Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-10-2016, 07:36 AM   #11

When my rig came in I had, potential, brake problems (long story)
I heard the service manager talking to Jayco and said they WILL NOT RELEASE THIS UNIT to the customer because of the liability the dealer can face if there is an unsafe braking situation.
Jayco approved a total detailed brake inspection and to sand the shoes.

You are in a bad situation now because you've already towed your rig. I believe you, but as far as someone else is concerned maybe you drove with your controller maxed and your foot on the brake.
Hope it works out for you.

klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 07:38 AM   #12

Glad you have a great service department. Just curious, are they putting in a claim to replace the melted wheel too? Seems it should be covered too.

SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 07:52 AM   #13

Jayco is replacing the rim and tire have only towed twice and like I have said when I found the left front heating up the other three ran no hotter than 150 after stopping. When driving got good mileage, controller zero volts and no stray current at plug. When towing and stopping all seemed good. What ever happened took place before I got it. Told dealer I did not think breakaway came on that the tow from factory probably had there controller to max to save there brakes and left front had out of round drum to cause over adjustment driving. If not for the left front being hot would never of found the wear and groves on the others
Rock
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 06:30 AM   #14

Brake issues can be serious as we all know and not always obvious. When my Designer was brand new I never thought it braked right. I couldn't put my finger on it, but just not right. Fortunately I never had to make a panic stop at that point or the result could have been much different.

Finally one day I saw a mobile RV repair guy in the park where I was hosting that I knew from previous work he had done for me. So I asked him to check my self adjusting brakes to see what was going on. At this point I had towed the 5'er approx 1,000 miles and I was 280 miles from my dealer. He found 3 brakes were OK, but the left rear did not have the adjusting mechanism inside the hub. Yep, the adjusting wheel and self adjusting mechanism was NOT THERE. So what I had was a 1/4 reduction in total braking capacity and 2/3 of what I did have was on the right side. So every time I applied the brakes the TV would swing to the left slightly. As I said before I was lucky I didn't have to make a panic braking.

I told the repair guy to replace the entire hub assembly and I sent pictures to my dealer. They contacted Jayco who contacted Dexter. Dexter called me the same day I called my dealer and gave me instructions on how to send them the bill. They paid it no questions asked. It was approx $435.00 as I recall.

What I learned at this point is that if you feel something isn't right, don't ignore it.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 02:49 PM   #15

Almost two months and finally between Lippert an Jayco they have agreed to replace all brake Assemblies, drums, bearings, seals and one rim and tire. My RV has been at dealer longer than I have owned it. The dealer has been great with daily updates and copies of e mails. Pretty sad when under warranty it will be three months to get a brake issue resolved. Parts are not even shipping until March. If I had no warranty I could of ordered the parts an been road ready in a week. I can tell u this. If I ever by a new Rv again that is shipped I will make the dealer remove one wheel and drum so I can see the brake condition before it leaves the lot.
Rock
Old 03-02-2016, 04:59 PM   #16

The TireMinder tire pressure monitors also have a temperature gauge. I think that ought to be standard issue on all RV's. They can prevent a lot of problems before they get serious or dangerous. Just a thought.
2013 GMC Sierra 2500 CC SB 4x4 Duramax
skijlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:08 AM   #17

Dealer received all brake parts and left side is done and rim tire replaced. Have to now wait on right side since all the backing plates were left sides. Hopefully the front cap damage will be repaired by the time brakes arrive
Rock
Old 03-08-2016, 07:23 AM   #18
Site Team

I had little to no braking on my new rig back in 2011. A few trips to the dealer and my truck dealer and the problem was all brakes were contaminated with axle grease. NOTE: I had never lubed them.
Jayco and Dexter provided all new brake assemblies and my dealer replaced them. All under warranty.

What a difference!

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:30 AM   #19

Curious Norty... I'm going through the same thing right now. Almost convinced it's the truck (as opposed to Ford)
Dealer took the wheels apart twice, last time burnished them, still nothing.
How many times did they look at yours? And how couldn't they see the grease the first time?
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:40 AM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
Curious Norty... I'm going through the same thing right now. Almost convinced it's the truck (as opposed to Ford)
Dealer took the wheels apart twice, last time burnished them, still nothing.
How many times did they look at yours? And how couldn't they see the grease the first time?
Because they could not get authorization to charge the labor to Jayco. IOW, they never looked! It took 3 trips to get some attention but when they looked it was obvious someone pumped them full of grease.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote