Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-08-2019, 08:56 AM   #1

Main door latch

I've had a problem with my main door latch from day one and have fought it constantly, wondering if any one else has had the same problem and if so how they resolved it.

My latch is constantly changing position inside the cutout which seems like it was cut to large leading to the door not latching easily if at all. I've tried adding washers behind the plate the bolt goes through, tightening the screws, etc. These have all proved to be only temporary fixes.
dbvano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 09:57 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbvano View Post
I've had a problem with my main door latch from day one and have fought it constantly, wondering if any one else has had the same problem and if so how they resolved it.

My latch is constantly changing position inside the cutout which seems like it was cut to large leading to the door not latching easily if at all. I've tried adding washers behind the plate the bolt goes through, tightening the screws, etc. These have all proved to be only temporary fixes.
Maybe something to fill the void if they cut it too big??
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 08:10 PM   #3

Problems too. Have to slam door shut

I agree with you. We have to SLAM our door to get it to shut. My hubby has scared the heck out of me so many times. I guess the upside is no teenagers can sneak in after staying out past curfew. 😂
If anyone has some ideas to help with this issue I’d love to know what can help.

Oh, and along this same line we installed the keyless RVLock and it turned out to be a not so easy install for us. First off plate for door jam didn’t line up so had to order a different door jam plate. Then we finally get it installed and now our entrance handle that locks into place won’t lock in place because new lock mechanism is too thick. This is especially important when driving down the road because the handle locks door in place for added protection. I just emailed RVLock hope they have a solution because I really like the keyless entry
mrlarson59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 09:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlarson59 View Post
I agree with you. We have to SLAM our door to get it to shut. My hubby has scared the heck out of me so many times. I guess the upside is no teenagers can sneak in after staying out past curfew. ��
If anyone has some ideas to help with this issue I’d love to know what can help.

Oh, and along this same line we installed the keyless RVLock and it turned out to be a not so easy install for us. First off plate for door jam didn’t line up so had to order a different door jam plate. Then we finally get it installed and now our entrance handle that locks into place won’t lock in place because new lock mechanism is too thick. This is especially important when driving down the road because the handle locks door in place for added protection. I just emailed RVLock hope they have a solution because I really like the keyless entry
I installed the Key Less RV lock and had similar problems. Had to adjust the latch several times. Works flawlessly now......contact RV Lock. They are very helpful!

rv
Formerly from Sequim, WA
Old 07-09-2019, 09:54 PM   #5

Quote:
I agree with you. We have to SLAM our door to get it to shut. My hubby has scared the heck out of me so many times. I guess the upside is no teenagers can sneak in after staying out past curfew. 😂

For the door slamming issue, shoot some WD-40 or equivalent lubricant into the door latch mechanism. This has worked great for me.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:39 AM   #6

X2 on the lubricant. Use liberally and often. I lube my every season (x4). Seams to help a lot.

Someone took their latch/lock apart, trimmed the spring and reinstalled. try the search option.
Attached Thumbnails
Dry Lube.jpg  

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 07:59 AM   #7

RVLock support

Emailed them late last night. They already responded. They said no work around for the door handle issue. I’m so bummed!! I really like the keyless entry.
We only need about a 1/4” spacer to get the handle to lock into place.
Any suggestions? We have a factory 5th wheel so I just have a hard time believing no one else has had this issue
Old 07-10-2019, 08:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Emailed them late last night. They already responded. They said no work around for the door handle issue. I’m so bummed!! I really like the keyless entry.
We only need about a 1/4” spacer to get the handle to lock into place.
Any suggestions? We have a factory 5th wheel so I just have a hard time believing no one else has had this issue
I think it would help if you gave the year & model of your 5th wheel.
Formerly from Sequim, WA
Old 07-10-2019, 08:15 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRUEBBE View Post
I think it would help if you gave the year & model of your 5th wheel.
2019 Jayco 317RLOK is our 5th wheel model. Sorry forgot to include that
Old 07-10-2019, 12:49 PM   #10

Quote:
2019 Jayco 317RLOK is our 5th wheel model. Sorry forgot to include that
I have this same unit, and have problems with the door being hard to close. I noticed this past trip thats its only this way once the auto level is done. If I open the door before the levelers are down we have no problem.
Chris Wendt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 03:32 PM   #11

After readjusting my striker numerous times, I finally took it off and used my dremel and a file to open up the striker area. You can then get enough opening to readjust the striker. I also had to remove some of the material in the opening behind the striker to allow the latch to lock into. When Jayco puts the striker on the door frame, it is to far in so the door needs to pushed hard to lock. Works great now.
RipinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 04:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wendt View Post
I have this same unit, and have problems with the door being hard to close. I noticed this past trip thats its only this way once the auto level is done. If I open the door before the levelers are down we have no problem.
Which of course implies that the trailer frame is flexing.

Others on these forums have also commented on things not opening or closing correctly once the levelers are down on Jayco trailers.

Personally, I wish they'd put more quality into their units, both in materials selected and fit and finish. I'd be willing to pay more for quality if it meant foregoing options.

For this particular issue, I would think it would be something that could be fixed by removing the hardware and filing (or cutting with a power tool) the openings to the correct size to allow proper closing, no matter what position the levelers are in

I've had to do similar mods several times over the years with my house, due to changing lockset hardware or due to structure settling.

It's not hard to do.
Learner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 04:23 PM   #13

The only thing I did to help making shutting the door easier was to bend the strike plate toward the outside.
Attached Thumbnails
20190710_151313-1470x3024.jpg  
Formerly from Sequim, WA
Old 07-10-2019, 04:48 PM   #14

That is the area I had to remove to get the door to latch. Also my door would not latch when it was level or not leveled.
RipinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 11:32 AM   #15

It's a little thing, but when adjusting things like strike plates, are y'all using Locktite thread sealant on the screws and plate when making adjustments? It will help keep adjustments in place despite any slamming of the door.

If using Locktite, use the BLUE formula, not red. Blue can be undone and readjusted as long as the screws are not rounded out and your driver bits are sharp. Do not use red formula as it is permanent and cannot be undone without heat and destructive force.

Just to mess with you, the Blue formula comes in a red tube, but has the word "BLUE" in blue ink. Potentially confusing.

We have and RVLock on the wishlist but this thread is giving me some pause.

Al, at the end of the day after your mods and adjustments, is your RVLock working to your satisfaction?

Angus
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 03:10 PM   #16

Really bummed, contacted RV Lock, no work around. Our Entry door handle that bends in when traveling hit the lock and so it won't lay flush against the door.
Have to send it back. We're past the 30 day return policy, but they're allowing us to return it because we had 2 problems to overcome, first was stricker plate on door jam, now the handle issue. Plus was at dealership for warranty work so we didn't have access to rig for awhile.
SO much for the luxury of keyless entry!
2019 Jayco Eagle model 317RLOK
Old 07-11-2019, 05:04 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan617 View Post
Al, at the end of the day after your mods and adjustments, is your RVLock working to your satisfaction?Angus
Working fine Angus............as long as I remember to push the lock button to lock and vice versa
Formerly from Sequim, WA
Old 07-11-2019, 05:39 PM   #18

Thanks Al
So I should have asked before; What model of RV Lock did you finally use that worked on your Pinnacle? I've had this provisionally approved by the House Ways and Means Committee.

Angus
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
Old 07-11-2019, 05:54 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan617 View Post
Thanks Al
So I should have asked before; What model of RV Lock did you finally use that worked on your Pinnacle? I've had this provisionally approved by the House Ways and Means Committee.Angus
Angus, I got the Compact lock because of concerns with the larger door window in the Pinnacle...........fit perfectly.
Attached Thumbnails
20190711_164622-3024x1470.jpg  
Formerly from Sequim, WA
Old 07-12-2019, 06:07 AM   #20

Great, thanks! Got it passed through the floor of house and it's on the appropriations bill for Christmas. Before that are the Roadmaster Shocks for the RV and likely Timberens for the truck. Oh, and TPMS for the RV- Driving safety always comes first to protect the fur-babies. The Garmin 770 is approved for my birthday in October- about the time I quit the job and we hit the road FT. Bi-partisan support from the cats and dogs- as long as in does not bite into the kibble budget.
Angus
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats