Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-04-2016, 07:20 AM   #1

Major brake problem

You might have seen my post in the FBTS owners thread. New unit and left front brake got up to 375 the other three 125-140 on my heat gun first stop. I backed off the adjuster on left front with no effect on temp lowering. Once home jacked all wheels and all spun freely. Short trip to dealer the left front 250-275. Dealer just called and left front is totally ruined even the rim. The other three drums are grovved and linings shot. The axle and spindles fine. They r putting in a claim for all new drums, shoe Assy and bearings. So what happened. The other three never got hot but are wore out. No problems on my last Rv and brake controller works fine zero voltage when driving. I have a feeling who ever towed my RV from factory to Tampa cooked the brakes somehow. The other three never got hot for me at all and should of been fine. If somehow a stray voltage was getting to the magnets than all of the brakes should of been super hot. That is why I think who ever towed it here might of had a bad hook up and toasted them all. I asked if I could get the non self adjusting installed which r cheaper. Anyone have any other ideas that caused this!
Tks
Rock
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 12:33 PM   #2

Other then the high temp, did the rig stop fine...or did it feel like poor braking?

After you backed off the shoes, why did the drum still heat up?
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 02:14 PM   #3

klassic
The brakes seemed to work fine, no pull or chatter. The reason the left front ran hot was the bearings were bad. I found an article on line that the brake manufacture said if the drum is out over .015-.020 the shoes will move and constantly keep adjusting. They adjusted going forward or backing. All the wear had to happen during Delievery or I would of felt the drag and the other three never got hot when checked. The only explanation is the front left had a warped drum from factory and delivery truck either had a bad controller with voltage to brakes or they used the trailer brakes set to max to stop the truck. You know it got hot when the left wheel lug nut melted into the cast alum rim. I am surprised the spindle is still good but the two trips I took I greased the center lube hubs with synthetic high temp grease before each outing.
Rock
Old 02-04-2016, 03:29 PM   #4

Makes me want to get a temp gun... How else would you have suspected anything until the wheel passed you on the interstate.
Old 02-04-2016, 03:35 PM   #5

I keep my laser gin in the drivers door pocket. I don't check my temps all the time, but perodically, including the tv.

I'd be concerned about the spindle that hot. I wonder if the temp was lost, I might push for an axle replacement after some research

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 03:54 PM   #6

If the wheel bearings were installed incorrect at the manufacturer (i.e. over tightened) there is no doubt that would cause severe overheating. Once high heat starts transferring to other components things start going south fast. Any chance that's were the problem originated and everything went down hill from there???
Slotted and Dimpled Brake Rotors
Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Ultimate Airbags with WirelessAIR Controller
TexasRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 05:18 AM   #7

TexasRT
Could of been over tight from factory but that does not explain the severe wear on the other three. My first trip I forgot the heat gun and the second trip I was shocked when I stopped and found the high temp. If not for the gun you could feel the heat but would have no idea just how hot. The other three were fine and I know the 350-375 I found would not of melted the lug nut to the rim. That had to get way hotter and had to occur during delievery. How else can you explain that the other three never heated up, spun freely but were severely worn and drums grooved. I will bet they had the brake controller set to max to save the tow vehicle brakes since that is all they do is tow heavy rigs
Rock
Old 02-05-2016, 05:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
TexasRT
Could of been over tight from factory but that does not explain the severe wear on the other three. My first trip I forgot the heat gun and the second trip I was shocked when I stopped and found the high temp. If not for the gun you could feel the heat but would have no idea just how hot. The other three were fine and I know the 350-375 I found would not of melted the lug nut to the rim. That had to get way hotter and had to occur during delievery. How else can you explain that the other three never heated up, spun freely but were severely worn and drums grooved. I will bet they had the brake controller set to max to save the tow vehicle brakes since that is all they do is tow heavy rigs
Rock
Rock
Unfortunately you'll never know for sure, but your theory makes a lot of sense. On an up note, you didn't completely lose a wheel bearing going down the highway. I guess all you can do at this point is get her fixed and get back to enjoying it. Good Luck with the repairs and keep us updated.
Slotted and Dimpled Brake Rotors
Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Ultimate Airbags with WirelessAIR Controller
TexasRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 07:11 AM   #9

Not happy right now with Jayco. Dealer called and said Jayco will only pay for one complete brake, drum and wheel and not the other three brakes. Jayco told my dealer to call Lippert
I spoke with Jayco yesterday and told them what I thought in no uncertain term. Dealer is now going up the Jayco food chain and so am I. Dealer thinks maybe the truck that towed my Rv pulled the breakaway and overheated them. Something happened how can u melt the cast alum rim at one lug nut. Smoke had to billow out of this wheel luckey no fire or blown tire. Dealer told Jayco trailer is unsafe unless all four are changed out. This will be resolved!!!
Rock
Old 02-10-2016, 07:19 AM   #10

Let me add one thing about my dealers service. I have received a call everyday about my RV to update on parts on order and how things were progressing. I am so impressed with these updates. My last Rv I dealt with camping world and good luck even trying to get a return call from there service dept
Rock
Old 02-10-2016, 07:36 AM   #11

When my rig came in I had, potential, brake problems (long story)
I heard the service manager talking to Jayco and said they WILL NOT RELEASE THIS UNIT to the customer because of the liability the dealer can face if there is an unsafe braking situation.
Jayco approved a total detailed brake inspection and to sand the shoes.

You are in a bad situation now because you've already towed your rig. I believe you, but as far as someone else is concerned maybe you drove with your controller maxed and your foot on the brake.
Hope it works out for you.
Old 02-10-2016, 07:38 AM   #12

Glad you have a great service department. Just curious, are they putting in a claim to replace the melted wheel too? Seems it should be covered too.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 07:52 AM   #13

Jayco is replacing the rim and tire have only towed twice and like I have said when I found the left front heating up the other three ran no hotter than 150 after stopping. When driving got good mileage, controller zero volts and no stray current at plug. When towing and stopping all seemed good. What ever happened took place before I got it. Told dealer I did not think breakaway came on that the tow from factory probably had there controller to max to save there brakes and left front had out of round drum to cause over adjustment driving. If not for the left front being hot would never of found the wear and groves on the others
Rock
Old 02-11-2016, 06:30 AM   #14

Brake issues can be serious as we all know and not always obvious. When my Designer was brand new I never thought it braked right. I couldn't put my finger on it, but just not right. Fortunately I never had to make a panic stop at that point or the result could have been much different.

Finally one day I saw a mobile RV repair guy in the park where I was hosting that I knew from previous work he had done for me. So I asked him to check my self adjusting brakes to see what was going on. At this point I had towed the 5'er approx 1,000 miles and I was 280 miles from my dealer. He found 3 brakes were OK, but the left rear did not have the adjusting mechanism inside the hub. Yep, the adjusting wheel and self adjusting mechanism was NOT THERE. So what I had was a 1/4 reduction in total braking capacity and 2/3 of what I did have was on the right side. So every time I applied the brakes the TV would swing to the left slightly. As I said before I was lucky I didn't have to make a panic braking.

I told the repair guy to replace the entire hub assembly and I sent pictures to my dealer. They contacted Jayco who contacted Dexter. Dexter called me the same day I called my dealer and gave me instructions on how to send them the bill. They paid it no questions asked. It was approx $435.00 as I recall.

What I learned at this point is that if you feel something isn't right, don't ignore it.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 02:49 PM   #15

Almost two months and finally between Lippert an Jayco they have agreed to replace all brake Assemblies, drums, bearings, seals and one rim and tire. My RV has been at dealer longer than I have owned it. The dealer has been great with daily updates and copies of e mails. Pretty sad when under warranty it will be three months to get a brake issue resolved. Parts are not even shipping until March. If I had no warranty I could of ordered the parts an been road ready in a week. I can tell u this. If I ever by a new Rv again that is shipped I will make the dealer remove one wheel and drum so I can see the brake condition before it leaves the lot.
Rock
Old 03-02-2016, 04:59 PM   #16

The TireMinder tire pressure monitors also have a temperature gauge. I think that ought to be standard issue on all RV's. They can prevent a lot of problems before they get serious or dangerous. Just a thought.
2013 GMC Sierra 2500 CC SB 4x4 Duramax
skijlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:08 AM   #17

Dealer received all brake parts and left side is done and rim tire replaced. Have to now wait on right side since all the backing plates were left sides. Hopefully the front cap damage will be repaired by the time brakes arrive
Rock
Old 03-08-2016, 07:23 AM   #18
Site Team

I had little to no braking on my new rig back in 2011. A few trips to the dealer and my truck dealer and the problem was all brakes were contaminated with axle grease. NOTE: I had never lubed them.
Jayco and Dexter provided all new brake assemblies and my dealer replaced them. All under warranty.

What a difference!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:30 AM   #19

Curious Norty... I'm going through the same thing right now. Almost convinced it's the truck (as opposed to Ford)
Dealer took the wheels apart twice, last time burnished them, still nothing.
How many times did they look at yours? And how couldn't they see the grease the first time?
Old 03-08-2016, 07:40 AM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
Curious Norty... I'm going through the same thing right now. Almost convinced it's the truck (as opposed to Ford)
Dealer took the wheels apart twice, last time burnished them, still nothing.
How many times did they look at yours? And how couldn't they see the grease the first time?
Because they could not get authorization to charge the labor to Jayco. IOW, they never looked! It took 3 trips to get some attention but when they looked it was obvious someone pumped them full of grease.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote