Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-10-2016, 05:21 PM   #51

klassic
You sound as frustrated as I am now after my brake issue and having my new baby ran into at the repair lot. U need to get the dealer to tow ur FW than that will 100% rule that out. Now u will know it is the truck. Call e trailer and talk to them and also find a good Ford site and post ur problem. That will let u know if others have had issues and check for any Ford service bulletins. If u find nothing than go after market or buy a new truck like u said it is ancient three years old (lol). Mine is ten and will be around till I am to old to tow anymore. Dodge could not figure out my problem but a guy on the dodge Cummings web site had the same issue. Mexican built truck with a brake wire in the factory tow package not connected to a connector. Mine was out of warranty but Dodge fixed for free and I gave the tech a few bucks.
Rock

Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 05:41 PM   #52

Klassic - Can I make a suggestion? Can you take a new truck for an extended test drive from one of the big 3? They will let you do that down here in the States sometimes for several hours...sometimes for a full day or two. If you can, hook up and see if you can tell a difference?? I would even go so far as to try it with 2 different manufacturers. Would definitely tell you if it's the truck or the trailer. Only down side is that you may want to purchase a new truck!

'16 Ram 3500 MC CTD Dually, 4:10 rear
'14 Ram 2500 MC CTD (gone)
'14 287BHBE (gone)
'16 North Point 377RLBH (current and hopefully last)
Bookemdanno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 05:55 PM   #53

I got the truck November of 2011.. So it is actually 4 1/2 years old. Haha.

I did do this with the dealer (we we are talking about the Jayco dealer?)
They have an older 450 dually. He could drive all over with his P2 manual slider on.
That's why they agreed to taking the wheels off for the second time.
But after it was found out their contoller isn't working very good, and they don't care because that truck could stop a train.

So once again any theory of which is ACTUALLY at fault, truck or trailer, still remains a mystery.
I'm 90% sure it's the truck.
I can't possibly have two 5vers in a row with bad brakes when the previous one worked prefect behind my previous truck. Then all of a sudden it doesn't.
Then I get a new one with the exact same issue??
There's only one common denominator

I really need the same truck as mine to pull it and let Ford see it happen
The Ford dealer will have NOTHING to do with helping out with that idea.

I know people but they don't have a hitch, and to be 100% accurate it needs to be a 2012
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 06:03 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
Klassic - Can I make a suggestion? Can you take a new truck for an extended test drive from one of the big 3? They will let you do that down here in the States sometimes for several hours...sometimes for a full day or two. If you can, hook up and see if you can tell a difference?? I would even go so far as to try it with 2 different manufacturers. Would definitely tell you if it's the truck or the trailer. Only down side is that you may want to purchase a new truck!
That's not a bad idea.
Except the truck would have to have the pucks in the bed and I would have to not scratch the heck out of them

This is my 5th truck off the same salesmen. I've never actually talked to him about it. Maybe he will be cool with me just doing it.
Old 03-10-2016, 09:08 PM   #55

Klassic, I have been following this thread and missed something on the way. Are you using elect/hyd brakes with a built in factory controller?
Redbird7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 09:46 PM   #56

No... Normal electric brakes with a built in factory Ford controller.
My 3rd Ford controller...the first controller that I have to drive at a setting of 10 to get marginally poor braking.
Old 03-10-2016, 09:58 PM   #57

Thats a tough one. Ford controllers work off of inertia and braking power on the pedal. Thats why they do not work as good as an aftermarket inertia controller. Its hard to trouble shoot them at a stand still. What size brakes do you have on your trailer? I am thinking a 12x2. Have you checked your ground on your truck? I have a dodge in the shop that stopped working after 4 months (2015). We checked the ohms on the ground post on truck plugs. Needs to be below .5. We were at 1.4. Added ground to plug and fixed it. Have you contacted Tekonsha? They made the controller and maybe help some. Still think.....
Old 03-10-2016, 10:14 PM   #58

I'm thinking I'll be checking the ground tomorrow now.
My 2006 and 2009 controllers worked fine. I always towed set at 7. If I slid the manual slider the wheels would lock. I have a hard time locking the wheels with the 2012 to make the hitch slider slide

I didn't know Tekonsha made the controller... You've opened a new door for me.
Old 03-10-2016, 10:24 PM   #59

Are you using the factory bumper plug or a bed plug aftermarket added? Has Ford replaced the brake controller already? Im not sure an aftermartket will fix this. And you would be happier!
Old 03-10-2016, 10:29 PM   #60

Both 7way plugs are stock and it doesn't matter which one I'm plugged into, braking is the same.
Ford won't even talk to me about it. They checked it once under warranty and said it works fine.
And said I have bad trailer brakes. They don't even know what they were checking for.
I'm also thinking about buying a new one for 100$ on eBay, but I need to be more sure

I do remember reading, years ago, about Ford having bad trailer plug grounds right out of the factory, but I forget what condition that caused.