Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-10-2019, 07:44 PM   #1

Major problems 2018 317RLOK Eagle 5th Wheel

We purchased a new 2018 317RLOK Eagle in November 2018. After testing it out camping realized dometic furnace was not working fully and had something partially blocking the exhaust creating carbon monoxide alarm (We immediately shut it down!!!). Also, had problems with Xantrex freedom x inverter. The inverter wasn't powering residential frig when running on battery power along with some other issues. Luckily the fireplace was sufficient for our short test camp. Dealer finally gave appt on 7 Dec 18. They now have had it 5 weeks and tell us the furnace has to be completely replaced along with rewiring the inverter. Never expected these major issues with what we thought was a quality 5th Wheel. Anyone else had these issues? Thanks for any advice. Steve
ODA095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 07:52 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum.

IIRC, on this forum, your issues are unique although knowing that probably isn't much help.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 07:58 PM   #3

Major problems 2018 317RLOK Eagle 5th Wheel

Haven’t heard of these issues. Did everything work at PDI? That’s the pre-delivery inspection at the dealer before you take ownership... Similar to buying a new vehicle. You take a “test ride” before leaving leaving the dealer...
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:38 PM   #4

Welcome to the forum and if it's any consolation these are just minor problems and real easy fixes. When issues arrize under warranty we all have to get in line and if you've been reading the forums while doing your research over the past year or two this wouldn't have been a shock to you during your first few shakedown outings. Is it right, well NO but that's what happens with mass production of these units.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:44 AM   #5

As someone that has had dozens of issues from electrical wiring issues to a black and gray tank rupturing and flooding the underbelly, to the entire support structure under one of our slide outs collapsing and needing to be completely rebuilt, and who's new RV was in our dealers shop for the first two full summers we owned the trailer to get things fixed, I definitely feel your frustrations.

But believe it or not, there are some that make our woes look like a cake walk.

We are now in our 3rd year of ownership and there is still a half dozen issues on our punch list that were identified before our warranty expired last fall that still need to be fixed upon our return from our winter seasonal stay, including the replacement of our inverter and some fiberglass repairs to the front cap.

So although it may not be much solace, in reality it could be OH SO MUCH WORSE so just know that you are not alone and that Jayco will make things right.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:39 AM   #6

It's pretty much par for the course that when you buy a new RV, it will generate a snag list of things that need to be fixed by the dealer under warranty. Plan on it going in at least once for the repair of these issues. Most of the time (and I do feel for those who have multiple trips to the dealer) you can get on your way and enjoy a good unit for years to come afterwards.

While I understand your frustration, those issues you have are easily corrected. They'll fix it for free and you'll be on your way. This is the reality of RV ownership these days.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:03 AM   #7

Had my 377 almost two years now and my furnace still does not work. Have a tech coming to look at it AGAIN today. So far the replaced the furnace control board, thermostat and the circuit breaker switch on the furnace itself. At this point I think it is time for a new furnace after almost 2 years of issues.
MadJoker TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:05 AM   #8

A all day PDI is needed to catch as much of the problems before you sign the paperwork. Then have them fix the issues on the spot before signing or have it documented that it will be fixed on them.
People get excited and do a walk through instead and no PDI. Then once home or on the first trip they find issues, ones that could be found on a PDI. My wife and I spent 9 hours on our PDI. I was on the roof and under it on a creeper. They fixed everything we found but one thing that required ordering. Then we signed the paperwork and went on our way.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadJoker TX View Post
Had my 377 almost two years now and my furnace still does not work. Have a tech coming to look at it AGAIN today. So far the replaced the furnace control board, thermostat and the circuit breaker switch on the furnace itself. At this point I think it is time for a new furnace after almost 2 years of issues.

If he finds out the actual cause of the problem, he can fix it correctly instead of putting a band aid on the symptoms. I’m with you though, sounds like it’s time for a new one. (I’d consider swapping the secret breakers before installing the new one just in case).

BTW, hows the redneck repair holding up? [emoji3]

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Earl View Post
A all day PDI is needed to catch as much of the problems before you sign the paperwork. Then have them fix the issues on the spot before signing or have it documented that it will be fixed on them.
People get excited and do a walk through instead and no PDI. Then once home or on the first trip they find issues, ones that could be found on a PDI. My wife and I spent 9 hours on our PDI. I was on the roof and under it on a creeper. They fixed everything we found but one thing that required ordering. Then we signed the paperwork and went on our way.

Earl

Agree, we did an extensive PDI on ours. Furnace first started to fail when temps dropped below 40 out so of course not something I could simulate on demand. Otherwise it worked fine, that’s when they said control board was not good. Once they fixed that we kept having issues.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:12 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
If he finds out the actual cause of the problem, he can fix it correctly instead of putting a band aid on the symptoms. I’m with you though, sounds like it’s time for a new one. (I’d consider swapping the secret breakers before installing the new one just in case).

BTW, hows the redneck repair holding up? [emoji3]

So far so good. Working to see if I can get the water heater replaced under warranty for kicks and grins. My have to pay the service center a visit as they are horrible at getting back to people.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:19 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBound View Post
It's pretty much par for the course that when you buy a new RV, it will generate a snag list of things that need to be fixed by the dealer under warranty. Plan on it going in at least once for the repair of these issues. Most of the time (and I do feel for those who have multiple trips to the dealer) you can get on your way and enjoy a good unit for years to come afterwards.

While I understand your frustration, those issues you have are easily corrected. They'll fix it for free and you'll be on your way. This is the reality of RV ownership these days.
The key to it all is Quality Control and Jayco either has no such plan or it looks like Swiss cheese. The rate at which they pump their RVs out is astonishing. Take a manufacturer like Vanleigh RV where they produce only two a day, the quality is remarkable but you will pay for the quality! They even have a RV park on sight where they test each unit just as if the customer was using it.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 12:14 PM   #13

The key is to buy an RV thats built better.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 12:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by goducks View Post
goducks, does that mean not purchasing a Jayco
Formerly from Sequim, WA
Old 01-11-2019, 12:29 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRUEBBE View Post
goducks, does that mean not purchasing a Jayco
Did I say that?
Old 01-11-2019, 12:37 PM   #16

Quote:
I guess I should have asked "built better" than what?.............Jayco
Formerly from Sequim, WA
Old 01-11-2019, 12:45 PM   #17

Cool

Thanks for all the responses. Its somewhat of a comfort knowing that these problems are somewhat unfortunately common. I probably needed to spend more time on the PDI prior to signing. I got in a hurry due to my distance back home (100+ miles in crazy traffic). Other then the mentioned problems it seems like a solid RV and I'm still confident that Jayco makes a solid product.. Hopefully will get it back soon??
ODA095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 01:01 PM   #18

It's probably a daunting feeling right now having spent all that money and then having to deal with problems and things not working right. Be patient, stay calm, and get those issues taken care of. Trust me when I say you have TONS of good times coming in that thing. Get the tough stuff out of the way first and you will really enjoy the good stuff.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:25 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRUEBBE View Post
I guess I should have asked "built better" than what?.............Jayco
These kinds of issues are typical of most everything produced out of Elkhart.
Jayco's just one of many. The only thing that separates any of them is floor plan, interior appointments and exterior graphics. Fit and finish is equal. Thats why you can have low end units with zero issues and high end units with many issues and vice versa.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:41 PM   #20

Quote:
These kinds of issues are typical of most everything produced out of Elkhart.
Jayco's just one of many. The only thing that separates any of them is floor plan, interior appointments and exterior graphics. Fit and finish is equal. Thats why you can have low end units with zero issues and high end units with many issues and vice versa.
Formerly from Sequim, WA

Tags
dometic, eagle, xantrex