Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-13-2018, 08:59 AM   #1

Manual operation of Slideout

I have a 2006 Jayco Jayfight Fifth Wheel Trailer.
I never had a slideout failure until now as the motor will not retract the slideout.

I have a crank to manually operate the slide out, but I can not find the location of the nut for which it is intended.

I contacted Jayco Help Desk who only suggested, I contact a local Jayco Dealer, but non exist within 200 miles of my location.

Is the nut visible from the outside or do I have to remove a section of the cover underneath the trailer to access it?

Please help
macleadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 09:07 AM   #2

There "should be" a panel already cut into the plasticore.
Old 08-13-2018, 01:07 PM   #3

Usually there is a panel in the under cover behind the rear wheel on the passenger side that will give you access to the drive.
Old 08-13-2018, 03:35 PM   #4

Are you sure the crank is for the slide? Might be for the landing gear. To manually operate my slides (non-Schwintek) I have to get under the trailer and remove the access panel as others have suggested.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 06:04 PM   #5

Manual operating Slideout

The crank I have is too large for the landing gear manual nut so I assumed it was for the manual operation of slideout.
macleadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 06:33 PM   #6

If you have a through the frame slide mechanism you will find a square service panel cut out of the underneath plasticore and screwed back into place (if you have the underneath covered). Remove the service panel and you will find the slide motor and the slide actuator. At the end of the slide actuator you should see a 3/4 inch hex head crank extension. Get a socket and ratchet and start cranking clockwise on the hex head crank extension to bring the slide in. When the slide is retracted fully then stop cranking on the hex nut; do not over do it or you can damage some gears. You might want to get some pain reliever out for when you finally get the slide cranked in. It will take awhile. Good luck!
Old 08-13-2018, 06:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwhit View Post
If you have a through the frame slide mechanism you will find a square service panel cut out of the underneath plasticore and screwed back into place (if you have the underneath covered). Remove the service panel and you will find the slide motor and the slide actuator. At the end of the slide actuator you should see a 3/4 inch hex head crank extension. Get a socket and ratchet and start cranking clockwise on the hex head crank extension to bring the slide in. When the slide is retracted fully then stop cranking on the hex nut; do not over do it or you can damage some gears. You might want to get some pain reliever out for when you finally get the slide cranked in. It will take awhile. Good luck!
I have 3 different crank handles, spare tire, landing gear, & slide motor.

Just went thru this a few months back. I was lucky that we had it back at the farm from our Arkansas trip in June. Ours wouldn't go out. The motor/gear was so frozen I couldn't move it with a 1/2in drive break over handle.
Worst thing was the motor/gear wasnt the one Jayco said was supposed to be there but was able to get it direct from OEM supplier for half what local dealer wanted.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 07:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear View Post
I have 3 different crank handles, spare tire, landing gear, & slide motor.

Just went thru this a few months back. I was lucky that we had it back at the farm from our Arkansas trip in June. Ours wouldn't go out. The motor/gear was so frozen I couldn't move it with a 1/2in drive break over handle.
Worst thing was the motor/gear wasnt the one Jayco said was supposed to be there but was able to get it direct from OEM supplier for half what local dealer wanted.
I had a slide motor to freeze up about 12 years ago. Same as you, could not budge it clock or counter clock wise. Removed the motor and disassembled it on the work bench. Found the "brake" was corroded causing it to be permanently "applied". Cleaned it up with water and steel wool, reassembled and reinstalled it. Never a problem after that. The vinyl boot the factory used to slide over the entire end of the motor where the wires were was not adequately positioned. That allowed contaminates (water, salty air, etc) to enter.

2020 Ram Longhorn 6.7 Cummins Aisin CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 371FLFS
JaycoAl is offline   Reply With Quote