes easily. Maybe just luck but worth a try.
Golf1322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 12:58 PM   #27

Got an idea.
Get some ¼ inch thick plastic sheet from a big box.
Remove handle from RV, then trace the mounting brackets of the handle and the screw holes.
Cut and drill ¼ inch plastic and you'll have 2 ¼ inch spacers for the handle mounts. Reattach and you should be good to go.Name:  20190717_143651.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  4.3 KBClick image for larger version

Name:	20190717_143729.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	51663
eLCruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 01:00 PM   #28

My lock on my Jayco Travel Trailer has been fine but when new it had to be closed a bit harder to latch. As the seals got compressed with age it worked easier. I helped a friend with their new Columbus that had a door that was hard to close when new. I adjusted the striker plate slightly and it helped but was still a bit tight. After using it every day for a week or so the seals compressed and it closed fine.

As for the flex people are talking about, my trailer has manual levelers and if I overtighten one too much some of my doors don't close properly. I just loosen one slightly and tighten the other and it fixes the problem.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 01:13 PM   #29

Ours is 2019 Greyhawk. Does not look as if the lock pins are lined up and YES you have to slam it, if you don’t then opening it is a new adventure. I want the keyless system but I will get Jayco fix door when they install keyless system that should have come with it. Slamming door is not the answer. @jaycorvs
Patchesrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 01:28 PM   #30

Main Door Latch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf1322 View Post
We had the same problem and had to slam the door to close it. We sprayed WD40 into lock and now it works perfectly l. Closes easily. Maybe just luck but worth a try.
Most of the problem is due to the crude design of the latch components and features that go into the door frame. The mount hole is not precision machined and it has screws that can come loose and allow the engagement of the door components to get out of adjustment with the frame. It amazes me that, as innovative as some of the RV industry manufacturers are, they have failed to improve some components for over 50 years. Ford is just about as bad. They have made big improvements in their engines and transmissions but are still putting our chassis that have archaic dashboard controls and displays that are decades behind what they are putting in their autos.
Old 07-17-2019, 01:30 PM   #31

Why aren’t you taking it in for warranty repair?

We had an issue with ours and it turned out to be the hinges were bending a bit and, over time, it would move the door too close to the striker.

Now that they fixed it once, I know how to adjust it back too.

If it’s a cut-out issue, they need to get you a new door.
Old 07-17-2019, 01:33 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbvano View Post
I've had a problem with my main door latch from day one and have fought it constantly, wondering if any one else has had the same problem and if so how they resolved it.

My latch is constantly changing position inside the cutout which seems like it was cut to large leading to the door not latching easily if at all. I've tried adding washers behind the plate the bolt goes through, tightening the screws, etc. These have all proved to be only temporary fixes.
Our 2018 43’ Jayco North-point is equipped with
two entrances, both doors did not shut easily.
After a few months living in our trailer, we
collected a list of things that needed fixing, so
our RV service center came out to the RV Resort
and went down the punch list, adjusting each item.
Both door entrances locks are fixed and doors easily
shut and lock.
redley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 01:33 PM   #33

Door lock on Jayco slamming it closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaandDon View Post
X2 on the lubricant. Use liberally and often. I lube my every season (x4). Seams to help a lot.

Someone took their latch/lock apart, trimmed the spring and reinstalled. try the search option.
The only way ours closes is slamming it too. I have taken the lock apart and lubed but it did not help. Took apart again and the spring went flying only to never find it again. Still requires a slam and most of the time twice.

If I take the (sorry dont know what it is called) the metal piece that's on the hole in the door frame the lock mechanism enters into, it works just fine and no slamming. But the frame has already been cut so close to edge of frame that if one cuts or files anymore off, it will damage door frame forever. Jayco Eagle 321RSTS 2018
JayBees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 01:50 PM   #34

I had to readjust my strikeplate last nite. My unit is a .2016 Jayfeather FQSW.I had a 2010 Jayfeather . Both trailers have entry in the rear. I noticed when I have the unit stabilized with jacks,I need be careful to not OVER JACK on the entry side. It DOES cock the alignment.
mikesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 03:25 PM   #35

Main door latch

Quote:
Originally Posted by aplunkett View Post
Why aren’t you taking it in for warranty repair?

We had an issue with ours and it turned out to be the hinges were bending a bit and, over time, it would move the door too close to the striker.

Now that they fixed it once, I know how to adjust it back too.

If it’s a cut-out issue, they need to get you a new door.

That's what I did and it works OK now with a brand new latch. But, like I said, I check it regularly because I think if can easily get out of adjustment. For instance, the screws that anchor the door frame lock plate get loose from time to time and I have to tighten them. But I have to be careful to make sure the alignment has not changed when I retighten. It's not a reliable design. Automobile locks, for instance, are very reliable and seldom require maintenance. I was just decrying why the RV industry can't do better.
Old 07-17-2019, 03:48 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikerjohn7 View Post
That's what I did and it works OK now with a brand new latch. But, like I said, I check it regularly because I think if can easily get out of adjustment. For instance, the screws that anchor the door frame lock plate get loose from time to time and I have to tighten them. But I have to be careful to make sure the alignment has not changed when I retighten. It's not a reliable design. Automobile locks, for instance, are very reliable and seldom require maintenance. I was just decrying why the RV industry can't do better.
There are lots of things they could do better but it would take time and money. Since most customers are looking for the cheapest price they save anything that they can to be as competitive as possible. If you want the best they can do be prepared to pay for it. There are units out there with a lot of perks but most of us can't justify the price for the amount of time it is used.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 04:02 PM   #37

I forgot to get CW when I took it in for warranty..
They kept it 3 weeks and didn’t work on it until the day of pick up. We asked Jayco for repairs but they denied like wrinkles in roof. CW said it needs replacement but Jayco turned it down stating if it’s not leaking then it’s dying it’s job. BS but nothing I can do about it. It goes out of warranty in October and maybe next time out I will swing it by
JayBees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 04:09 PM   #38

Our 5er door shuts good. But when I installed the RV lock, things went south. It sucked. I couldn't get it adjusted right. And the only thing that locks electronically is the one slide. To lock the handle you have to use the key to have both locks locked. Defeats the purpose if ya gotta pull a key out to finish locking it. I sent it back and got a refund. I want more than just that one small piece of metal sliding over and I'm not gonna pull a key out to lock the other part. Not for that price.
rkymntsno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 04:48 PM   #39

I never slam my door. That could be a problem. I pull the handle, push the door closed and release the handle.
bgelyhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 05:00 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkymntsno View Post
Our 5er door shuts good. But when I installed the RV lock, things went south. It sucked. I couldn't get it adjusted right. And the only thing that locks electronically is the one slide. To lock the handle you have to use the key to have both locks locked. Defeats the purpose if ya gotta pull a key out to finish locking it. I sent it back and got a refund. I want more than just that one small piece of metal sliding over and I'm not gonna pull a key out to lock the other part. Not for that price.
Yes, it just locks the dead bolt. That's all I ever locked when I had the OEM lock.
Formerly from Sequim, WA