Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-31-2016, 12:38 AM   #1

Manual Slider Hitch

Hello,
we have just collected our new Jayco 26.5BHS which we are very happy with.
We have a manual slider hitch as i have a short bed truck.
the slider hitch is perfect as it allows a better turning circle, the only problem i have is when the unit is hitched on the truck & i move the lever to move into the slider position it is extremely stiff to do this, is this normal or will it loose up the more i use the hitch?
should i drop the front jacks to take the weight of the hitch to make this easier?
I have a pro series 15000 hitch.

regards

stuart
stuart0411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 02:43 AM   #2

I have an auto-sliding hitch. I enjoy the fact that I do not have to worry about flipping the lever to make a tight turn. The thought of maybe forgetting one day and doing some damage scared the heck out of me. It does not make sense that you would have to drop the jacks to be able to move the lever to get into the slider position. Perhaps if you use your brake controller and "back into" or "pull away" from the FW it will loosen and take some pressure off of it.

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD Duramax SB SRW
schiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 04:58 AM   #3

My slide is extremely tight too. I've found that I rarely need it though, so haven't really done anything to try to correct it
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 10:35 AM   #4

i have to use a slider hitch as we live in Ireland & have a VW Amarok truck so limited by space and weight.
is there a lightweight auto slider hitch on the market?
stuart0411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 02:29 PM   #5

I think the weight of the HT will make the slider a little difficult to deploy. We have a similar set-up and I find that the slider is difficult to move. I would suggest you spray some type of lubricant on the slide rails and see if this helps. On mine, sometimes I have moved the slide lever to the slide will go back, pulled forward slowly and applied the trailer brakes and this will move the hitch back for you. Just do go too fast. We don't have the pro slider, but have used this one since 2003 in three different trucks. Just be sure to make sure you are securely hitched if you try the pull-forward and put on the brakes method.
2013 Polaris Sportsman 550 EXP
2008 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2
jal0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 03:54 PM   #6

I was told not to have the full weight of trailer when using the slider, I had a reese 20k pro slider, I would lower the front jacks and take the weight off for a smoother slide (Pinnacle 38FLSA pin weight is 3000lbs+)... I have a short bed truck and the design of the pinnacle allows for an extremely sharp turn with a short bed, I soon realized that the slider was wasted effort and have replaced the slider assembly with the standard A-arms... has never been an issue and I now have a little extra room in the bed...